Playing C# without dropping the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I like the idea, and use the 1,2 or 3 finger down technique as often as I can, but there are times when you simply can't. Take that progression of E...C# below it...A
XXX XXO gotta have that one open, not an option for the E...to whatever you choose... to XXO OOO.

XXX XXO
OOO OOOx or OOO OOX or OOO XXX
XXO OOO

The first seems to be easiest for me, but still something that takes serious practice. The angle doesn't matter when I play. I just don't have the stability to do the three notes quickly, and on the third note hit the holes exactly if I don't have a finger down somewhere.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-27 15:50, tyghress wrote:
I like the idea, and use the 1,2 or 3 finger down technique as often as I can, but there are times when you simply can't. Take that progression of E...C# below it...A
XXX XXO gotta have that one open, not an option for the E...to whatever you choose... to XXO OOO.

XXX XXO
OOO OOOx or OOO OOX or OOO XXX
XXO OOO

The first seems to be easiest for me, but still something that takes serious practice. The angle doesn't matter when I play. I just don't have the stability to do the three notes quickly, and on the third note hit the holes exactly if I don't have a finger down somewhere.
Yo there, my favorite whistling feline.

Have you tried this?

xxx xxo
ooo oxo
xxo oxo or xxo ooo

:smile:
/Bloomfield
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I second what Bloomfield said. In tunes in E-whatever-mode-comes-from-D-whistle, I'm always leaving the right-middle finger down instead for A/B/C# ... it works. :wink:

Of course, I also tend to use my pinkies to stabalize the whistle pretty much whenever I want, though I try not to leave them locked down, or rather, I don't try to keep them locked down and they move a bit from time to time (I think maybe locking them down restrains the ring finger a little, or maybe not. Now I'm going to be paying attention to this whole pinky issue ... but they stay down on the flute no matter what! Then again, there they support actual weight...)

--Chris
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Yeah, E-C#-A (for instance, in Atholl Highlanders) is easily done

xxx xxo
ooo xxo
xxo ooo
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

If you need a good tune to practise finguering with lots of awkward C sharps, try Rosie's Reel (recorded by Lunasa on alto F whistle), and find out what position is best for you. Here you can find it :
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html
cheers,
Erik
Listen, play and have fun!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

As a matter of fact, Bloo, I hadn't....

and now, trying it on my newly muted Burke, I can see how it works, but quite suddenly I feel like a rank beginner again.

hmmm....is it worth the change over? I mean maybe I should retrain myself to that pattern.

Okay all you lurking instructors. . .instructor wannabees. . .etc.
thanks for your input.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-27 17:51, tyghress wrote:

Okay all you lurking instructors. . .instructor wannabees. . .etc.
thanks for your input.
Hey, kitten. You asked. :wink:
/Bloomfield
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Right now I'm kind of like the centipede who was asked how he managed to keep track of all his legs as he walked, and couldn't move a step from that day forward.

"Kitten" ??? I am a Ferocious Predator and don't you forget it!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Thanks for the great input and ideas. On tunes like High Road to Garloch I'll continue to just put that right hand pinkie down, and my conscience will be free.

Tom
Short bio: 1952-
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-08-27 18:47, Whitmores75087 wrote:
Thanks for the great input and ideas. On tunes like High Road to Garloch I'll continue to just put that right hand pinkie down, and my conscience will be free.

Tom
Tom, Tyghre is a major fan of the stinking rose, and calls this High Road to Garlic.
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

Have the same prob with the dixon low d too. Didm't slip that much, but my fingers aren't able to return back to covering the holes. When playing thru C# I tend to rush naturally/uncontrollable 'cos for fear of whistle slipping altogether.