Old dogs can learn new tricks!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bill T.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Post by Bill T. »

Hi folks!
After almost two years of lurking on this forum I decided I ought to let my presence be known. I decided to learn to play the whistle at the ripe old age of 74. Through my years I have fooled around with other instruments including the trumpet, hammered and lap dulcimer, and my vocal cords. But the whistle has given me as much satisfaction as any thing I have done. I now have the time to relax and enjoy playing. I play well enough to be comfortable and enjoy but not for the public! I have learned to truly appreciate and respect Itrad.

Likewise, I have become infected with WHOA and cannot fine a cure (not sure I want to!). I have too many whistles and have just ordered another. (a Syn)I live about two hours drive from where Susatos are manufactured and have visited there twice. The folks there sure know how to welcome visitors and we enjoyed both visits. I have two of their whistles which I appreciate and enjoy playing (Now having lurked for so long I fully understand how controversial that statement might be!)

Well, enough of this. I just wanted to thank all of you for making my whistle experience even more meaningful. I check this forum every day and have learned to appreciate all who post here. At 76 I am literally "blowing and going" and having a ball!!

Ole Bill
Phil Hardy

Welcome.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Well,it's really good to see older people taking up new things rather than rusting away in the yard.
Good on ya mate,I hope it keeps you happy for many years to come.
There is a wealth of tunes out there and you have the time to learn more than a few.
All the best and welcome to the yard.
Phil.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Welcome to the exciting world of Chiff&fipple whistle world Ole Bill.
It is good to see someone a little older than myself here. :lol:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hey Bill T., glad you stopped by. I'm 56 so I always have a special welcome for someone older than me, no matter what kind of whistle they play :lol: ! Don't wait another two years for your next post! :)
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Ole Bill --

As a fellow-Tarheel, I wanted to extend my greetings and regards. I don't know what your musical background is, but if you've grown up with traditional music of our part of the country, (i.e. Appalachian fiddle tunes), you've probably already found that the whistle handles them very well.

I love ITM, but being primarily a stringband kind of guy, tend to spend my energies on tunes from our neck of the universe. Some of the oldtime purists may not approve, nor the ITrad purists, but I'm not deterred. Folks music has never been static, and the whistle is incredibly flexible.

Hope you enjoy it a lot! BTW, I ordered a Syn set yesterday too. Can't wait to try it out! :party:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Welcome Bill!
I'm still on the other side of fifty, but I sometimes I feel pretty close to being an old dog. Makes me happy to hear about folks not only still doing music, but even picking up a new instrument, further over the hill than I am.

Gee, that's not sounding quite right. What I mean is that you inspire hope for years of music to come. Thanks, and I'm glad you found us!

Jennie
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Well God Bless ya and for Heavens sake dont look at my avatar!
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
TJ

Post by TJ »

Hi Bill

I'm kind of like you. I'm 61 and have been whisteling for three years.
I had no musical background before that. I lurk here regularly and have learned a lot over the years. Sure do miss Jessies posts and the pics of her baby. I hope a few more seniors make themselves known.

TJ
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

crookedtune wrote:Ole Bill --

As a fellow-Tarheel, I wanted to extend my greetings and regards. I don't know what your musical background is, but if you've grown up with traditional music of our part of the country, (i.e. Appalachian fiddle tunes), you've probably already found that the whistle handles them very well.

I love ITM, but being primarily a stringband kind of guy, tend to spend my energies on tunes from our neck of the universe. Some of the oldtime purists may not approve, nor the ITrad purists, but I'm not deterred. Folks music has never been static, and the whistle is incredibly flexible.

Hope you enjoy it a lot! BTW, I ordered a Syn set yesterday too. Can't wait to try it out! :party:
I'm sure the ITM purists don't think the whistle should only be used for that music. There are whistles in every country in the world! I think the only thing that bothers them is if someone calls something Irish traditional music that isn't. I'll let you deal with the old-timey folks over here :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi and welcome Bill T!

It never ceases to amaze me how the internet and boards such as C&F can level the field. Every poster on this board has something unique and valuable to offer. It's great to see so many standing to contribute!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I began to play the whistle at about 64. been playing for about 3 years give or take a little. I have even played the flute a little since last year. The whistle is not an instrument. It is an obsession. It leads to flutes and even pipes. Some have even taken up the button box. It is vicious.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Welcome to our world. ^-^
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hiyah, Bill. I'm gaining on ya!
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

Ceid Míle Fáilte leat a Ole Bill!!

Hope we will hear from you on a regular basis.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>