The Pharmacy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Pharmacy

Post by Dale »

Peter Laban sent me this wonderful picture. Look closely.

dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Put me down for a weekends worth of uppers.

Throw in a bottle of Aspirin as well.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: And what an amazing color! I can just see Dale in his white coat in there directing people. "Madam, stairs to the left, whistle problems." "Sir, you want the door on the right for the pipes."
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Bet Y'all didn't think C&F were in the position to corner the Irish market in fine pharmacy products... start out small, and before they know it, WHAM, we rule the frickin' world.... AAAHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :twisted:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Why is it not called a Chemist? I thought that was the word of choice.
djm

Post by djm »

She went down to the chemistry lab,
Some remedies for to buy.
"Have ye anyt'in' in yer chemistry lab
Ta mek me ol' man blind?"

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

emmline wrote:Why is it not called a Chemist? I thought that was the word of choice.
Pharmacies are called pharmacies in Ireland. There was a funnier shot in it a few weeks ago when Geraldine Cotter came down the street with a couple of shopping bags. Catching her outside the C&F pharmacy would have made my day. I didn't have the camera with me then. Last year I also considered filling a prescription for Efexor there, just for the fun of it. I didn't, I am off it now.

Did that shot this morning after buying cabbageplants in the market. It's a gorgeous day, was just in Doolin stocking one of the trad music shops with copies of 'They'll be good yet'. I got the last copy (a cassette) of John Noonan's 'At the Feis' for free. The other shop was stocking 'Overton' whistles off the shelf, interesting. On the way up I drove down the Luogh road considering an enquiry about whistles made there but eventually didn't. Further up in Doonagore the Russell's house has been sold and on the way back in Ballyfaudeen the Killourhy's place was empty of people. It's not all change for the better.
Last edited by Cayden on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Did you see that thread about prozac on our sister C&F forum?

They even have a forum called Religion and Politics. Imagine!
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I spent a year in working in a "Drug Store", while in school in the mid 60s. Great job. The place had an old fashioned soda fountain so I became a fully trained "soda jerk". The art of the proper ice-cream soda is gone. Some have suggested I still have at least part of the skills suggested by the title. We had Trojans in a drawer in the back. People had to ask because they were not legal in MA at the time - one size, one color fits all. Also liquor stores (package stores in MA) were closed on Sundays, so we'd have lots of prominent citizens coming in for "medicinal" beverages. Some of them actually had prescriptions from their doctors. The part-time Saturday night pharmacist was usually sampling the "medicinal" beverages, so he had me count out and dispense all the prescriptions. Not a good idea. In the days before inventory control, there were many opportunities for samples.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

For a brief time when I was a kid my mom worked at a soda fountain at the drug store down the road. I'd sit at the counter doing homework for an hour or so after school each day. She'd make me a large vanilla malt with about three times the normal amount of malt in it.

I don't think it's still there, the old neighborhood isn't doing so well and I think the drug store has been boarded up for years.

But I still love vanilla malts, even if they're not as good as mom made.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
missy

Post by missy »

I'd kill for someone that knows how to make a real, honest to goodness, chocolate soda!!!! I haven't had one of those in YEARS. Or phosphates. I used to love strawberry phosphates (the amusement park I worked at in high school had a REAL soda fountian at the time.........).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

missy wrote:I used to love strawberry phosphates
Okay, I have found out what phosphates are and how to make them, but what does the phosphoric acid do for it?

djm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
missy wrote:I used to love strawberry phosphates
Okay, I have found out what phosphates are and how to make them, but what does the phosphoric acid do for it?

djm

It's an acidulant. :wink:

It's what enables you to clean your battery terminals with it, should you be of a mind to do that.

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senes ... -pop.shtml

Ms. Science Lamb
djm

Post by djm »

Thank you, Ms. Science Lamb. Great link!

djm
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

There is an old fashioned drug store in Gaithersburg, Md that still has the old lunch counter. They have the old sodas, sundaes, etc. One of my friends can be found there every saturday morning at 8 AM having an omelette.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.