50 movies made into books.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

djm wrote:Special effects have their own charm, of course, and make many otherwise useless movies a great entertainment (anything Star Wars, as an example).
HERESY.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

djm wrote:I have never found a movie better than the book it is based on.
I’ve read “Johnny Got His Gun” Metallica’s video of “One” was better than that. Does that count?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Um, excuse me, but how could any list of that sort NOT include Gone With the Wind? Both the movie and the book were very good.

Another one that comes to mind is The Wizard of Oz. Though the book and movie are pretty much totally different, they're both good.
Last edited by rebl_rn on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Congratulations

rebl_rn wrote:Um, excuse me, but how could any list of that sort NOT include Gone With the Wind? Both the movie and the book were fab, though pretty different in many ways. Still, I can't believe it's not on the list.
OH WOW. You're totally right. WTH?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

What about books that were made into movies that were so different that they felt they had to make a new book based on the movie, such as Planet of the Apes?
Reasonable person
Walden
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Ahem.

Lord of the Rings!

(leaves before any explosives can harm him)
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I meant books into movies.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Flyingcursor wrote:I meant books into movies.
Phew.

I have a couple of examples of video games made into movies made into books. Resident Evil (twice). They weren't great literature, but good for livening a boring train journey.

Video game made into a movie - Tomb Raider. For all I know they've made a book of the movie plots.

I've read a few books because there was a movie made of them - Black Hawk Down and Jarhead spring to mind, and I never even saw the Jarhead movie.

Also read Band of Brothers and a lot of other Stephen Ambrose titles after watching the Band of Brothers TV series based on the books.

Movie that was pretty much what I hoped for after reading the book - The Green Mile.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
djm

Post by djm »

Video to movie - you missed MORTAL KOMBAT. Four times.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Congratulations

djm wrote:Video to movie - you missed MORTAL KOMBAT. Four times.
WE TRY NOT TO REMEMBER.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

One of the most made and remade movies from a book: Pride and Prejudice. Both book and most of the movies were wonderful.

And Wuthering Heights!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Plays into movies are really hard, because plays are,
well, stagey and movies don't do well so confined.

The Winslow Boy was very good, I thought. David
Mamet directed.

Back to classic novels,
Sense and Sensibility, the movie written and
starring Emma Thomson, and also starring
Kate Winslet. Thomson won an academy award
for best screenplay adapted from a novel.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Blackout_Entertainment wrote:Ahem.

Lord of the Rings!

(leaves before any explosives can harm him)
I love those books. And I thought the movies were really good---I really did enjoy them very much. But they made changes, for understandable reasons from what little I've heard about it, that I could not accept. So I couldn't say that the movies were at the top of my list for a successful adaptation which for me would not change the way things were in the book, especially things I thought were quite important. Just my opinion.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

LOTR is a perfect example. This is a fantasy world where you have to imagine everything in the books for yourself, and for the characters, you not only have to imagine the character, but often the character's species, as well. I love Alan Lee's visions for the artistic design of the movies (his Rivendale should have received an award or something), but I thought many of the characters miscast - naturally! I'm sure we each of us had different ideas than what was settled on in the films, and with such enormously widely-read books, you just get that many more opinions. Stuff like historical drama has a much more clearly defined set of rules of how things look, how people dress and behave, etc. but when you get into fantasy, the author paints just enough of a world to relate the tale. The rest is up to us.

And Cynth, I entirely agree with you on stuff having been cut from the LOTR films. Many agree, but seldom on the same parts. For me, it was cutting Tom Bombadil out completely. Not only is this character absolutely central to Tolkein's enitre philosophy, but they had the perfect Bombadil in Rhys-Davies.

As I noted above for the Potter movies, films like LOTR can serve to flesh out visual ideas when we don't personally have enough data to come up with our own clear images. The LOTR films certainly provide this imagery in spades. I guess the conflict only comes when we strongly disagree at points where our personal vision violently clashes with the films'.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Martin Milner wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I meant books into movies.
Video game made into a movie - Tomb Raider. For all I know they've made a book of the movie plots.
We know you only watch that for Chris Barrie anyways... :D

Movie that was pretty much what I hoped for after reading the book - The Green Mile.
I really enjoyed The Green Mile when it came out, very "powerful" if you'll pardon the pun, even "electrifying." :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown