Is commuting a good use of your time??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How long, each way, is your daily commute?

0-15 minutes
32%
15-30 minutes
24%
30-45 minutes
18%
45-60 minutes
12%
60-90 minutes
12%
more than 90 minutes
3%

Total votes: 34

Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

TelegramSam wrote:There's a reason I chose to live on campus all 4 years here at the university.

I'll pass on the traffic and gas bills thanks. :boggle:
This is my plan, and it's working brilliantly so far.

My mother used to drive from Columbia to her job in Barnwell (a good 2.5 hours) every day. She still tells stories about "highway hypnosis," where she'd start driving in one direction and "wake up" at her destination. That scares me a whole lot.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
sweet potato
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

These days I commute by kayak across the fjord, about 3 kilometers (or a mile, more or less) each way. It's great when the water is calm, a lovely way to begin and end each work day. I started this gig in January, though, when it was not only much colder but dark both in the morning and afternoon. Now with all this light it seems downright luxurious!

Laura
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Ten years before retirement my employer, the USA Fed. government, gave me the option of relocating to 26 miles away (a 60 minute drive) and working nights or relocating 4 hours away and loosing all my bidding seniority (which also meant working nights.)

One snowy winter morning I stopped counting the cars skid off the expressway into the ditch when it hit seven. That's when I moved to a neighborhood where I could take public transportation to work (30 minute walk & 40 minute train ride).

When I finally got an opportunity to retire (and become self employed working out of my house) I jumped at it. Homeland Security made me work an extra 6 months because they said I was needed.
Yeah right!

My husband's company has been resold 3 times in the past 3 years. He currently commutes 60 to 120 minutes each way. He saids he doesn't mind it though. He drives a Prius.

If the expressway turns into a parking lot he exits and lets the sweet little French lady (GPS navigation system) in his dashboard tell him how to get home using sidestreets.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

sweet potato wrote:These days I commute by kayak across the fjord, about 3 kilometers (or a mile, more or less) each way. It's great when the water is calm, a lovely way to begin and end each work day. I started this gig in January, though, when it was not only much colder but dark both in the morning and afternoon. Now with all this light it seems downright luxurious!

Laura
Cool! :)
/Bloomfield
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Bloomfield wrote:
sweet potato wrote:These days I commute by kayak across the fjord, about 3 kilometers (or a mile, more or less) each way. It's great when the water is calm, a lovely way to begin and end each work day. I started this gig in January, though, when it was not only much colder but dark both in the morning and afternoon. Now with all this light it seems downright luxurious!

Laura
Cool! :)
Very cool! :party:

I'm envious. My kayak hasn't gotten wet in over a year. :(
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

15-17 minutes, door to door (10 miles) if I leave the house just before 7:00. If I wait until 7:05 the drive is 5-15 minutes longer. This is 90% freeway. It seems that what passes for rush hour in Cleveland begins at 7:01 am. The return home at 4:00 pm goes just as smoothly.
djm

Post by djm »

jsluder wrote:My kayak hasn't gotten wet in over a year.
Well ... er .... no, I won't touch it. I won't. I won't. I won't

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Well ... er .... no, I won't touch it. I won't. I won't. I won't

djm
Oh, dear! Not again this weekend! Still housebound, I see!

What are we going to do with you, deej?
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

burnsbyrne wrote: It seems that what passes for rush hour in Cleveland begins at 7:01 am. The return home at 4:00 pm goes just as smoothly.
Rush hour in Chicago happens 24/7
and we have 2 seasons, winter and construction.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:
Well ... er .... no, I won't touch it. I won't. I won't. I won't.
That's true... you won't. The kayak is safely locked in my garage. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Ann

Post by Ann »

I commute 30-45 minutes each way. I dislike cars (understatement) I find driving stressful even if its on a single lane country road with turkeys, deer, river views that make amazing pictures depending on the weather and one surface mine. Then there are the frogs that race across the road whenever the weather turns wet and rainy, I dislike driving over them (another understatement). As soon as I can break out of my marginal existance and can afford to live near the places I need to go on a daily basis, I'll ride my bike, walk, kayak or skate. I find that those modes of transportation give a much more liberated feeling than driving ever did, but that's just my opinion. I really don't understand American infrastructure, and why its not withing zoning laws to mix residential areas with commercial places like grocery stores. It would make cars much less of a necessity
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Excluding walking time and waiting at the bus station it's just over an hour each way. I get an awful lot of reading done.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My drive to work is about 20 minutes.
My drive during work is 5 1/2 hours on average.
I drive way too much(and the gas prices are KILLING me).
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

LIVE IN LA. LA Land- I live about 18 miles from work; I could ride my bike since it is esentially down hill and would take about an hour or so. We have showers at work so the "...." isn't a problem. The ride back is about 90 minutes- Done that been there.

so why put up with it? dunno... must be a lemming mentality

OR, you could live farther out, like 50 miles and get up at 4 to get to work by 5:30 so you can leave by 3:30 and get home by 5 ish.

Bitter...not me....
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I.D.10-t wrote:15-30 minutes. 2 miles I think.

I bike.

Year round.
I presume you're nearer the 15 minute end, or you'd be going so slowly you'd fall off! :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing