Star trek "oirish" episode.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Star trek "oirish" episode.

Post by flanum »

I saw this for the first time the other night (i never really was a fan) and :o OMG! Oh, my goodness! What in the world?! Is this not the biggest pile of racist crap ever??

Episode 044 Up the ladder!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630320 ... e&n=404272
Answering a distress call consisting of an Earth code that hasn't been used in centuries, the Enterprise stumbles upon a utopian colony that launched from Earth during the European hegemony (sometime between 2123 and 2190). The utopians are a tribe of bawdy Irish hedonists (many of whom are drunks, of course) who have turned their backs on technology in favor of simple farm living. They are so committed to their animals that they refuse to travel without 'em. Oh, how primitive! Oh, the comedy! The Irish tribe mentions "the other colony," which the Enterprise tracks down. This other colony is technologically advanced, but its members have depleted both their sex drive and their genes through generations of cloning. In order to save both colonies, Captain Picard and the crew must play matchmaker between the intellectual ascetics and the hedonistic technophobes. Along the way, Riker gets a little action with one of the farm girls.
(above quote from Amazon reviewer)
:o
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Oh yeah...that one was pretty bad. They even had a Maureen O'Hara clone, if I recall correctly. All it lacked was a leprechaun or two.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Just realised im accusing them of being stereotypical and then realised i just posted a "irishman" joke :oops: :oops:
(but im allowed! :twisted: ).
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I recall that one. Where are the intergalactic Tuatha Dé Danann when you need them? :really:

I also remember a Sci-fi novel wherein on some remote planet were an isolated race that had degenerated into benightedness and a troll-like physicality. They were descended in the main from Irish settlers. I read the book with a raised eyebrow. Took a while for it to settle back to normal.

What I find really offensive about this sort of thing is not so much the stereotype in itself but more in the ignoring of the reality of the historic conditions that forced Irish society into a debased condition which produced the stereotype, and then making mock of it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:What I find really offensive about this sort of thing is not so much the stereotype in itself but more in the ignoring of the reality of the historic conditions that forced Irish society into a debased condition which produced the stereotype, and then making mock of it.
Clearly you are one of those Americans who fail to appreciate the English sense of humour. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Come on folks,

don't you take this a little to serious? With a little tongue in cheek :wink: I quite enjoyed this episode - and yeah, there's a concertina in it, so it must be good :thumbsup: , right?

Claus (no, not a member of the starfleet, I never was into a military career :P)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:What I find really offensive about this sort of thing is not so much the stereotype in itself but more in the ignoring of the reality of the historic conditions that forced Irish society into a debased condition which produced the stereotype, and then making mock of it.
Clearly you are one of those Americans who fail to appreciate the English sense of humour. :D

djm
Mea most totally maxima culpa.

Wait, not altogether true. I stated elsewhere that I'm a big fan of "Two Fat Ladies". They always had me in stitches. They were sublime in a down-to-earth sort of way.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Here's my question.

Considering how easy it was to switch a phazer from "stun" to "kill," don't you think there had to be some times when they accidentally vaporized somebody they meant to just knock down for a minute? Then, you're like all....oh, crap.
djm

Post by djm »

Dale wrote:Then, you're like all....oh, crap.
More like, "Darn. I had the silly thing in reverse."

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

djm wrote:
Dale wrote:Then, you're like all....oh, crap.
More like, "Darn. I had the silly thing in reverse."
No, I would be like...oh, crap. And then I would have to make something up about how that guy was on the verge of being assimilated into the Borg.
And then, the next time you checked your locker, you'd be like...what the stink is this? And Riker would be like, Dude. That's a taser. You lost your phaser.
And you'd be like, What? Do I look like Michelle Rodriguez? And Riker would be like, Yeah, and it's in the Hatch with you. So you'd skewer him with a wooden stake. And TJ Hooker would trot in waving his badge, and you'd be like, So who are you? Kirk or Hooker? And he'd be like, Neither man! And pull off his rubber mask to reveal...Tom Cruise. (Who'd be all like...And don't even think about popping any antipsychotics!)

Speaking of ethnic stereotyping...how would you like it if you were an alien chick and just because of Star Trek everyone always assumed William Shatner was your type?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

emmline wrote: Speaking of ethnic stereotyping...how would you like it if you were an alien chick and just because of Star Trek everyone always assumed William Shatner was your type?

What!?!? What do you mean he isn't? Isn't he? Great, just great! And there goes my perfect memory of my perfect childhood, right down the boob tube.....
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Dale wrote:Here's my question.

Considering how easy it was to switch a phazer from "stun" to "kill," don't you think there had to be some times when they accidentally vaporized somebody they meant to just knock down for a minute? Then, you're like all....oh, crap.
In the context of Flans post..
An Irish "stun" to "kill" is a tragic accident, a heartbreaking mistake in the heat of the moment.

A British "stun" to "kill" is a barbaric act of brutality, a cold blooded murder.

Ye gotta learn the Lingo :lol:

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
hyldemoer

Re: Star trek "oirish" episode.

Post by hyldemoer »

Answering a distress call consisting of an Earth code that hasn't been used in centuries, the Enterprise stumbles upon a utopian colony that launched from Earth during the European hegemony (sometime between 2123 and 2190). The utopians are a tribe of bawdy Irish hedonists (many of whom are drunks, of course) who have turned their backs on technology in favor of simple farm living. They are so committed to their animals that they refuse to travel without 'em.
Wait just a darn minute.
THAT WAS A STAR TREK EPISODE?!?

Isn't it funny how one's memory can get fuzzy with age.

I always thought those guys in my head's memory were a bunch of Celticish NeoPagans or Society for Creative Anachronism people I got messed up after having too much to drink/smoke at a Science Fiction convention.

Whew!
Maybe other parts of my younger years weren't as wild as I remember them to be.
hyldemoer

Re: Star trek "oirish" episode.

Post by hyldemoer »

hyldemoer wrote:I always thought those guys in my head's memory were a bunch of Celticish NeoPagans or Society for Creative Anachronism people I got messed up after having too much to drink/smoke at a Science Fiction convention.
Wait!
Did Isaac Bonewits have a bit part in that episode?

I am soooooo very confused.
CRC

Post by CRC »

Whoa :o I've never really watched Star Trek. Reading that review really ruined any chances of me checking it out in the future. Sounds like a very strange show. :boggle: