Board Demographics or let's get real!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I've read through this thread a couple of times, and I must say I didn't get from Kelhorn Mike's original message what everyone else seems to have.

I will agree if was not necessarily the most tactful posting I've ever seen; and, especially lately, he seems to be in good company on that.

What I got from his original posting is that individual feedback from his customers <i>does</i> matter, and indeed he says:

--quote--
<i><b>We'd (KELHORN/SUSATO)also like
to thank all our customers on this board
for buying and playing our whistles
and for the feedback. Positive as well
as the negative [....]</b></i>
--endquote--

I took from his message that while feedback from their customers is valued and appreciated, the overall opinion of the Chiff and Fipple Message Board taken <i>as an entity</i> doesn't have as much weight as some on the board might wish it did or might like to pretend it does. But the feedback from the individuals does count--just not necessarily the "group opinion".

I think this represents good common sense on Susato's part--look to actual customers more than to online special interests groups for feedback and product steering.

Susato designed their latest whistle (the VSB line) around user feedback--this is not the actions of a company that doesn't care what its customers think.

That is my $.02 worth on this latest "tempest in a teapot" thread.

Best wishes and peace to all,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hi James:

I dont think anyone on this Board "wishes or pretends" anything of the sort or ever said so, though some research might prove me wrong. If there is any kind of jockeying for position or presumption of power, its WITHIN the Forum and due to human nature and people's desire for recognition and credibility...

That's why I found post aggressive. Your points about feedback and vsb are well-taken tho.

I still don't get it.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

--quote--
<i>I dont think anyone on this Board "wishes or pretends" anything of the sort or ever said so, though some research might prove me wrong. If there is any kind of jockeying for position or presumption of power, its WITHIN the Forum and due to human nature and people's desire for recognition and credibility... </i>
--endquote--

Actually I believe I said:

--quote--
<i>taken as an entity doesn't have as much weight as some on the board might wish it did or might like to pretend it does</i>
--endquote--

The words "might wish" and "might like to pretend" are important. I don't make any claim that people on the board actually do feel this way, only that there is a possibility that there <i>may</i> be people that do.

I know that's being pretty nit-picky on the details, but hey!--seems like being nit-picky is what this thread is all about anyway! :razz:

I think it would be a good think for everybody--and I'll freely include myself in this--to take a deep breath, and stop taking this board quite so seriously. Let's all resolve to let it be fun again!

And I actually think that is what Kelhorn Mike's original posting was trying to say. Mike, if I'm putting words in your mouth, please accept my apologies!

Best to all
--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------------------

"Doctor, this morning I took Ex-Lax with my Prozac. Now I can't get off the pot, but I feel good about it!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peeplj on 2002-08-21 16:21 ]</font>
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-21 16:21, peeplj wrote:

I think it would be a good thing for everybody--and I'll freely include myself in this--to take a deep breath, and stop taking this board quite so seriously. Let's all resolve to let it be fun again!
I like that, James, and I hereby so resolve!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Great signoff!!!!!!!!!! yeah, lets get fun again until somebody gets a crappy whistle!!!!! Then we'll get mad. Then we'll get happy. Then we'll.....maybe some of us do need Prozac.....Ha!
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-08-20 14:23, Kelhorn Mike wrote:
Just ask Steve Power or Brigitte Goldie
as they are even more knowledgeable
about this than I could be.
I'm flattered that Mike might think this. But, I'm not sure that I am more knowledgeable than anyone at all on this matter (and most other's come to that). I am aware that there is a huge European Market for all things Irish (including whistles) but I have no idea how it compares with the USA or other world markets. My business is about 50-50 USA/Canada and Europe, at present (long may it continue).

I will say, though, that C&F and it's members was HIGHLY influential in geting Shanna Quay up and running. I wouldn't be eating Mexican without you guys! (Actually, I prefer Chinese, but you know what I mean).

Steve :smile:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Mr. Kelhorn doesn't seem to know that one unhappy potential customer can do FAR more harm than one happy customer can do good.

His general rudeness has made me an unhappy (no longer) potential customer.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

But what about me? Whistle makers still value MY opinion, right? RIGHT? Somebody, answer me??? Hello???
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Hey! Dazed, that is *my* guac picture. I found that!

Weekenders, there is no jockeying for position on this board. None at all. I'm first and that's that. :smile:

Yo, Tygh! We usually agree, but I'd still buy Susatos. I think it's kind of refreshing that MK speaks his mind here on the board. It's kinda dumb to insult your customers, and he does it anyway. In an odd way it seems more respectful to all of us here than just getting sicophantic remarks and shopkeeper's smiles out of whistle makers. (And I am willing to sponsor anyone who considers domestic US beer undrinkable.)

"Prost."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-08-21 18:26 ]</font>
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Hey Bloo:

Yeah, I know. I figured if the thread needs some more fun, well nothing says "fun" like a big bowl of guac, right???? I could have posted a photo of a certain Domestic Goddess making the green stuff, but I am such a Reasonable Person now, after all, so I restrained....

I also figured if Mike wants to eat Mexican, well, that'll be my contribution. :smile:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, I'm a bit baffled by the intent of Mike's original post. I agree with those that wonder what can be served by it. I guess we could all be humbled a bit, but I'm not sure that makes any real difference regarding what goes on here.

We're looking at 3200ish subscribers to the newsletter and 1370ish newletter members although we know that the number of active members is very much smaller.

Seems to me that Mike is undoubtedly correct that this board is a small sample of whistle players nationwide, even with those numbers. I certainly don't think we can make or break our friends at Susato! I differ with him (I think!) in two respects: First, I do believe that this board has allowed new makers to get established. Perhaps their might have been another way, but the way they used was through C&F. Second, I can't think of any reason NOT to believe that this group is a significant AND a representative sample of players. I still need to be convinced of that one.

But, hey, in any case, it seems to me like it's mostly fun, often informative, and useful to some people. So, I think I'll leave it on the internet.

:]

Dale

P.S. Oh, one more thing. It would sadden me to think that Mike is inferring a kind of genuine self-importance in C&F due to things like "The Undisputed King....", "DaleForceOne" and related crap I put in that would appear to suggest that Chiff & Fipple is a world power. Mock Gravity has always been a part of the humor of the site. It's, like,....a joke. I rarely take ANY of this very seriously.

Dale Wisely
Chiff & Fipple HQ

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-08-21 19:08 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-08-21 18:24, Bloomfield wrote:
Weekenders, there is no jockeying for position on this board. None at all. I'm first and that's that. :smile:
Actually, Loren's first. You're third. :grin:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-08-21 09:09, Bloomfield wrote:

Good one. And look at the timing. In another thread, Mike K had just been told that he can't say what he wants to say here because he represents his company, Susato.
G**damit Bloomfield, knock that sh*t off: Quit twisting my words. I didn't tell Mike what he could or couldn't do, I asked a rhetorical question you dolt.

I say enough that's controversial without you taking liberties by re-authoring my statements and/or intended meanings to suit your interests.

You know, I have really tried to lay off you and keep the truce we forged off-board, but you simply can't help needling me, can you? Fine then, so be it, asshole. (Hey, Kelhorn Mike got away with it....)

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-08-21 19:53 ]</font>
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

for sale :
susato low f whistle