Driving

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you ever play your whistles while driving?

Poll ended at Sat May 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Yes, it helps pass the time during red lights and traffic.
49%
No, I don't want to end up like Phineas Gage.
46%
Other
2%
None of the above
2%

Total votes: 41

CRC

Driving

Post by CRC »

Playing the whistle while you drive. Is this just a huge joke or do some of you actually do it? :)
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Red lights only. Back when I had a car, anyway.
MaryC
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Post by MaryC »

At red lights in cities where I don't kow many people. (I figure it looks really weird from the outside, and live in a city that's very small!)

MaryC
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

At red lights only not while moving. I also play outside stores while waiting for my wife. To this end I have a Gen Eb, Feadog brass D, Waltons Mellow D, and a Gen C in the pocket on the drivers door.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
ned o the hill

Post by ned o the hill »

Guilty.

I have both of Joanie's Song of the Irish Whistle CD's in the truck's rotation player, and my Howard low D (though not used much at red lights), Dixon low G (ear-learning Magh Seola), Gen Bb and Feadog D aboard in a Rube Goldbergean holder.
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
emmline

Post by emmline »

[maternal rant]
No! Why do people do these things while driving? And, while I'm on the topic--what is it with women and cell phones in cars? Sometimes I sit at red lights and the green light women zoom around the corner phones firmly planted to ears. Do they ever stop talking on the phone? Ever? Men walk up and down shopping center fronts with the phone stuck to their heads, but in the car--it's usually chicks. I can safely say, however, that I have never seen anyone of either gender driving and playing a tin whistle.
[/maternal rant]
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

emmline wrote:[maternal rant]
No! Why do people do these things while driving? And, while I'm on the topic--what is it with women and cell phones in cars? Sometimes I sit at red lights and the green light women zoom around the corner phones firmly planted to ears. Do they ever stop talking on the phone? Ever? Men walk up and down shopping center fronts with the phone stuck to their heads, but in the car--it's usually chicks. I can safely say, however, that I have never seen anyone of either gender driving and playing a tin whistle.
[/maternal rant]
It's now illegal in the U.K. (talking on phones in cars - they haven't got around to the playing of musical instruments yet).
It hasn't changed a thing.
Oh, and both genders are equally guilty over here.

I'm looking forward to tuning in to the Parliamentary debate on the Bill to ban in-car double-bass playing.
That Scottish Git.
CRC

Post by CRC »

So, a few of you do. :) Only reason I wouldn't is I don't want to end up like him. Image
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No. There are too many &#@%^%$$#@'s out there on the roads, bewheeled and on foot, to pay attention to.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't drive.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Usually just when I'm the passenger, though sometimes at red lights or long waits when driving. I *used* to drive on long journeys in my old pickup truck, on seemingly endless back roads with absolutely no traffic, ... then I would play while driving, steering with my knees and elbows. I've grown up a little. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

emmline wrote:[maternal rant]
[/maternal rant]
Here it is unusual to see a driver of any vehicle, any age, any sex, that doesn't have a cell phone apparently permenantly attached to their ear.

It has become epidemic.

Myself, I don't even like talking on the phone, and for those times when there is no choice, I have a hands-free unit in the car.

I can't imagine spending all day doing nothing that didn't involve talking on the phone. Sounds pretty hellish, actually.

--James
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

Nanohedron wrote:No. There are too many &#@%^%$$#@'s out there on the roads, bewheeled and on foot, to pay attention to.
Bewheeled!!!!
What a thoroughly splendid word!
That Scottish Git.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chief Wanganui wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:No. There are too many &#@%^%$$#@'s out there on the roads, bewheeled and on foot, to pay attention to.
Bewheeled!!!!
Why, thank you. I do think the "be-" prefix is underused; you can do so much with it. Some of the results don't work well or are frankly ridiculous, but I enjoy trying.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron wrote:
Chief Wanganui wrote:
Bewheeled!!!!
Why, thank you. I do think the "be-" prefix is underused; you can do so much with it. Some of the results don't work well or are frankly ridiculous, but I enjoy trying.
But now I must bestir myself, and prepare to drive to the Sunday session UNBEWHISTLED. :wink: