Where can I breath ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dessinchat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where can I breath ?

Post by dessinchat »

I'm learning on my Low whistle 'Tripping Upstairs" with a jig rythm as on :http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1847

Where can I breath ? it's certainly a stupid question but I have really some difficulty with it ... :P particularly when I go in the second octave ....
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Where can I breath ?

Post by anniemcu »

dessinchat wrote:I'm learning on my Low whistle 'Tripping Upstairs" with a jig rythm as on :http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1847

Where can I breath ? it's certainly a stupid question but I have really some difficulty with it ... :P particularly when I go in the second octave ....
First, there is not really any stupid question, except the one you don't ask. :)

I'm learning the same tune, on both low and high D whistles. The first half doesn't really present a problem to me for breathing, I can easily get through it with just a good breath at start and 4 measures in if I feel the need, but the second part really gets me. I am trying to take a quick deep breath every two measures. That seems to be working. Dont worry too much about it if you have to leave a note out to get your breath (as mentioned below) as long as it is not on an important note.

BTW... the link you gave does not go to Tripping Up The Stairs. This one does though http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/111
Last edited by anniemcu on Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

One good place to breathe is in a place like this: for example, C# B C# in the third measure, you can omit the B and take a breath. There are a few places like that in the tune.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Any where but on an accented beat.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

FJohnSharp wrote:One good place to breathe is in a place like this: for example, C# B C# in the third measure, you can omit the B and take a breath. There are a few places like that in the tune.
In fact, I'd go a step further and feel free to drop the middle note of any of the groups of three notes (in a beat) in first six bars of the second part. They're all pretty good places to take a breath.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
dessinchat

Re: Where can I breath ?

Post by dessinchat »

anniemcu wrote:
First, there is not really any stupid question, except the one you don't ask. :)

I'm learning the same tune, on both low and high D whistles. The first half doesn't really present a problem to me for breathing, I can easily get through it with just a good breath at start and 4 measures in if I feel the need, but the second part really gets me. I am trying to take a quick deep breath every two measures. That seems to be working. Dont worry too much about it if you have to leave a note out to get your breath (as mentioned below) as long as it is not on an important note.

BTW... the link you gave does not go to Tripping Up The Stairs. This one does though http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/111
Yes ! the link is exactly the same what I' playing ... I didn't find exactly the same ... not very used to search tune in the Session.org ...
It's relieving to see that I'm not alone to have this difficulty ...
Nicole
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

FJohnSharp wrote:One good place to breathe is in a place like this: for example, C# B C# in the third measure, you can omit the B and take a breath. There are a few places like that in the tune.
yes ! I feel it ! I will give a try asap ... :) thanks !
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

colomon wrote:
In fact, I'd go a step further and feel free to drop the middle note of any of the groups of three notes (in a beat) in first six bars of the second part. They're all pretty good places to take a breath.
Sorry ... I'm not sure to understanf the word "beat" ... :oops: ( my english is sometimes :x ...) does it represent the notes which are accentuated ( the first one of a group of three ) or a group of notes ?
I believe that the notes which can be missed are rather the second note of the three as others said ? :-?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dessinchat wrote:Sorry ... I'm not sure to understanf the word "beat" ... :oops: ( my english is sometimes :x ...) does it represent the notes which are accentuated ( the first one of a group of three ) or a group of notes ?
I believe that the notes which can be missed are rather the second note of the three as others said ? :-?
A beat is what there are four of to a measure in 4/4.
Reasonable person
Walden
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Well, he's playing a jig.

dessinchat: It's in 6/8, but it's counted in 2. So a beat in this case means the equivalent of 3 eighth notes.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

Thanks !! that's more clear !! :) I didn't try yet because sunday is the family day, it's just hard to find a time to be quiet ...
:sniffle:
Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke »

Have a read of Bros. Steve at http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... eathe.html.

Maybe this will help as it has me.