Chris Langan Memorial Weekend Field Reports

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

Like this?

Though, these guys aren't weenies, and this was just fun for me - no enterprising involved, 'twould utterly defeat my enjoyment.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Whadda yuz say, Nico? $50 for a framed 8x10 glossy. Throw in another $50 and we'd even get it signed for yiz! :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

This is funny - let me know if it doesn't work.

http://www.chrislangan.ca/html/caoimhin_sound.htm
PR

\\
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol:
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Paul Reid wrote:This is funny - let me know if it doesn't work.

http://www.chrislangan.ca/html/caoimhin_sound.htm
Paul thanks! That was classic! He almost made spit out my supper when Caoihmin said that.. :lol: :lol:
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

djm wrote:Now, if Paul had have been a little more on the ball, he would have captured photos of the stars chatting with, playing with, and/or giving instruction to the various weenies (such as myself), and offered to sell these priceless gems to the affected weenies. There's money in pictures, so they say. :wink: :D

djm
This is a great post Dave.

When you post a few sentences like above, before knowing what people have hidden on their camera/vid cam's. Even years later people are suprised :devil: :lol: You'll see what I mean..... 8)

Daryl Mc.
djm

Post by djm »

Paul, can you put it up in something other than Quicktime? Maybe mpeg?

Daryl, are you saying you have me on camera picking my nose or something equally classy? Au secours! :o

djm
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

PR

\\
djm

Post by djm »

"assets" - oopsy! Thx.

Yes, they were at it all the time (Caoimhín is just a little wired sometimes). :D

djm
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

A superb weekend. Great job organizing committee. I’m a highly satisfied attendee. It needn’t be said again, but man, April sure beats January.

I was struck by the good nature of our instructors. It must be dull for people like Mick O’Brien and Benedict Koehler to attempt to teach to musical strugglers like me, but they did it with patience and humour. All greatly appreciated. Real gentlemen.

My favourite event was the informal “Piper’s Chair” event on Sunday afternoon. Great talent at all levels. Very enjoyable to see a range of pipers, from intermediates to world class pros, all enjoying it and encouraging one another.

Also great fun to put more faces to names from the Internet.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I'm currently playing/transferring the Epic Ennis Journey into a more global format. Besides the annoying photographer who is madly using the limited amount of light to capture a "still" image, the recording is quite acceptable. More to the point, this is fecking great music! Somehow I'm going to make this available to whoever wants it. The piece is only in about 9 minutes and not even halfway there. Mick has just started the whistle part.

Maybe because of the annoying camera clicks, I might have to set this music to a visual show. Not much I can do about coughs and sneezes :lol:
PR

\\
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

djm wrote:Whadda yuz say, Nico? $50 for a framed 8x10 glossy.
Naw, I'm sure Paul will email it to me at some point...

Note: that set of pipes in my lap, in that photo, isn't Mick's set. Rather it's George's Taylor set. That's right. It's a Taylor set. No reeds or bag, but I wouldn't be surprised to find myself playing it next year. The photo of me with Mick's set was taken shortly after. :D

Report, eh, Steph? Well, now, where to start?

I suppose I'd better go chronologically.

Thursday was a glorious day of hiking at Mono Cliffs Provincial Park, with Caoimhin, organized by Wolf. Caoimhin had so much energy he was practically bouncing off the walls. After the hike. That night was the meet and greet. Five U-turns getting there. Yeah, I know, 'U-turns'? Well, I'm a country boy... that's a big deal for me... The meet and greet was a blast. Great music and talk.

Friday night was fun. We were treated to locals and not-so-locals playing for us. And the witty and informative MC-ing of Virgil. Learning how to salsa dance was quite fun! Meeting up with the fantastic fiddler Steph again was also a treat! Similarly for all the other people I met again or for the first time: Paul, Greg, Daryl, Dale, Wolf, John, Alec, George, the "elf", Ian, Brad, Azalin, and I know I'm forgetting a few... too many names! There were some great sessions happening around the TRANZAC. It was quite hard to drag myself off to bed.

5 hours later, I was at the JCC, waiting to bask in Mick's knowledge. And bask I did! I then headed to Caoimhin's 'learn a tune' class, where he taught a room full of fiddlers and two guys on whistles how to play Mullin's Fancy (at my request... I felt so important ;) ).

Interesting side note about hardangers: the fiddle Caoimhin brought along is tuned quite strange. I may be wrong, but from what I gathered it isn't just tuned like a regular irish fiddle, but down to B, or like a traditional Norwegian hardanger is tuned. At any rate, I heard that he spent his first class using who ever's fiddle he was closest to, to teach with. That changed for his second and last classes, when he was using my friend's hardanger! (That is, the hardanger my friend made, and plays, sometimes, with me on pipes... we thought of it independently!) Caoimhin apparently got his from Norway, although second-hand, even though it's only about five years old.

From there, it was a short session (where I played one of Chris' tunes with Karen Light, ironically it was "A Cold Winter's Day") before we were off to the concert. I don't mind rambling on about the rest, but I still have no words for the concert. It was fabulously amazing. And that doesn't even begin to do it justice. I guess the only thing I can say is that I didn't touch my pipes until the next day, and other than the piping recital thing, I still don't want to... too much to absorb. It was inspiring though, too, so I'll give it a bit of time, and I'll be raring to play again!

Sunday came, although for some, without the customary break for sleep. Paul introduced me to George, a smallpiper, mhor-piper, and now uilleann piper, who just happens to own a Taylor set of pipes. I don't know the exact details, but "being thrown out" and "cheap" are involved in the story. We explored our common repetoire, and discovered that we both knew "The March of The King of Laois", "Blarney Pilgrim" and "The Drops of Brandy" well enough to play together for the recital. George treated us to a set of Border tunes, then called me up. We played our set, and he left, and I called up Alec, who I had only met on Friday. We played a set of reels and I left him up there. And a fine job he did, too. (I know I saw some surreptious recording, so if anyone has a clip of the smallpipe/uilleann pipe set, I'd be willing to work a trade...)

Well, that was about it for me... I revelled in the playing of Debbie and Benedict, and Mick and Caoimhin, and said some goodbyes. Had my picture taken by the famous Paul Reid with the Taylor set and with a flat set. (Oh wait, you ask... what's this about Mick's pipes??) Oh, well, it's nothing much, but I got to try Mick's pipes. They are quite hard to play, surprisingly so, but I managed to get a few Tommy Reck tunes out, and I think Mick even recognized them... although he was laughing at my inability to squeeze the bag hard enough.

Good times, good music, good friends.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Why so angry Mick when there is so much love :P
Paul Reid wrote:Image
Wish I was there, looks like a brilliant weekend! How could you go wrong with that line-up!>!>!>!?!?!

Patrick.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Paul Reid wrote:Like this?

Though, these guys aren't weenies, and this was just fun for me - no enterprising involved, 'twould utterly defeat my enjoyment.
Who's the dude with the Taylor set?

PD.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

That's Nick (NicoMoreno) holding the pipes. They belong to George Balderose of Pittsburgh, PA, to the pipers' right.

I was opportune to take many close up and detail shots of the set -- quite a beauty! Mick was able to find a working reed in George's collection and had a go with it. The keys on the chanter made it possible to go to high F!
PR

\\