One-Octatve Tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CDon »

In a previous thread concerning Hearing Loss,
On 2002-08-14 15:59, Kar wrote:
Anyway, I practice my D whistle at bus stops (with the earplugs already in anyway), and it's MUCH nicer for my ears than at home. In fact, I don't even play my D or even C whistles much anymore because they are too high; the Bb or the A is easier on the ears. And I play mostly one-octave folk & traditional music. How people stand those jigs & reels in the upper octaves is amazing to me.
I basically agree... For a while now I have been considering putting together a collection of tunes having essentially a one-octave range, probably using ABC format. These tunes would in general be useful for beginners, but would also, and perhaps more importantly, play a significant role in noise abatement :smile: I think that there a lot of nice ones out there. I also think that I am going to start now...

Kar, I would be interested in the tunes that you play, and I would invite anyone else to submit a list of favorite tunes (of any type) that have a single-octave range (or _slightly_ more). Titles will be fine, ABC would be better, and ABC files could be sent as attachments to the e-mail address in my profile. The tunes need not necessarily be whistle friendly, nor in the key of D. I can take care of any necessary or desirable transposition.

I will, of course, make the collection available when completed. Any paricipation would be welcome and most appreciated.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Check out Ocarina websites & books, they feature one octave tunes!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I would be interested in that as well - if I ever get an electronic practice chanter it would be useful. They don't do second octave.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Tunes for the GH Bagpipes are one octave. There are lots of great books of bagpipe tunes out there. My favorite air on the low whistle is a bagpipe air I am learning on the pipes, as well.

Susato puts out a book of one-octave tunes for recorder, tabor pipe, and ocarina. The tunes are mostly in C, so you'd have to transpose, but Tune Book 2 (as it is called) has 104 tunes that don't go into the second octave and might be a good starting point. I've been thinking of rewriting some into bagpipe music for the fun of it.

-Patrick
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Look into the Packie Byrnes book/cd set Steve Jones & co did. The website describes many of the tunes as being from an oral tradition, which precludes overly high notes, so that the tunes don't go very high over the low octave. There are sound clips on the site.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Its funny how things wind around, as poster seems perfect for GHBs or other Scottish pipe varieties (actually wanting limited range).

I came into "celtic" music because I love scottish music so much, especially GHB and pipe bands. I thot about learning them but between breath requirements and the limited range, i didnt do it.

Took me a while to learn to like Union pipes because I kept comparing them to GHB, who I like more for "chiff" I guess and overall emotional impact. I thot that Union pipes sounded too much like oboes and bassoons. But after studying whistle, which i consider an exceptional folk instrument exactly because you get a full two octaves, I considered learning the Union pipes (plus the convenience of being in D along with the rest of the band).

Well, if you want a limited range, GHBs and smaller equivalents and Scottish tunes are for you!!!! And talk about ornaments!!!!!
Kar

Post by Kar »

My one-octave source has been mostly a couple of books I got from Susato Press: Medieval Tunes and Tune Book Two. Check out Susato.com for those and some others.

And I have a giant book of 1000 folk tunes, most of them one octave-ish.

But I don't know how to get this sheet music to you, it's not on-line and I'm not even sure about copyright stuff and all that.

BUT...I think this is a really great idea. I love the simple tunes, and I wish there were more collections out there like this.
CDon

Post by CDon »

On 2002-08-23 14:01, Kar wrote:
And I have a giant book of 1000 folk tunes, most of them one octave-ish.
What is the name of your 1000 folk tunes book, and the publisher or ISBN if available?

Thanks all for the suggestions so far... Keep them comming please.
CDon

Post by CDon »

I think I have enough good leads on sources of one-octave tunes to get a start on this project. I'll be in touch.

One last call... If you have any additional ideas for tune sources, now would be a good time to bring them forth.

Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

If I have any credibility left, :wink: here are a few titles that you probably already have:

Swallowtail Jig
Garrett Barry's
Fraher's jig
Rakes of Mallow
Out on the Ocean
Munster Buttermilk
Little Fair Canavans
the Fairies Hornpipe
the Stack of Wheat
the Wren's Hornpipe
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Also the Hag with the Money and the Walls of Liscarroll.

I just remembered, Hag with the Money has two high octave A's. So that won't be right for your project. Sorry about that. So much for my renewed credibility. :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blackhawk on 2002-08-25 23:34 ]</font>
CDon

Post by CDon »

Indeed you do, and thank you blackhawk :grin:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-25 16:05, CDon wrote:
Indeed you do, and thank you blackhawk :grin:
:grin:
Glad to help, CDon. Did you already have most of those?
CDon

Post by CDon »

Some of these I know I have. But this helps... What I haven't done yet is go through the tunes that I have to see what is single-octave. I'm going to get a start on that tomorrow.