Sir Thomas' Not-Terribly-Brief Fairwell to Chiff and Fipple

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

For the record: No one has offended me, insulted me, repressed me with the violence inherent in the system, or otherwise driven me off. And no, my whistle making lesson with Mack Hoover didn't convince me that you are all unworthy of my presence. :lol:

No, my reason for checking out is much more mundane than all that. Quite simply, it doesn't make sense for me to be on-line a whole lot anymore.

To elaborate (on the unfounded assumption that you care): I'm moving out of my apartment next week. It looks like I'll be living in a trailor on my property until my house is done.

I'm going to be switching to cell phone, since it's much cheaper outside city limits. This, combined with the fact that my time would be much better spent planting trees, nuking invasive weeds, and giving private guitar lessons to pay for this place, has convinced me, after careful consideration, that I'll be better off without internet access at home. At least for now.

Of course, I'll still have it at school. But the students will be showing up next week, I'm going to be joyfully, frantically busy, and I have a VERY hard time logging on to the message board for "just a minute or two."

So, to summarize: Goodbye.

Mind if I make a few observations before I go?

In the few years I've been a member of this community, I've seen a lot of people come and go for various reasons. I've made a lot of friendly aquaintences, a few true friends, and no enemies that I know of. Even those whom I've opposed at times have given me much to think about, and I thank you all.

You've given me a tremendous amount of knowledge and insight about the whistle and other subjects, and I'm sure all the laughing I've done as a result of your posts has extended my life at least a couple of days.

I've been amazed at how easy it is to spend more time on here discussing whistles than I spend PLAYING the darn things! (I think that's why the good players aren't here a lot--it's simple natural selection! :smile: )

I've made a lot of really dumb, pointless comments, most of which struck me as outrageously funny at the time. Thank you all for merely ignoring me rather than pelting me with rocks and garbage as I deserved.

I'd like to think I've helped a few people out along the way, too. Thanks for the opportunity to share the few things I really do know.

The few of you I've met have given me my first real-life exposure to true Irish music. What fun--recordings (even of professional sessions :smile: ) can't compare with the real thing!

I've taken part in a few truly beautiful things (remember the around-the-world Amazing Grace last september?), and I've been amazed at how cruelly some people can verbally beat each other up over a perforated metal pipe.

I've been led on a merry (in retrospect)wild goose chase my some twit named "Porridge." If you're still out there: God will get you for that. :lol:

I've seen Loren and Brian make nice. All this the same year Russia joins NATO, and I find a good woman. Man, ANYTHING is possible. Now if Loren and Bloomfield start agreeing, watch your back or those four funny-looking guys on horses might just run you over. (by the way, Loren, I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale next summer. Wanna jam?)

Rocky Mountain Boys (including Lee, who is most certainly a RMB at heart, and the several non-boys among us): What can I say? This isn't over. Cyber life draws to a close, but real life goes on. You are all part of my "real" world now, so don't think you're getting rid of me this easily!

Dale, thank you for what you've started here. It is monumental that through all the storm and stress we can still be united in our love of music and, by extension, of life. What you have here is a part of what life is supposed to be.

I know it's considered bad form to give one's real whereabouts on-line, but there are enough of you I want to keep in touch with that I'll take the chance. Before I do, let me point out that I'm poor, obscure, straight, boring, politically uninvolved, and I own an ENORMOUS dog. :smile:

Tom Wilson
11 Pinto Lane
Lander, WY 82520

I'll still be able to get e-mail here at school, WyoBadger@yahoo.com. I'll e-mail my phone number to anyone who wants it as soon as I get one.

It's time to go. I'd like to leave you with some amazing thought, some grand, profound final insight,but nothing's coming to me at the moment. Just goodbye. Keep in touch. Floss.

With deep appreciation,
Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wyobadger on 2002-08-23 16:07 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tom, we'll miss you!! Keep me posted about your housewarming party!

--Beth the Rocky Mountain Gal
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

Great to meet you at Ron's get together. Take care up there. I've laughed quite a bit a your posts over the past two years.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

See ya Badge. You'll be back. We're infectious!!!! I don't know if that's a good thing but........
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Best of luck. There can never be enough grace in the world and your parting is gracious to say the least. Regards, Phil Osattin
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Take Care, Badge! Hope you'll be back soon.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Best of luck Tom!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

D*ng, no parting flame? I was looking for some excitement. Oh well. Best wishes, and a return to internet access down the road.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Good luck with everything, Tom! It was wonderful meeting you here in SLC and getting to know you a little. You'll never be forgotten. Have a great year!

Kiirsi
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Take care, Tom. Good luck.

A parting glass!
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Good luck and best wishes!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I hope all goes well for you. I suspect the school computers hold more possibility for your continued involvement in C&F discussions than you presently suppose. Or, at least you might post occasionally.

Fare thee well.
Reasonable person
Walden
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Auf Vieder sehn Tom,

In Wordpad saved as "Badger's bye"
I have your farwell note on file;
If not before, we'll meet on high.
I'll think about your wit and style
And miss you here as will the rest,
And wish you all the very best!

Mack
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Goodbye Tom! We'll miss you!

Good luck in any of your new endeavors.

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the rain be soft and gentle upon your face,
And may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Goodbye.