What is the correct pronunciation of ...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
In The Woods
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What is the correct pronunciation of ...

Post by In The Woods »

Feadog? Is it similar to its spelling, or is it something entirely different? I'm really curious, because the next whistle I'm planning to get is a Jerry Freeman tweaked Feadog.!

I already have Jerry's tweaked Shaw, and I'm *finally* getting to where I can make the upper register sound without too many screeches! Hooray! I think I will keep getting his tweaked whistles until I have a complete set of them. Will I be the only person on the planet with such a collection? :lol:
With best regards to all,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

FATH-ogue. "A" sorta almost like in "bath" but not as sharp, "th" almost like in "bathe", but sorta "D"-like; long "O" sound at the end. Don't let the accent mark on the "O" fool you: stress is on the first syllable.

You'll probably get more comprehending if not better service at the average music-shop counter if you call it a "FEE-dawg". :wink:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This is a post from about a year ago. The question comes up fairly often and for good reason! walrii emailed the company and got a reply:
walrii wrote:I decided to go straight to the horse's mouth, so I emailed Feadog from thier website and got the following reply:
Dear John,

Thank you for your enquiry. I am delighted you are enjoying playing the Feadóg.
Your enquiry isn't the first I have had with regards to the pronunciation of Feadóg. The best explanation I have is as follows: I was discussing this with a colleague and we have different ways of pronouncing it because I'm from Donegal and he is from Dublin!! The best we can come up with is: Fah-doh-g (Fah, as in "do, re, me, fah, so, etc") Doh (Doh as in Homer Simpson "Doh!" or dough used in a cake) G (G-irl): "Fah-doh-g" and it is the Irish for "whistle". I hope this helps!

If there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me. Remember to keep an eye out for news and product developments on our website, http://www.feadog.ie!

Kind Regards
Paul McCarron
Feadóg "Original Irish Whistle"
Tel: +353 1 456 9533
Fax: +353 1 456 9535
E-mail: whistles@feadog.ie
Paul continues to provide quick service - I got the reply less than 24 hours after sending him my question.

I guess language is the same all over - i.e. it ain't the same. Don't get me started on "pecan."
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What is the correct pronunciation of ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

In The Woods wrote:Will I be the only person on the planet with such a collection?
I have a collection like that.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
jaime!

Re: What is the correct pronunciation of ...

Post by jaime! »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
In The Woods wrote:Will I be the only person on the planet with such a collection?
I have a collection like that.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
har har... :lol: