Boxwood infor from the pipers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Boxwood infor from the pipers

Post by Doc Jones »

Hey there is a really informative thread about boxwood over on the Uilleann pipe forum. It has some really great information I hadn't heard before.

Here's the link:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=39480

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Lots of misinformation (mixed in with some accurate info) in that thread, all well intentioned, of course, but as usual it's a mix of experience and inexperience talking.

Loren
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Loren's signature wrote:The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience
Talking from my own experience I would say they are Patience and Enthusiasm. Time is the battlefield. One cannot experience the whole of the latter. Therefore all conversations are marked by both experience and the lack of it.

:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

I'd be interested to hear what's ill-informed over there (just out of my own general curiosity - it was an informative thread!). I found it especially interesting Rod Cameron's technique for 'relaxing' boxwood for his flutes. Man, I should subscribe to the flute-makers list on Yahoo - I miss Rod's evocative musings on flutes and the world at large!

Loren, other than starting with the obvious: quality timbers from the get-go, what sorts of things are done at VH to stabilize box?

Cheers,
- Ryan
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Spittle,

I've got a ton of stuff I'm trying to get done today, and I may have very limited internet access over the weekend, but I'll try to get back to this as soon as I can. Obviously the answers to your questions are not "short".

Loren
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

100% accurate or not, the descriptions I've read of boxwood have convinced me that it's not what I will choose for a flute, unless a boxwood beauty literally falls into my lap. With the variance of humidity in my area from winter to summer, and the fact that I heat my home with wood, I'm very happy to go with blackwood.

In this case, a little information goes a long way.

Jennie
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I really think the dangers of boxwood are greatly exaggerated. A lot of us have the huge variations in indoor humidity -- here it can be very cold and ~20 percent or so one night and rain the next day and go up to 80%. There is a very simple solution: tupperware and a cigar humidifier. A hygrometer is a good idea, too. Total investment: about $15 if you go for one of the cheapie hygrometers, $30 if you go digital. The effort is modest, but definitely more than some are up for.

I've become a little lax about it in the last year or two. Of all my boxwood flutes, seven right now, one had a tenon that went out of round last year (not sure why), and one has a ring that gets loose sometimes.

Of course, if you're happy with the sound and feel of blackwood, you probably don't want a boxwood flute anyway. Of course, I'm just the opposite.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Boxwood can crack...
The Upper tenon was replaced maybe during the civil war. so now it has a new tenon.
But after 200 years it still sounds great!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Jon C. wrote: Boxwood can crack...
Can you name a decent flute wood that can't? :lol:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nonsense Jon, Charlie says Boxwood is relatively trouble free, you must be dreaming.

Loren
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

chas wrote:
Jon C. wrote: Boxwood can crack...
Can you name a decent flute wood that can't? :lol:
Well there is cracking, and there is CRACKING! :lol:
I use this stuff called delrin... :D
I once had a boxwood antique flute head joint crack like a shotgun going off, or a yardstick smashed on a desk. (I hope I don't give you nightmares!)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've heard mention of certain "relaxation techniques" for warped boxwood, but I don't recall hearing specifics .... anyone here got any ideas what they could be?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That would be a good thing to know. Anyone?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jon C. wrote:Image
Boxwood can crack...
The Upper tenon was replaced maybe during the civil war. so now it has a new tenon.
But after 200 years it still sounds great!
Aha, now I know where Sam Murray gets his wee keys. What's up with the foot on that pretty thing, Jon?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Adjustable foot, just in case it's not flat enough.

Boxwood, grenadilla, any wood that can, when properly worked, make it through a hundred years or so with only a coupla cracks sounds like good stuff. Standing up to life as a flute (or worse, not being played) has got to be torture on wood. I would liken the moisture cycle and stresses from tenons to what hardwoods go though on a boat, and nobody expects an 1850 wooden boat to have much of its original wood left in functional (let alone beautiful) condition.

Just trying to give the makers and the woods their due. Then again, Hawkes would have been nuts not to use Delrin were it available at the time. :)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.