Are Introverts Smarter?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Are you an introvert or extrovert? (sorry, there's nothing inbetween)

Introvert
93%
Extrovert
7%

Total votes: 43

Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Nano must be an extrovert. :wink:
Actually, no. See Lorenzo's quote above. There's some truth to that. Like buddhu, I'm situational as far as social behavior goes, but I think it's safe to say that I generally fall within an "introvert" category. I just get very worked up when issues of intelligence get thrown into such questions. I'm convinced there is no overall relevance to that angle, and I think it's misguided to attempt such generalisations.
I agree entirely.

As for myself, I voted introvert, but I have no problem talking to new people, or speaking publically, or being the center of attention--I just don't enjoy it. I'd much rather sit in my room and type letters to people I've never met. I've been in college two semesters now, and I've not been to a single party (at a school where partying is veritably required). I've always been the guy that people enjoy being around but that no one sees outside of school. I like it that way.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

The article does suggest that extroverts think they rule the world:
  • "Extroverts seem to rule the world or, at least, the USA, which hasn't elected an introverted president for three decades, since Jimmy Carter."
So, they can't be smarter! :wink:
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Mom tells me that as a small child, when I misbehaved, I got the same punishment as my siblings. "Go to your room!" She quickly discovered that for me, that was more of a reward than a punishment. She adapted and when I misbehaved, I was required to sit in a chair in the middle of the living room and that I hated that. I cannot verify this because I have very few distinct childhood memories.

On the different topic of brain development, one of the most contentious issues in my town is the K-4 World Language Program in the schools. Essentially, that means that K-4 kids get 2 - 30 minute periods a week of Spanish language introduction. The cost is about $125k per year. The school committee and administration strongly support the program because they say that recent brain research shows that introducing a second language to kids between 6 and 12 does all sorts of positive things for brain development that do not appear to occur with other resorts of stimulation. There is a vocal segment of the community (the town is very affluent and almost entirely white) that opposes the program as fiscally irresponsible.

Finally, I'm reminded of the research a few years back suggesting that there may a half dozen types of intelligence - analytic & problem solving intelligence; physical intelligence; musical intelligence; interpersonal intelligence etc. This has always made sense to me. These days I'd like to swap a littel bit of my analytic intelligence for a bit more musical intelligence.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Wow, all introverts as of this writing (20-0). Not surprising because everyone replying is probably alone in a room typing at a computer, or if at place with a lot of computers, not talking to anyone there, just typing online.

There are many levels of intelligence. Here is a list I found from "Creativity: How to Catch Lightning in a Bottle" by George Gamez, Ph.D.

On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your
intrapersonal and interpersonal intelligence,
spatial intelligence,
musical intelligence,
body and kinesthetic intelligence,
linguistic intelligence and
logical-mathematical intelligence.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

BillChin wrote:Wow, all introverts as of this writing (20-0). Not surprising because everyone replying is probably alone in a room typing at a computer, or if at place with a lot of computers, not talking to anyone there, just typing online.
BINGO!

The extroverts are out there hanging out with friends and partying hard with a cell phone glued to their ear.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

AS, so introvert.

But introverts are more inclined to follow the rules and complete the stupid questionnaires and forms, and that's why they appear more "measureably" intelligent.

You might even say the average Extrovert wouldn't even bother voting on this poll. So it's artifically skewed.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Ha! I have you ALL beat! I am an ultravert, bordering on a metavert, and am about to alter my horiz beyond my vert, after which I'll be a diagonvert. :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:
:lol: Actually, no.
Nano's a metrovert. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

There's an excellent book called The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney that is a must read for all Innies and those who want to understand them. I stumbled across this in a bookstore one day and it explains so much about myself!

Shyness and introversion are not the same thing. You can be both, but there are outgoing introverts and shy extroverts. It has to do with how your brain processes information and how you are able to gain energy. It's a fascinating book!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
djm

Post by djm »

rebl_m wrote:a must read for all Innies
Wow! Imagine that! A book that segregates and distinguishes us by our belly-buttons! :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

djm wrote:
rebl_m wrote:a must read for all Innies
Wow! Imagine that! A book that segregates and distinguishes us by our belly-buttons! :boggle:

djm
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Score another one for Team Intro! :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I've been called an introvert, but I'm not convinced.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
:lol: Actually, no.
Nano's a metrovert. :wink:
One way you can know a metrovert is that he'll have more than three books/tapes on sensitivity training.

I can't find mine, so I don't qualify.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

One of the key tests to discern intro or extrovertedness is how you recharge you battery. Even if you enjoy socializing, it's typically introverted to seek time alone to recharge, whereas extros tend to find the socializing itself recharges them.