I'm taking up the flute soon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Paddy Cummins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I'm taking up the flute soon

Post by Paddy Cummins »

How's a goin' everyone?

I'm new to this forum and am a banjo, mandola and guitar player. I also play a little bit of whistle but am now really interested in a flute. I'll be buying one sometime over the easter and got a lot of information on flute maintenance from other websites and people I know.

I'd like to ask you flute players here for some general tips relating to the playing of a flute. Things such as breathing and fingering techniques and how they differ from the whistle (D).

Thanks.
"What's next? The Bowl of Jelly?"
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

HI, welcome,

If you do searches an these topics, or just look over
past threads, there's a lot of info.

If something specific remains, do ask.

Best wishes, Jim
Paddy Cummins

Post by Paddy Cummins »

Thanks Jim. I'll have a look.
"What's next? The Bowl of Jelly?"
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Excellent. Please stick with us.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Paddy Cummings:
I'd like to ask you flute players here for some general tips relating to the playing of a flute. Things such as breathing and fingering techniques and how they differ from the whistle (D).
Whistle fingering is almost identical all the way. Breathing differs somewhat and embouchure is totally different. Much has been said here about embouchre so run a search for that key word.

Stay with it - - - and us.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i am fairly certain that by and far most of us are pro-breathing and pro-fingering. there will of course be those few who disagree. please keep at it, the sound is worth it.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Paddy, with regards to your questions: Do yourself a favor, read the thread titled "Rolls" and then, run like hell.

Loren
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Loren wrote:Paddy, with regards to your questions: Do yourself a favor, read the thread titled "Rolls" and then, run like hell.

Loren
Loren, Dangit, another ruined keyboar. I just spewed soda pop everywhere. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Dow, those birds in your sig are uber-cool, I think I just spent about 10 minutes watching them.

I think the best advice Paddy, as everyone else has said, is stick with it, don't get discouraged. She can be frustrating in the beginning, although I guess if you have the musical experience it will not be as bad.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

OnTheMoor wrote:stick with it, don't get discouraged. She can be frustrating in the beginning, although I guess if you have the musical experience it will not be as bad.
Which of us is "she?"

Jennie
Dana

Post by Dana »

Jennie wrote:
OnTheMoor wrote:stick with it, don't get discouraged. She can be frustrating in the beginning, although I guess if you have the musical experience it will not be as bad.
Which of us is "she?"

The flute? My flute is a "he".
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Dana wrote:
Jennie wrote:
Which of us is "she?"

I don't own any flutes, they own me. And I paid a great deal of money to have them dominate my entire life.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jumbuk

Re: I'm taking up the flute soon

Post by Jumbuk »

Paddy Cummins wrote: I'm new to this forum and am a banjo, mandola and guitar player. I also play a little bit of whistle but am now really interested in a flute.
I play guitar, banjo and mandolin - well, I sold my tenor banjo a few yaers back, so I don't play banjo any more. Have been playing guitar for about 30 years now.

I took up flute about 1 year ago. Slow progress at first - I even felt awkward just trying to hold it at first. After about a month, I could get a scale and a weak effort at a slow tune. If you stick at it and are patient, it just keeps improving. I can now play a handful of jigs and hornpipes up to speed, but myreels are too slow (working on that!).
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Dana wrote:
Jennie wrote:
Which of us is "she?"

:-? So are mine.

How could these guys not have noticed . . . !!??!! Men . . . go figure!

Paddy, right now, you're hearing everyone say "don't become discouraged" and "keep at it," and you haven't a clue what they mean.

Soon, though--about 10 seconds after picking up that flute the first time--you're going to have an inkling. About 10 minutes after that you're going to want to stomp your flute into toothpicks. This desire will recur every time you pick up that flute for the next year. Possibly longer. And with good reason.

So, print out this entire thread, fold it up neatly, write "DO NOT BECOME DISCOURAGED!" on the front of it, and insert it into your flute case in such a way that those words remain visible at all times. You'll need them.

Progress in flute is measured in micro-increments. Be happy with those and do not fret because you are not achieving performance-level success right away.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dow wrote:
Loren wrote:Paddy, with regards to your questions: Do yourself a favor, read the thread titled "Rolls" and then, run like hell.

Loren
Loren, Dangit, another ruined keyboar. I just spewed soda pop everywhere. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just hedging my bets: If the flute making thing doesn't work out for me, I plan to go into the keyboard repair business - gotta create some demand, just in case. :wink:

Loren