Movie Recommendations

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TJ Hanlon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TJ Hanlon »

Anything by the Coen Brothers is good (Raising Arizona, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Tou, etc...)

But some favs are The Hudsucker Proxy and Barton Fink. Blood Simple is well done, too.

The best? The Big Lebowski

tjh
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Satin Rouge- The story of a conservative Tunisian widow coming out of her shell as life goes on following her husband's death. -Lots of belly dancing
and good Arab music-
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

What was the name of the movie Dale said was the best documentary ever? Something with angels? Dogs? I forget. I tried to find it right after that and couldn't.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

FJohnSharp wrote:What was the name of the movie Dale said was the best documentary ever? Something with angels? Dogs? I forget. I tried to find it right after that and couldn't.
Was it that documentary with Benji and Kathleen Turner and Chevy Chase?
Reasonable person
Walden
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Monster

Post by Monster »

hyldemoer wrote:
izzarina wrote: AACCKK!! I love Johnny Depp...I think he's a magnificent actor.
Johnny Depp and dark?
"Dead Man"

Iggy Pop has a small part in it but he's in drag.

My favorite movie without Johnny Depp?
"Ghost Dog: the Way of the Samurai"
Everyone is soooo Metal jitsu in it.
Hey, I went out and rented "Ghost Dog" because I wanted to find out what , Metal jitsu is about, (still not too sure).. I Thought it was a pretty good movie, but not great. If anyone wants to do some interesting reading go here http://users.tkk.fi/~renko/hag1.html and read "Hagakure", it's a book on the ways of the Samauri.
insert uber smart comment here
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Just watched The Professional with Jean Reno on cable. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this film. It's nothing special, but it has some good photography and a quirky character or two.

Watching the last 10 minutes of Platoon, followed by the first 15 minutes of Apocalypse Now is kinda neat. Martin and Charlie look like twins.

For a little darkness and some good charachter acting, Gardens of Stone is OK.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:..."The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across The Eighth Dimension" - there's nothing I can say about this that would recommend it enough...
I SO agree. Sheer genius. I'm searching for the DVD.
Sliabh Luachra wrote:..."Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" - Don't let the fact that it has Jim Carey in it chase you away. It's unlike anything he's ever done...
I SO agree. I detest Carey's sub/post Robin Williams relentlessness, but that is a good movie. Not quite good enough for me to buy the DVD... but the wife did, so what the heck.
Dale wrote:Eraserhead--and I'm going to go with a flat statement here--is the weirdest movie I've ever seen. Nothing really even comes close. And for me to say it's the weirdest movie I've ever seen--that's saying something.
I SO agree. Weird, but it has to be seen. I have it on VHS.
Ro3b wrote:I'm not sure which Crash you all are talking about, but if it's the older one by David Cronenberg about the sexual fetishism of car crashes, I highly recommend it to those whose tastes run to that sort of thing.
The Cronenberg movie was OK - worth a try. I have it on DVD. Cronenberg is very hit and miss. Genius one minute, crap the next.

The more recent, unrelated movie named 'Crash' is a superb film. My favourite from the last couple of years. Made me clench my fists and teeth, and made me cry. I can't recall another single movie that did all that to me
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Master and Commander... 'cause I like man-o-war stories

Brazil.... 'cause it was weird

Ghost... 'cause I'm an old softie

Hear My Song...'cause it's a gas

Serenity... but it helps to have seen the Firefly series

Saving Private Ryan....'cause I love Spielberg films and this one just grabbed me by the nads soooo hard.

Schindler's List... see above

Constantine... I have no clue as to why... maybe Rachel Weiss.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I see some Japanese films being recommended here, I'll just throw in some of my own favourites:

"Swallowtail Butterfly" by Shunji Iwai - one of my favourite Japanese movies, stylish and very watchable as well. Cool, complex and surreal.

"Hanabi" (Fireworks) by Takeshi Kitano - the archetypical Takeshi Kitano film with gangsters and violence and tragedy.

"Welcome Back Mr. McDonald" (I think the Japanese title is Raidio no Jikan?) A nice comedy with lots of famous Japanese actors who took a pay cut to do this together.

I caught "Eraserheard" a couple of days back and thought it to be quite disturbing and weird, definitely elicited some sort of reaction from me. The top of my weird films list is still Maya Deren's "Meshes of the Afternoon" though. They showed that in my film studies class last semester and that was really quite bafflingly cool.

I'm now trying to get "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "OldBoy" right now on recommendations of fellow forumers. I'll probably go through the list again on a later date and see what else I might like to get too. In the meantime does anyone have any comments for the following films:

"The Audition" (Japanese)
"The Island" (Korean I think)

Thanks and please keep the recommendations coming!
Last edited by Eldarion on Apr 23, 2012 18:14; edited 100 times in total
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Dumb and dumber.
:lol:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Let me add my vote for "The Producers" ... Mel Brooks has always been one of my faves, but this one takes the proverbial cake... incredible... proves his genius beyond all doubt... :lol: ... the casting is excellent, the costumes stupendous, the whole is an incredible looney lift of levity... I needed that!

Plus there were two snippets of whistle tunes I recognized in there... but I didn't hear enough to identify them... guess I'll just have to suffer through it again... and perhaps rent the original with Gene Wilder... yes... that must needs be done...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

anniemcu wrote:and perhaps rent the original with Gene Wilder
This is the only version whose existence I acknowledge. All others are inferior.

And since we're here, let me suggest some movies I've (re)discovered recently: Groundhog Day, Stand By Me, Capote, and Requiem for a Dream (which has the oh-so-sexy Jared Leto in it).
Last edited by Congratulations on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

Two movies I enjoy watching over and over: Waking Ned Devine and The Secret of Roan Inish.
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Congratulations wrote:
anniemcu wrote:and perhaps rent the original with Gene Wilder
This is the only version whose existence I acknowledge. All others are inferior.

Und zo... vitch iz vitch?? Hmmm?
And since we're here, let me suggest some movies I've (re)discovered recently: Groundhog Day, Stand By Me, Capote, and Requiem for a Dream (which has the oh-so-sexy Jared Leto in it).

Love the first two, have yet to see the second two... and must confess to having no clue who the heck Jared Leto is... :oops:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com