Do you ever get tunes confused

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
monkey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you ever get tunes confused

Post by monkey »

When I play the Welsh tune Suo Gan, I keep getting it confused with the 'concerning hobbits' theme from LOTR..

They both start very similarly and i end up playing a kind of hybrid hobbit tune.. :boggle: :D
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Do I ever get tunes confused? Yes, all the time. I think this happens to everyone who knows more than a few.

I think the stupidest thing I've done recently was accidentally start a tune I didn't (and don't) actually know at a session. In my head, what I thought was "I'll start 'Star Above the Garter'" but what came out was "Strike the Gay Harp." Luckily pretty much everyone else at our local session does know that tune, so it worked out okay, but man, did I feel stupid.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Yeah. When I mess up, I just play into a medley and work my way back to the original song. Of course, I play alone...

Maids of the Mourne Shore EASILY turns into The Minstril Boy.

Jig Kilivil turns into Donnybrook fair (but only when I'm sleepy.)

Etc.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Do you ever get tunes confused

Post by Dale »

monkey wrote:When I play the Welsh tune Suo Gan, I keep getting it confused with the 'concerning hobbits' theme from LOTR..

They both start very similarly and i end up playing a kind of hybrid hobbit tune.. :boggle: :D
Nah. It's not like any two Irish tunes sound anything alike. :wink:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Someone introduced our session to the tune Scollay's Reel. To this
day, no one can play King of the Fairies without conflating it with
Scollay's.

Oh, and let's not forget the great Boys of Blue Hill vs. Harvest Home
bout of 2006...
Henke

Post by Henke »

Yeah, I confuse tunes all the time, like everyone else does. If you know more than a few, and keep learning new ones, it becomes impossible to keep all the tunes appart. It's not unusual for me to start playing tunes I don't know eighter. Might be a tune from an old record or something that you've had in your head for ages. The fact that the reportoire is virtually endless and that many tunes sound so much alike makes it impossible to not confuse tunes from time to time.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

A few times in my past, I've dared to learn two tunes on the same day, back to back.

I never can remember which of those tunes go with which name when pressed at session. Tom always has to prompt me with the first few notes so that I can remember which is which...heh
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I used to be a strictly "learn from the dots" kind of guy, but in the last year or so, my ear has improved, and I've started picking up new tunes in session from other players, mainly jigs.

On the tunes I've learned in session, I frequently mix and match A and B parts, especially when I've just learned a few new tunes at roughly the same time and they are in the same key.

This sorts itself out as I keep playing the tunes in session, I finally get it in my head which body goes with which head, to avoid Frankentunes. ;)

--James
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I embarrased myself at a session once by starting playing the A part to St. Anne's Reel but somehow I played the B part to the Galway Hornpipe. I don't take full responsibility though; when I said I wanted to do St. Anne's Reel, the guy heading up the session said: "Why don't we swing it?" So I put a little swing in the tune, making it sound more like a fast paced hornpipe... when it came to the B part I guess Galway fit right in there... after all the first three or four notes of the B part to both songs are identical :) .
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

At my level of playing...

I never get them confused.

I just plain old get 'em wrong. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Do I ever get tunes confused ? Up to and including today , I'd have to say that was a major ....... YES !!! The real killer is to be in the middle of a performance and forget the tune that you're supposed to play. Nothing quite like standing in front of a group of people , with a piece of pipe in your hand , totally blank , and feeling very much like the village idiot !! :lol:

Have Great Day and Fun Whistling
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

There's a pair of tunes I accidentally play like this:

Part A of tune 1
Part B of tune 2
Part A of tune 1

or something like that. I'd like to tell you what the tunes are but I can't remember right now.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

The first ITM tune I learned on the whistle was Down by the Sally Gardens. I was (and still am) very new to ITM, so I was very green.

Anyway whenever I would try to hum it or play it, it often turned into the Titanic theme. :)

They do start out sounding a bit alike.

Jason
walrii

Post by walrii »

I have a hard time remembering the first few bars of some tunes. It seems to depend on what order I play them in. "Hector the Hero" has been particularly easy to forget lately. What I do is start on a bar I do remember; when I get to the end and start the A part over, it just flows. No sessions around here so I'm playing by myself and it doesn't matter much.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
missy

Post by missy »

at a large jam, half of us didn't hear the "let's change to this tune now" and kept on playing one song, half heard it and changed to the other. It actually wound up sounding good together - so a lot of people here play them that way now!!!!

And, for some reason, I can remember the "B" parts of songs better then the "A" parts, so I often have to start on the B.

I just call it all "improvisation" or "jazz"...... :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com