Wireless Internet

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wireless Internet

Post by OnTheMoor »

Can someone provide a crash course in wireless internet for me?

I need to get a computer here in Canada for use across the pond, so of special interest is whether (insert whatever it is you need for wireless internet here) in Canada functions in Cork or Dublin.

Thanks!

PS I guess I am also interested in knowing what shopping for a PC is like in the major Irish cities, cost and technology-wise, vs. Canada and the US. I would assume there is not much of a difference, but to be sure...
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

In any EU country you'll have to pay VAT (a tax of 17.5%). Definitely buy your computer in North America if you've got the option and ability to get it overseas. The technology is the same as far as I can tell, but the prices in the UK are essentially double those of the US.

Any decent laptop will be compatible with different voltages and all you'll need to function in Ireland is an adaptor to change the shape of the power plug. A desktop computer may or may not be multi-voltage compatible; if it isn't, you'll need a voltage converter which is more expensive than a simple plug adaptor.

As for wireless connections, I'm still learning that here...in the UK broadband comes through the phone line, not through the cable line, and availability depends on who your phone provider is. I'm still trying to get my head round that one and learn about something called ADSL. If you get a laptop with builtin wireless, you can go to access points and use networks that are already set up. If you're talking about setting up a home network, there are a couple experts here on Chiff that know how to deal with that and I'm sure one will pipe up soon.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm NOT the expert, but I will pipe up.
If you have a computer with a wireless card and a high speed (cable, eg,) connection, you just need to connect your cable modem to a router (wireless router, although it's wired to the modem and plugged into the wall electrical outlet,) which will then broadcast the wireless signal.
It's easy, which suggests to me that I may be missing the point of the question since I'm no techie.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I am talking laptop here so transportation is not an issue. I figured the VAT would be the deciding factor.

My main concern is that a wireless card on a NA laptop would not be compatible with a router or signal (or whatever) in an Irish city. The main purpose for the computer is because we'll be spending a good deal of time online for travel and family stuff, so if the internet doesn't work, I'll have wasted a grand. I forget why exactly I had been thinking wireless... just seems to be the big feature on all the advertised computers I'm looking at.
djm

Post by djm »

There are several generations of wi-fi data technology, and different vendors support different levels. I can't speak to what is being used currently in Ireland or the rest of Europe. I know Bell Mobility is using the most advanced in Canada at the moment, but other companies are quickly converting or catching up.

Nothing in the wireless world stays the same very long. It really might be worth your while to search for wi-fi providers in Ireland to see what technology they support, their costs, and the area/range of their services. (For all I know, it may turn out you will be staying in an unserved area). Buy your laptop equipment to match where you're going, and don't be surprised if you have to change it as you move around.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Thanks djm.
BigDavy

Wireless in EU

Post by BigDavy »

Hi OnTheMoor

The wireless system here is 802.11 standard and an adapter will cost you about £20 / 30 euros. If your laptop is wireless G enabled - it will probably work here out of the box.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Get a laptop with a 802.11b/g chipset. You should make sure it supports the "g" chipset, as it is a much faster version than the older "b", and is backward compatible with "b". I used my 802.11g in Ireland and I didnt have any problem.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Azalin wrote:Get a laptop with a 802.11b/g chipset. You should make sure it supports the "g" chipset, as it is a much faster version than the older "b", and is backward compatible with "b". I used my 802.11g in Ireland and I didnt have any problem.
It's true that the "g" is faster, but the only time you'd notice the speed difference is if you're using it on a network to share files with others on the network. Having a "g" card won't actually speed up your connection to the Internet; that feature is no faster in "g" than in the older versions of WiFi.

If you get any recent WiFi card you should be all set to use it anywhere. Be sure you enable the firewall on your computer, and if you're using public WiFi be wary of doing things like online banking and other activities where you wouldn't want someone stealing your password.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I knew you folks could help. Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks guys. :thumbsup:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

bradhurley wrote: It's true that the "g" is faster, but the only time you'd notice the speed difference is if you're using it on a network to share files with others on the network.
Yep, this is what we're all doing, isnt? :-) It just might get very handy if someone around you has a wireless G laptop and wants to transfer, let's say, a bunch of irish music MP3s on your computer. Just an example! :twisted:

Talking abour wireless, back in november I thought I was a genius and started using the free wireless internet in Shannon airport every day. Well, I tried to. The first day all went fine, and then I drove back there the day after and I was locked out. It seems that there is a limit to their "free" internet and won't allow more than one MAC address connection in the same week or something. Nothing beats northern countries for cheap internet access. We have some cafes here that offer free wireless, but it will take 10 years until we see real free access in Ireland.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

There are plenty of Cyber cafes in Dublin and Cork. Very cheap to use, about 3 Euros an hour.
I don't know what the crack is with uploading files as I have only used them for E mail and checking out the Chiffboard.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I just find it funny that, for example, Ennis is supposed to be the "IT capital" of Ireland, of whatever they want to call themselves, but it's almost impossible to get wireless internet there, and until last year it was impossible to get a high-speed DSL connection for under 200euros installation and like 80 euros a month. We pay 40$ per month over here, and there's wireless everywhere.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

They do, however, have free access to wired computers in the libraries, which was very welcome. I wonder if the libraries might be the first to install wireless ability.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Yeah, I'm trying to do the cost analysis. First thought was, we could use libraries cafes etc. Last time we were in that part of the world, we found it cheap and easy enough to access. But those euros add up over the course of a year. I'm thinking that I will be needing the internet alot to keep track of my finances back home, plane tickets, research, photographs and general communications... and C&F of course. So having it at home/apartment will probably end up being more cost effective... and safer. Bah! Pain in the ass.