Is commuting a good use of your time??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How long, each way, is your daily commute?

0-15 minutes
32%
15-30 minutes
24%
30-45 minutes
18%
45-60 minutes
12%
60-90 minutes
12%
more than 90 minutes
3%

Total votes: 34

dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is commuting a good use of your time??

Post by dwinterfield »

Here's the story behind the poll
Americans commute longer, farther than ever By Ellen Wulfhorst
Thu Apr 20, 4:09 PM EDT

Dave Givens drives 370 miles to work and back every day and considers his seven-hour commute the best answer to balancing his work with his personal life.
The winner of a nationwide contest to find the commuter with the longest trek, Givens is one of millions of people who are commuting longer and farther than ever before.
Studies show Americans spend more time than ever commuting and for a growing number, getting to work takes more than an hour. In the most recent U.S. Census Bureau study, 2.8 million people have so-called extreme commutes, topping 90 minutes.
Givens, a 46-year-old electrical engineer, has an extreme commute between home in Mariposa, California, and his job in San Jose. He leaves home before dawn and returns after dark.
His trip landed him first place among almost 3,000 entries in the search for America's longest commute, sponsored by automotive services provider Midas Inc. and announced last week. But as harrowing or tedious as Givens' trip may sound, he says it's the way to keep the home and job he loves. "I have the balance right now," Givens told Reuters. "I could do similar jobs closer, but not with the work reward and job satisfaction I have. And I could live closer, but I wouldn't have the lifestyle that I desire.
"To me, this is not that long a commute," he added. "It's just something I do to go to work."
SUBURB-TO-SUBURB COMMUTING
Longer commutes frequently involve people who live in one suburb and work in another, said Alan Pisarski, author of "Commuting in America." Such a pattern tends to begin with companies moving out of a city to a suburb, enticing workers to move to less-expensive outer suburbs, he told Reuters. "People see this as an opportunity to go farther away," he said. Such a move may provide more affordable housing or better schools. Even high fuel costs -- Givens spends about $185 a week on gasoline -- can pay off in a better quality of life, Pisarski said.
Doreen DeJesus rides a bus from her home in Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania, across New Jersey to her job in Manhattan. The payoff is a house in the country, she said. "It's a matter of getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city," said DeJesus, 37. "It's not an easy thing, but most days it's really worth it. "My boss thinks I'm nuts," she added.
Studies show 7.6 percent of U.S. commuters traveled more than an hour to work in 2004, the most recent data available, up from 6 percent in 1990. The average one-way commute grew by 13 percent to 25.5 minutes between 1990 and 2000. In 1990, only in New York state did more than 10 percent of workers spend more than an hour to get to work, Pisarski said. Now that situation can be found in New Jersey, Maryland, Illinois and California as well, he said.
CONGESTION WORSENS
Added to long commutes is increased congestion, according to the Texas Transportation Institute's 2005 Urban Mobility Report. Commuters typically spent 47 hours a year in traffic jams, up from 40 hours a decade earlier, the study showed. "That's the time wasted above and beyond just being able to make the trip," said David Schrank, co-author of the report.
But the trips can be worthwhile, said Kay Phillips who works in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 164 miles from her home in Granite Falls. "I really love what I do, so I don't mind," she said. While Givens spends much of his commute listening to the radio, especially traffic reports, Philips, 52, uses her five-hour commute in her own way -- she prays. "I say a long prayer starting out every morning for everybody, and it gives you quite a bit of time to do that," she said.

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
For me it's about 90 minutes each way including car, commuter rail, 2 subways and walking.
The trade-offs make it worthwhile. 15 yrs ago I lived 7 miles from work in a densely populated working class community. Car, subways and walking meant it was 55 minutes to work. Now I'm 40 miles away and for 35 extra minutes each way, I get salt marsh in the back yard and a much more limited selection of restaurants. I've also discovered I can fit lots of tunes on an mp3 player and I have a 60 minute train ride to read books if I stay awake. I'd make the trade any day.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Is every item from Reuter's Oddly Enough going to be a thread on the chiffboard now? :x
/Bloomfield
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Bloomfield wrote:Is every item from Reuter's Oddly Enough going to be a thread on the chiffboard now? :x
Perhaps. Actually I read the story in the newspaper but found Reuters had a clean version to drop into a thread. I often get the sense that an affinity for oddities is one of the non-whistle ties that binds C&F together.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Bloomfield wrote:Is every item from Reuter's Oddly Enough going to be a thread on the chiffboard now? :x
Sure, if that's what you want.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I couldn't say, but I'm worried where I'm going to find extra pocket money now I can't pose for Playboy anymore.

My commute is 30-45 minutes each way, and it doesn't make much difference whether I cycle the whole way (about 6 1/2 miles) or use public transport (the Tube). Cycling is far nicer in the summer, as my route takes me along the river (Thames) and a through a park.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I voted... then realized I never have to make that commute again! Nice!

Seriously though, it depended on whether I had a book or not. A good book made the commutes go by incredibly quickly (sometimes too quickly).
missy

Post by missy »

up until October of 2005, I had a 2 mile commute to work. I switched jobs (same company) and now have a 20 mile commute.

I hate it. But, I often have to visit other sites in the city, and my boss has no problem with me working "from home" occasionally, so it's not been TOO bad - I usually manage to do a "short commute" day once a week.

But I really hate driving in rush hour traffic. So much so that I start early and leave early to get around it the best I can (7 - 3:30). And there is NO choice in public transport to get me to here and there.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

This is a painful question for me. For fifteen years I have worked for a company in the same village as the house where I live. My "Commute" is a fifteen minute walk.

Alas, my company has been bought out by another company and the local office is closing. The next nearest Office is in Feltham, which is (conservatively) an hour's drive away. That is, one hour there and one hour back. And it crosses the M4 which is traffic hell during rush hour.
It is remotely possible that our new governors might spring the dosh for another office. Fingers crossed.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

15-30 minutes. 2 miles I think.

I bike.

Year round.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

15-30 min.
I don't mind so bad, in fact sometimes I look forward to it, as I always have an audiobook in the car to listen to.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

My commute is 5.5 miles each way. If I get up early and drive to work by 6 or 6:30 AM, it's a 15 minute drive. If I sleep in a bit and try to get to work at 8 AM, it's a 30 to 45 minute drive if there are no accidents. A fender-bender blocking a lane anywhere on the route can easily bump it to 60 minutes or more to drive that 5.5 miles. (And I don't even live or work in Seattle itself; this commute is in the suburbs.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm

Post by djm »

I roll out of bed and turn on the computer. Just another day at the office ...

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

There's a reason I chose to live on campus all 4 years here at the university.

I'll pass on the traffic and gas bills thanks. :boggle:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ten minute walk to and from work.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The longest I've commuted was a temp thing--1 hour 45 min. Too long.