Music Major rollcall

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:"gymnasium" basically means "place where you get naked"
Sweden ... that's where all the naked musicians are, isn't it? - running nude out of steaming ITM sessions and jumping into holes in the ice? :o

djm
"The hiiiills are aliiiiiiiiiiive with the sauna muuuusiiiiiiiiiic..."

Oh, wait. Those be the Finns.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I was a music major. Made it to my junior year then dropped out.

The only thing I regret is not studying orchestration. Staying in college wouldn't have helped that though since the university I went to only offered choral arranging and such. I still fancy myself taking an orchestration class from the local university, though........

MikeyLikesIt is currently music major. One of the highlights, for me, of the whistle gatherings here in the San Fran Bay Area is sight-reading through tunes with him. It's a blast.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I was not a music major, but I pretended to be one. :D

I needed "an easy A" to bump up some unfortunate grades, so I signed up to take beginning piano. Only music majors could have a student job in the music library, but the same friend who convinced me to take piano introduced me to the librarian as "a piano student," which the librarian apparently mistook to mean a real one. (Actually, her big concern was whether I'd be prone to killing the African violets that filled the place--the last student librarian was apparently a klutz.)

Since I could do all my listening homework while I worked (the librarian had a convenient headset with which to plug into the reserved music . . . with about a 16-foot cord, so I never had to take it off), I started signing up for music courses right and left. The librarian also had dibs on the keys to the good piano rooms after hours, so I practiced in one of those. Nobody could hear what I was slaughtering, of course, so they went on for years thinking I was a piano major.
Last edited by Lambchop on Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

BMus from the University of Victoria in performance and secondary education. Now I just sit around being BMused.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Chiffed wrote:BMus from the University of Victoria in performance and secondary education. Now I just sit around being BMused.
*groan*

:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I only have two jokes. That was number two.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

Well, I started the music theory sequence as a senior in college... a bit late for the major. I went on to major in the equally compelling (at the time) fields of chemistry and biology. Then I did a PhD in chemistry and became a college professor in the US. Many years later I became the whistle player in a band. Now I'm on sabbatical in Norway having spent the last semester in Scotland. Life is good, so very good.

Laura
djm

Post by djm »

Sweet Potato wrote:Well, I started the music theory sequence as a senior in college... a bit late for the major. I went on to major in the equally compelling (at the time) fields of chemistry and biology. Then I did a PhD in chemistry and became a college professor in the US. Many years later I became the whistle player in a band. Now I'm on sabbatical in Norway having spent the last semester in Scotland. Life is good, so very good.

Laura
That sounds amazing! Lucky you! :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

Yes, indeed, but I do sometimes wish I had done the music major, too! :)
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Bachelor of Science: Music Education
Masters: Musical Arts

Have taught music theory and composition for more years than many on the board have been alive...

I'm old.

And that's OK.

I have been honored to have students published on the international level before they leave high school...I will retire from public school teaching at the end of this school year. It has been a good ride...

Cheers to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Henke

Post by Henke »

Oh man, I totally forgot about this thread. Did it change title or something?

:lol: Nanohedron. I had no idea about that. I guess I have to look up the origins of the word gymnasium in swedish.
I haven't seen any naked girls in school since I peeked into the ladies dressing room in Gym class. That was in 5th grade or something though.
djm

Post by djm »

Henke wrote:I haven't seen any naked girls in school since I peeked into the ladies dressing room in Gym class.
You are interfering with our preconceptions of Sweden. Aren't all the girls blonde, blue-eyed, five feet, 10 inches tall, mute?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Henke wrote:I haven't seen any naked girls in school since I peeked into the ladies dressing room in Gym class.
You are interfering with our preconceptions of Sweden. Aren't all the girls blonde, blue-eyed, five feet, 10 inches tall, mute?

djm
Please, djm. Henke didn't infer otherwise. As for "mute", you've GOT to stop that steady diet of Bergman films. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

sweet potato wrote:Yes, indeed, but I do sometimes wish I had done the music major, too! :)
As I'm fond of saying, it's easier to do science for a living and music as a hobby than vice-versa.

My wife was a music major (flute) for 3.5 years, then decided she needed a marketable education and became a medical technologist. It's wonderful -- we have a house full of instruments but still engage in tons of geek talk (including, possibly especially music geek talk).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sweet potato

Post by sweet potato »

[quote="chas"]My wife was a music major (flute) for 3.5 years, then decided she needed a marketable education and became a medical technologist. It's wonderful -- we have a house full of instruments but still engage in tons of geek talk (including, possibly especially music geek talk).[/quote]

My husband was a geology major but became a musician instead! We too have a house full of instruments.... we should get together for some music geek jams!

Laura