Meg/Sweetone or Generation?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Stock Generations are crap
Quite a statement, quite a few top range whislte players use them. Don't see that happen with Sweetones, ever.

I tried ten Generations in Custy's last week, all were perfectly serviceable whistles.
Last edited by Cayden on Tue May 02, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Peter Laban wrote:
Quite a statement...
previously, Peter Laban wrote:Sweetones are evil little things that shouldn't be called musical instruments
Retaliation, perhaps?
gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gallant_murray »

I would go for a Clarke original. The sweetones...I don't like them. Generations can be good, but for a first whistle I think they can be way too frustrating. My opinion, of course.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

fearfaoin wrote: Retaliation, perhaps?
Probably, the only difference is I offered a contrary (but founded) opinion on purpose to emphasise that your man was better off making up his own mind.

In fairness, ALL beginning whistleplayers I see (and I see a lot of them) start on Generation (type) whistles without any problem whatsoever and I hear beautiful music played on them al lthe time. The forum's thing about Generation whistles became old quite some time ago.

Last edited by Cayden on Tue May 02, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Peter Laban wrote:
Quite a statement, quite a few top range whislte players use them. Don't see that happen with Sweetones, ever.

I tried ten Generations in Custy's last week, all were perfectly serviceable whistles.
That's why I specified "stock." Top range whistlers may use tweaked Generations or vintage Generations, not straight from the store stock ones... not that I've ever heard of anyways. If I am incorrect then excuse my mistake. Also, a newbie wouldn't know how to "service" (if by service you meant tweak) a whistle. I was under the impression that this person had little to no knowledge of whistles and wanted something to play out of the box.
fearfaoin wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:
Quite a statement...
previously, Peter Laban wrote:Sweetones are evil little things that shouldn't be called musical instruments
Retaliation, perhaps?
No, this wasn't retaliation... I hadn't even read his post prior to mine. I aplologize if it came across as such. I don't mind one way or the other if people play whistles I don't like, or if people talk poorly of the whisltes that I like.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

straycat82 wrote: That's why I specified "stock." Top range whistlers may use tweaked Generations or vintage Generations, not straight from the store stock ones... not that I've ever heard of anyways.
Oh yes they do. That whole aspect is grossly overrated, I have several times given the example of Brid O Donohue's whistles which are nice examples of the species but nothing anything earth shattering. But does she make them sound
A few weeks ago I came upon one that used to belong to Josie Hayes, not a vintage one interesting enough, the loveliest and sweetest I have seen in ages. But an off the shel one. I have a few C whistles Micho Russell used to love and if he could he'd borrow them off me for concerts. You'd find othing special about those either.
And the example I gave of the ten tried at Custy's meant to say these off the shelf/straight out of the jar were perfectly suitable for a beginner or anyone else. So, surely, soem are nicer than others but both the 'crap' and the 'special, hard to find' end of the argument are a myth. By the end of the day you just have to learn to play them.

Sean Potts had a special custom job done on his by Peter Hunter. That's true.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

OK...
gonzo914

Re: Meg/Sweetone or Generation?

Post by gonzo914 »

Peter Laban wrote:Opinions differ obviously, try them yourself and make up your own mind, it's the sensible thing.
I would agree that this is sound advice, and we've certainly given the original inquirer a taste of the divergent opinions on this topic.

And I would add that there may be availability issues involved here as well. I live in the middle of the US, and in the unlikely event I should decide that I want another Generation, I'd have to order it. But there are four places in town (and this is not a large town) that carry Sweetones. Indeed, that's how I got started -- I wandered into a toy store and found a display of Sweetones and bought one because my kids were taking dance lessons and I had just found out what those whistle things were. (I bought a C, which I learned very quckly was not what I wanted, although why people insist on using sharps and flats when C is a perfectly good key I'll never understand, but that's another story.)

But I've only seen Generations in one music store (Postsdam, NY) ever, and I travel lots of places and wander into just about any music store that I pass just to see if they have whistles.

So it may be that what Peter finds commonplace where he is may be the exception to us out here on the prairie.

In any event, it's unlikely I would need another Generation because the four I bought were bloody awful. They buzzed like they had gravel in them -- every one of them. And this was not just when I started. I put them away for three years and got them back out again and they still buzzed and were bloody awful. I would think that anyone who got one of these as a first whistle could get very discouraged about whistling very quickly.

On the other hand, the worst Sweetone (or Meg or even those Woodstocks) I've even gotten was at least tolerable, even when I was new. I don't play them much any more, and they may not be high-grade performance quality, but they work. And I wouldn't hesitate to give on to my kids if they wanted to learn how to play.

(And I didn't really stick them in ivy pots. I put them in the Christmas boxes we put together for poor kids, which is probably why they hate us in Africa now.)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

On the one hand, I keep thinking that Paddy Moloney told me that one has to search through a lot of Generations to find a good one and that he thinks they have to be tweaked a bit even then.

On the other hand, Peter's right, I suspect, that this issue may have been overplayed at the expense of learning how to make the whistle sound good.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Those were my exact experiences with the two mentioned brands. For a beginner the Gens were a little frustrating and discouraging. I can play them now, as an experienced whistler, just fine with only some minor tweaks. I think Clarkes are, because of their construction, easier on the ears to a beginning student. Either way, the two are inexpensive and it couldn't hurt to get both and decide for yourself. Whistling is definitely easier to get started on than most other instruments... you can get several new instruments for way cheaper than you could buy one used... saxaphone, for example. :)
alpacama

Post by alpacama »

hi Pieman
I'm new to whistles too, and as you can tell this is a great place to get many opinions!
If I may add my newbie two-cents worth- you may want to get at least two whistles to start with. I didn't, but placed two more orders after receiving my first! That's the wonderful thing about whistles, you don't have to spend alot ( though I'm sure there are plenty of folks here willing to nudge you in that direction :) )
My first whistle was a Clarke original, then I ordered Sweetone and a Feadog, then a Clare (and another Sweetone for my daughter so she would stop stealing mine :D ) They are all D's, and I haven't spent anywhere near what I've spent on my daughter's (concert) flute and saxphone!
It has been very interesting to me to see the different personalities of these whistles, and I find I'm enjoying playing each one, depending on my mood (and the alignment of the planets, barometric pressure and how much coffee I've consumed that day... :) )
Anyway, have fun with whatever you end up purchasing (and I hope you will consider more than one kind)

**Tina
alpacama

Post by alpacama »

hi Pieman
I'm new to whistles too, and as you can tell this is a great place to get many opinions!
If I may add my newbie two-cents worth- you may want to get at least two whistles to start with. I didn't, but placed two more orders after receiving my first! That's the wonderful thing about whistles, you don't have to spend alot ( though I'm sure there are plenty of folks here willing to nudge you in that direction :) )
My first whistle was a Clarke original, then I ordered Sweetone and a Feadog, then a Clare (and another Sweetone for my daughter so she would stop stealing mine :D ) They are all D's, and I haven't spent anywhere near what I've spent on my daughter's (concert) flute and saxphone!
It has been very interesting to me to see the different personalities of these whistles, and I find I'm enjoying playing each one, depending on my mood (and the alignment of the planets, barometric pressure and how much coffee I've consumed that day... :) )
Anyway, have fun with whatever you end up purchasing (and I hope you will consider more than one kind)

**Tina
PieMan

Post by PieMan »

I know what you mean about different stores carrying different whistles. I'm fairly sure the store near me doesn't even carry Clark Sweetones; just Megs. But if there isn't much of a difference, I don't think that should matter. Maybe if I get into whistling some more, I'll order some. (I'd really like to try a Feadog, but again, the store near me doesn't carry them).

So I've decided that I'll go for a Meg (or Sweetone of they have it)
Thanks

EDIT: Well, I just bought my whistle (a silver meg), and It seems to work pretty well. Some notes seem to be out of tune by a few cents, but I have a good feeling it's just because I still suck.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Here... I'll buy a Generation D from the Whistle Shop. And I'll buy a Sweetone from there as well. I'll make recordings using both whistles, and see how they sound. My honest bet is, unless I'm just "unlucky" enough to find that rare gem of a Generation, the Sweetone will come out sounding more pleasant. As far as tuning issues go, The C Sweetone and Megs are the ones with it. The D's are fine for the most part.

And as far as "top players using Generations.." Isn't there an interview with Paddy Moloney and Dale, and how Paddy clearly says, "Usually Mary can always get me a good one" a good one meaning that "rare gem" generation... Not some random whistle...

I have a Clarke Meg, in D. Which in all honesty, is the same thing as a Sweetone. And, I'd put it up to any whistle. My only complaint is that it's just not very loud. But it certainly doesn't sound like a toy, Thats what recorders are for. It plays easily, and beautifully.

I've honestly never owned or ever played ANY Generation D. But I have played them in other keys. So, I'll have to just buy myself that D then won't I?

And if Clarkes aren't instruments.... Then what are they?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I'll bite, one more time
Key of D wrote:Here... I'll buy a Generation D from the Whistle Shop. And I'll buy a Sweetone from there as well. I'll make recordings using both whistles, and see how they sound. My honest bet is, unless I'm just "unlucky" enough to find that rare gem of a Generation, the Sweetone will come out sounding more pleasant.
I would be happy to supply a recording using off the shelf Generations

And as far as "top players using Generations.." Isn't there an interview with Paddy Moloney and Dale, and how Paddy clearly says, "Usually Mary can always get me a good one" a good one meaning that "rare gem" generation... Not some random whistle...
Yes there is, everybody is always looking to find something better but I also said that the significance of that mythical special one is greatly overrated. First of all: players like Moloney and Potts have different needs and look for details many won't even notice. Have no doubt that if you can't make a straight forward off the shelf example sound well, you won't sound any different on the one Moloney plays. There's no magic there.
I gave a number of other examples of whistles played by people I happen to know, whistles I have a first hand experience with (and was scorned in PM for 'namedropping' for it). Yes, top players using Generation whistles.

And if Clarkes aren't instruments.... Then what are they?
Who is to say, the C I have is beyond description, without any redeeming factors at all. The D I bought at the same time I gave away so I can't check. I thought at the time it was in the same league as the C.