Which of these three Low Ds?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I originally tried out a Howard and Dixon low D, and owned the Kerry low D (with black tip) and the Kerry Songbird low D. The Kerry Songbird low d is my only low d. For me, I love everything about it. What I really like, is I like it as much as when Phil first sent it to me, what a day that was! And, the people I play with and people who've heard me play all love it over all my other whistles. Of course, they still think it's a "flute" :)

I took measurements of the finger stretch with all four of these whistles, and my Songbird is exactly 1/8" shorter from center hole to center hole of the next shortest reach. That was one of my concerns. I still use pipers grip but I can't say enough about the whistle. It's loverly.

For my money, the Songbird is definitely worth the extra cost over the Kerry low d.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Philo, in answer to your question regarding my low Ds..... there have been significant changes within the past year that have vastly improved the playability of my low Ds. These changes include an improved voicing of the wide bore model and similar changes in, what was a narrow bore before, to what is now my standard model low D.

If you tried one years ago you would be pleasantly surprised with what I am now making. Years of making whistles has taught me much, for which I'm grateful.

Ronaldo
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for the information all.

Alespa, I'd be curious as to what you like more about the Songbird over the plastic head Low D. I may consider the Songbird if the price is right. On Tinwhistlers review a year ago, it was about $120. If it's still around that, I may consider it.

I can only compare what I hear online. So, it would be nice if I could hear them back to back playing the same tune. But, that probably ain't gonna happen.

To me, the Songbird sounds more mellow and almost muddy for the lack of highs in the tone. But it's a nice sound.

The plastic head Kerry has more highs in the tone, so it's a little brighter while still having a mellow low D sound.

I'm not sure which I like better. If the holes are closer together on the Songbird than the plastic head, that's certainly a consideration.

Any other comments?

Thanks,
Jason
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

[quote="Chief Wanganui]If one finds an instrument which one likes, one would be prepared to sell one's house, one's wife, one's trousers, one's budgie, etc., etc., to procure said piece of kit. (Could one be starting to sound like Her Majesty the Queen?!).
Oh ****! One's wife occasionally looks at this forum.
How does one delete, again?[/quote]

ooo have to draw the line at selling the budgie :) Although my budgie died :( but I do have these guys.. here I will post links instead of the actual images. they are not very big but may be to large for the forum I dunno.

http://www.shadoespace.net/birdpics/PICT0018.JPG
http://www.shadoespace.net/birdpics/PICT0024.JPG
http://www.shadoespace.net/birdpics/oth ... CT0043.JPG

BUT to get back on topic...

I have one of the Kerry Black Plastic head low Ds(the easyblow is what he calls it) and quite like it. Has a lovely sound to it. Now if I could just play it better :) My short fingers don't care for the low D much heheh
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

I got the Chieftain Low tunable D and love it. I'm really just now after a few weeks of playing getting used to it and the more time in the more "at home" its becoming and really improving my Alto G and Messo A playing as my fingers are really getting strethched out. :) I realize that you didn't mention the Chieftain but I have another reason for my choice. I too am concerned about every penny I spend and for this reason the NS Chieftain tunable Low D now has very inexpensive bodies for the keys of low E and Eb that will go with the Low D head. This to me speaks value. If you have no thought for a Low E or Eb then please disregard this post... :D

WTA
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hmmm ... it's true - you CAN fit a budgie into a low D! When you hit the bell note he shoots out like a little rocket ... Unfortunately, budgies are not good at ITM. They will pick-up words though - sounds a bit like someone speaking on a bad cell-phone connection, but once you tune-in it's remarkable (and potentially embarasing) how much they pick-up! They are also easier to clean off your windshield than SAS troopers.

In my limited experience - the Kerry plastic head low D has the least air req - also good back-pressure if you're used to high whistles.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

MK, MK, MK, MK,
forget the rest- MK these are gems and in my humble opinion outstrip just about anything else out there.
www.jazzwhistle.com
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to say that, sooner or later,if you do pick up the flute,
low D whistles can have a way of being forgotten.
pop

Post by pop »

MK they look fantastic if they play as good as they look im tempted.Next job how to convince the old ball n chain.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

jim stone wrote:Just to say that, sooner or later,if you do pick up the flute,
low D whistles can have a way of being forgotten.
/agree
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
CelloDog

Post by CelloDog »

Thanks for all the info and encouragement.
I think it will be a Reyburn or a Chieftain (still not sure, but is the opinion that the new Chieftains are better than the new Overtons)?

As far as low whistles being pricey I was thinking about them in comparison to soprano d's -- I mean I got a real instrument (Feadog) for $5. But come to think of it those "pricey" low whistles cost about the price of two sets of cello strings. I bought a new used cello this year, got a great deal, but it cost more than my car (which, actually, isn't saying much). I'm just glad cellos don't come in different keys.

Interesting about the flute. I have to say the timbre of the low whistle speaks to me in a way the flute never has. I will have to listen to, and learn more about, the Irish flute.

Had a good time playing my Feadog in a (secluded) outdoor place today. Made some progress.

Thanks again, Doug
lisdoonvarna

Kerry Low D

Post by lisdoonvarna »

Jason- I have a Kerry low D with the plastic head that has hardly been used. I will sell it for 75.00 plus 5.00 for shipping in the US. It has a low breath requirement and has a lovely haunting sound.

Pat
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

One of the down sides of an online resource like this one is that you are exposed to so many temptations you'd otherwise be immune to. All the comparison shopping makes one wonder, "What if I didn't get the best one for my price range/ability/style? Folks who already have the perfect match in an instrument have the seeds of doubt planted in their minds, and they never quite commit to the relationship they've begun.

Whereas if you go with your first love, the very first one you heard or tried and spoke to you, you could probably be very happy with it for the rest of your life. If there's one you already know of, and it's not uncomfortable to play, and you love the sound, it may be worth stopping right there.

Jennie
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

A thought that really helps me makes desicions on my purchasing of the more pricey whistles here is this..."I can always sell and purchase another." If I've learned one thing about C and F is that most here are in that kind of mode and are willing to help if they can and share from their arsonals, a piece your looking for, for a very fare price. If you don't like it just post it "for sale" and try a new one. Or set up a deal where you can return it if you don't like it, all you have gambled is the postage. Lots of options to find a whistle you'll love.

WTA
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

William T. Anderson wrote:...share from their arsonals
Uh-oh. Whistles as weapons again. Just make sure the one you're buying isn't illegal in your state.

Jennie