Metal Side Blown Sweat

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Shaun-Patrick Young
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Metal Side Blown Sweat

Post by Shaun-Patrick Young »

Now that I'm making copper side blown flutes (use to make them out of wood and PVC), I've noticed a lot more condensation in and around the embouchure. It builds up quickly, and sometimes interferes with the sound. Have to shake out the head piece a lot until it warms up.

Aside from eating a lot of crackers or holding the embouchure head in my armpit for a few minutes, is there anything else I can do to keep that "sweating" down?
To the Four Airts to Guide us and for the Four Winds to get us there.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You've discovered one of the vexations that plague silver flute players the world over.

You can gently warm the flute before playing, that will help.

Some flutists both warm the flute and "pre-wet" it by gently blowing warm air through the flute for a few minutes before playing.

By the way, this problem isn't unique to metal flutes; all flutes share it to some degree.

--James
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

I remember reading in Wanderer's O'Brien whistle review
that copper whistles "clog like nobody's business". So,
perhaps the material is a big part of the problem. Could
Duponol be used for flute like it is for whistle?
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I've heard a professional player recommend drinking hot tea while warming up or before playing. "It warms it right up!" or words to that effect.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The best ordinary metallic thermal conductors are (in decreasing order) silver, copper, gold, aluminum, beryllium, and tungsten.

In other words, a silver pipe on the hob would be more efficient at conducting heat than a copper one, but copper is better than gold or aluminium.

It's why you often see copper-bottomed cooking pots, and it's why condensation forms so quickly in a silver (or silver-lined) or copper flute.

In the case of an all-copper flute, you're going to have to do a lot of warming up, because the large surface area of the copper pipe will act as a radiator, rapidly conducting the heat of your breath away from the point of contact at the embouchure, leaving condensation behind.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

GaryKelly wrote:The best ordinary metallic thermal conductors are (in decreasing order) silver, copper, gold, aluminum, beryllium, and tungsten.

In other words, a silver pipe on the hob would be more efficient at conducting heat than a copper one, but copper is better than gold or aluminium.

It's why you often see copper-bottomed cooking pots, and it's why condensation forms so quickly in a silver (or silver-lined) or copper flute.

In the case of an all-copper flute, you're going to have to do a lot of warming up, because the large surface area of the copper pipe will act as a radiator, rapidly conducting the heat of your breath away from the point of contact at the embouchure, leaving condensation behind.
Wow Gary, and I was simply going to suggest covering the whole thing with an external wooden sleeve......

Loren
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well yeah, you could do that I suppose. Wood being an insulator and all, it'd allow the metal lining to warm up fairly quickly and dramatically reduce radiation.

But it'll never catch on. Why? Well, for one thing, with metal's high co-efficient of thermal expansion, the wood would eventually split...

:twisted:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

You are the devil.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Of course!!! Why didn't we think of that before...the ideal flute lining metal is INVAR !

:o :o :o
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

GaryKelly wrote:Well yeah, you could do that I suppose. Wood being an insulator and all, it'd allow the metal lining to warm up fairly quickly and dramatically reduce radiation.

But it'll never catch on. Why? Well, for one thing, with metal's high co-efficient of thermal expansion, the wood would eventually split...

:twisted:
Bah, doesn't matter: I suspect people would still buy them, for at least a couple of hundred years. Takes a while for folks to catch on.

Loren
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Of course!!! Why didn't we think of that before...the ideal flute lining metal is INVAR !

:o :o :o
OMG! And if we made the body out of high-temperature reusable surface insulation like wot they use for the Space Shuttle.... :boggle: :boggle:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

...and coat it with teflon so the condensation would never stick (not to
mention that fried egg)!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

..And outsourced production to China or India to keep manufacturing costs down....!!
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Nah...I've got one of those....the cork just slips right out the end...have to add "O" rings...(I think NASA's been there).....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ah pants... And I was just about to come up with a decent name for it too.

Along the lines of the "Bradshaw Thermally Improved, with Fearfoin Perfected Smooth-Flow™ Tuning-Slide"... :cry: