guitar & whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benkuhn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benkuhn »

I'm just a lowly guitar player, so I hope I'm not asking for it...

I have a wonderful whistle player in my life who enjoys Irish tunes, and I'd like to be able to play along with her on my guitar. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some books or web sites where I might find some music that works well with guitar & whistle.

- Ben
jimr

Post by jimr »

Ben,
Certainly L.E. McCollough's "121 Favorite Irish Session Tunes" is what you might be looking for. Four CD's, chords, music, what else could you ask for. It's published by Homespun. ISBN 0-634-01164-2 and available almost everywhere.

Jim
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

The "Ireland's Best" series of books and/or 2 CD sets are excellent.
Just beware thet "Ireland's Best Slow Airs" is the exception to the rule... it doesn't include the guitar chords for some strange reason.
You can also find ABC notation for many tunes that contains the guitar chords.
<A HREF=http://www.freesheetmusic.net/cgi-bin/s ... sh/>Prof's Traditional Music Pages</A> is a great source of ABC notation with guitar chords, and <A HREF=http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/F ... .html>JC's ABC Tune Finder</A> is always a good place to look.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Just wanted to say hi Jim. I agree with your suggestion of books. I just came from the "demographics whatjamhicky post" and was thinking about you.

I'm still in love with both my Copelands and the service from you guys. But then you wouldn't be one of those manufacturers that actually pays attention to customers on a little ole lowly whistle website would you?

Did my sarcasm come through in type?
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-08-20 22:14, benkuhn wrote:
I have a wonderful whistle player in my life who enjoys Irish tunes, and I'd like to be able to play along with her on my guitar.
Aww! :grin: Yay, I will have accompaniment!

Welcome to the Dark Side! :lol: Hope you don't get Guitar Obsessive Acquisition - at least any worse than it is now!

Edit: <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... =1">Here's a link</a> to a thread on this topic from a few weeks back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-08-21 13:16 ]</font>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Wow, its the phone caller Sleepless in Seattle! Awesome..

Problem with McCullough is that chords are weird and dont always match whats on record, which was done with DADGADY tuning.

I have always had to harmonize em myself. Some of the abcs might have chords. Its really a problem.

There are a coupla Scottish tune books that have chords. If interested. Beth mail me and I will send details.

Welcome BEN!!!!
jimr

Post by jimr »

Mary, AKA D'Mouse, I appreciate the kind words. And thanks for leading me to that thread,... really interesting.

Jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jimr on 2002-08-21 08:23 ]</font>
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

This is a link to Han Speek's DADGAD page http://home.hccnet.nl/h.speek/dadgad/ he also has some links to other pages which might be helfpul, also there is the MadForTrad tutorial for Guitar out but I do not know how good it is, our guitar player yet has to pick it up and start practising with it.
Hope this helps
Brigitte
steve

Post by steve »

I am a lowly guitar player also. You are in a fantastic situation to have a whistler to accompany. I would suggest that you don't need any music at all but only your ears. In John Doyles Irish guitar video, he explains that he never learned any special theory for backing up tunes, but plays chords that sound right to him. Anyway it is impossible to memorize the chords to all the tunes that exist, but if you develop your ear you can back almost any tune. Also backing up a whistle makes it easy to guess what key the tune will be in. I'd say good luck, but it appears that you already lucky indeed.
--balance--
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I would like to second what Weekenders and Steve said. Basically, work it out for yourself. There's a valuable post from Chris Smith on the cittern list. If you are a member of that you can access it. It's message 7534. If you're not, I can forward it if you're interested. It's about five pages. Chris gives concrete suggestions for approaching a new tune. The cittern list is a Yahoo list.

Steve

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SteveK on 2002-08-21 09:41 ]</font>
Gary

Post by Gary »

On 2002-08-21 08:46, steve wrote:
I am a lowly guitar player also...
STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! "Lowly guitar player" is an oxymoron! I'm a guitarist (It's not all about me.) and guitars can do really cool things like BIG FAT six note chords. Try THAT on your red tipped tooter! (Ducks, dodges & deflects flying bottles.) See? You can better defend yourself in a brawl with a guitar, too.

Gary
Guitarist for 'Gary and the Gators.'
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

[/quote]

You can better defend yourself in a brawl with a guitar, too.

[/quote]

Are you sure? A Clarke Sweetone or Walton's LBW driven with the heel of your hand makes a formidable weapon, and a bodhran makes an effective shield. In addition, neither are as likely to be taken away and used against you. Not that I'm advocating violence or anything :grin:
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

In addition to my comments about Chris Smith's books on the the recent topic mentioned above, I found some additional links by Chris at <a href=http://geocities.com/coyotebanjo/instruction/>his Coyote Banjo intruction</a> site.
If you've been playing guitar for a while, you will probably get a lot out of Chris's book.

BTW Gary, whats with this measily 6 string stuff ... my 12 string is twice as "FAT".

Good luck and ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-08-21 14:37 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

A bodhran doesn't seem like it would shield you from anything more pointy than a pint!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!