OT: Shakuhachi Maker?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

OT: Shakuhachi Maker?

Post by Harry »

Dear All,

This weekend I heard reference to a highly respected shakuhachi maker based in California, USA. Anybody know who this might be?

Or other tried and respected makers of same?

Regards,

Harry.
rh

Post by rh »

bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Re: OT: Shakuhachi Maker?

Post by bildio »

Harry wrote: Or other tried and respected makers of same?
Harry.
In California, it's likely Monty Levenson. On the east coast, Perry Yung makes nice Shakuhachi.

http://www.yungflutes.com

Bill
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Perry Yung in NYC recently refurbished an old Japanese shakuhachi for me, and I am very pleased with his craftsmanship and customer service. Perry is also a talented performer on the shakuhachi. When I get back to my home computer, I will give a link to a sound file of Perry playing my repaired shak.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Perry Yung in NYC recently refurbished an old Japanese shakuhachi for me, and I am very pleased with his craftsmanship and customer service. Perry is also a talented performer on the shakuhachi. When I get back to my home computer, I will give a link to a sound file of Perry playing my repaired shak.
Here's the link to Perry's MP3 of Doug's Shak:

http://www.yungflutes.com/samples/robert17.mp3

And, Perry's website (again): www.yungflutes.com

He's a very talented maker, and a very nice person to deal with.

Oh, and one other link for any who might be interested, to the Shakuhachi Forum, which is set up much like this one. Nice people, all around, very informative, and some makers like Perry contribute there also. Here's the link:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/index.php
~~~~
Barry
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

got my shaku from www.japanshakuhachi.com. good stuff (and service), check it out.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I find the Shakuhashi a fascinating and beautiful instrument, but I can see it's a dangerous path. For one they're even more challenging to play than a transverse flute.

But this one cost $6000 :o

and it's KEYLESS!!
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumbuk »

I have a very nice 2.55 from Perry Yung that my teacher thinks is worth twice what I paid for it. I also have one of Monty Levenson's 1.8 student models, which is quite adeqaute to learn on.

But be aware - it takes time and patince to learn - "Kubifuri san nen" = "Three years just for the basics." It is a very satusfying experience all the same.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks to you all for the info and links.

Regards,

H.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Harry, on some other Internet forum (sorry, I can't recall which one) I recently read a comment by some respected Irish trad musician (again I can't remember exactly who - I should probably start paying more attention, huh?) that the next hotbed (locus, center, whatever - again my powers of recall fail me) of Irish traditional music will be Japan. (If it isn't already.) Given that, and with your current search for shakuhachi, are you seeking to make Ireland the next hotbed (locus, center, whatever) of Japanese traditional music? Or are you just trying to engage the Japanese in some ITM on their own terms? In other words, what will you be playing on the shakuhachi once you get one?

Just curious...
Harry

Post by Harry »

John,

I don't think I'm conciously planning a cultural revolution. :)

I'm jusy very interested in the sound and history of this instrument and its music.

I'll probably be playing this on it (if I can find a way of learning it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honkyoku

Check out these guys: "komuso ("Priests of Emptiness and Nothingness"). The komuso wore large baskets (tengai) over their heads to symbolize their detachment from the world":

Reminiscent of Irish wren boys who hid their identity with similar masks and played flutes (amongst other things) :

Regards,

HB.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, interesting: Was there also a history (with the Irish boys) of some being spys, as with the Komuso in later years?

Loren
Harry

Post by Harry »

Loren,

The wren boy tradition could well stem from some more 'serious' ritual funtion in the past, I'm not sure. But the latter day accounts of wren boy activity describe fairly light hearted 'folk' antics.

I'm sure there was spying and all sorts of mischief involved; nothing that you'd run a chap through with a bendy sword for though.

Regards,

Harry.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Harry, thanks for the info. Seeing as how one of the adjectives I'd be least likely to apply toward your brilliant playing of ITM would be "zen", I'll be most interested to hear your interpretation of Honkyoku once you decide to record or take it on tour. Keep us posted!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Harry wrote:Loren,

The wren boy tradition could well stem from some more 'serious' ritual funtion in the past, I'm not sure. But the latter day accounts of wren boy activity describe fairly light hearted 'folk' antics.

I'm sure there was spying and all sorts of mischief involved; nothing that you'd run a chap through with a bendy sword for though.

Regards,

Harry.
:lol: Good to know!

I'm somewhat familiar with the history of the Komuso Monks, but am completely ignorant of the wren boy tradition, so something to googled now on my part.

Loren