a good pipe? And what pitch?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

I think I will order a Davy Stephenson half set, as it seems his pipes are quite good, according to this forum, right? In other words, I could not go wrong getting a set from him?

Also, being very new, a beginner actually, although I am familiar with working hard to play the Low D whistle... I am not sure which pitch I would like. C is the most common?

Is anyone familiar with any website that has sound samples of the various pitches, D, C#, C, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elbogo on 2002-08-20 03:32 ]</font>
janice

Post by janice »

Get a D set for now. Have you ordered your set already? I suggest you try Dave Daye's practice chanter and/or practice set, if not. A very good product at a very attractive price and his service can not be beat. And for a beginner, they are very reliable.
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

I've heard good things regarding Davy
Stephenson pipes. I exchanged one brief correspondance (a question regarding chanter cap materials) and found him to be courteous and helpful.
As for chanter pitch, if you're going to play with a group of people, a concert D set will be better received. As to whether a D chanter, or a flat chanter has a better sound, I believe it is up to the reed setup, the set, and the player. The Leo Rowsome CD "Ri na bpiobairi", "The King of the Pipers" has eight or nine tracks with concert D pipes, and another eight or nine on a set of flat pipes. I'm sure that there are other similar recordings, but this one is the most familiar to me.

dave boling
goatpiper

Post by goatpiper »

I highly recommend Seth Gallagher...his pipes are excellent (his C is fantastic if you're considering a flat set), his service is great....you just can't go wrong...
you'll have them within a year or so, too, I'd bet.

Aaron Welsh
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

If you decide to get a D set then Dave Williams is your man, although the waiting list is around six years now.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Who can wait six years? But thanks, all! Come on, dosen't anyone on this list have Davy Stephenson pipes?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elbogo on 2002-08-21 13:19 ]</font>
anima

Post by anima »

I have a Stephenson practice set that I am very happy with. Happy enough that I ordered my drones set a few months ago which should be finished around the end of this month.

Jeff
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Concert D Uilleann 1/2-Set for Sale - Posted on: 08/20/02 00:20:05 EDT Ad No.: 1455

Half-set of Concert D Uilleann pipes for sale. Made by Seth Gallagher (www.uilleann.com). New condition ebony & brass set, with cherry wood bellows. Plays beautifully. Comes with extra reed. I paid $2,700...will sell for $2,600 (no wait!)
Reply to: Greg Mitchell at (603) 788-3157 - tamiym@earthlink.net
Back to Classifieds or Bagpiper.Com Home
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Hya Elbogo,I think what people are saying is dont rush into this.What I would suggest is PLEASE dont rush into this.I have never heard of Davy Stephenson until this week so I cannot comment.He is not on the Na Piobaire Uilleann data base nor the list of pipemakers but that does not mean he is not a competant maker.I suggest you visit Na Piobaire Uilleanns website and take a look at the pipemakers listing under "about us then" buying a set,"you can then visit their websites.Get a reccomend from someone you know and if at all possible try and hear them first.If you want to play along with other musos then D is your only option or Cnat{ which will be down an octave and may not be heard in sessions.}the flat sets are for pure sweetness of sound and enjoyment only.C# and Bflat in the old baroque pitch heavenly sound and as you might have guessed my preference.BUT be careful if you opt for a flat set many makers will say they can make them but very very few make really good ones, in my books only 2 can do the job to the highest standard Andreas Rogge and Geoff Woof. The tone of a chanter is dependant on a bit more than the reed set up! the length of chanter,the internal bore the diameter and length between note holes the length and diam.of reed staple to name just the basics!!Good luck.Slan go foill
Liam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uilliam on 2002-08-21 14:10 ]</font>
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Have any of you tried Martin Preshaw's work? I havea a D chanter by him and am delighted with it! It's one of the best sounding D chanters I've heard... I'm not soliciting or getting comission for these compliments I merely think that he is making good playing in tune instruments for the right price and the right waiting period.

http://www.unionpipes.co.uk/

All the best,

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2002-08-21 15:21 ]</font>
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

elbogo... how soon do you need these pipes?
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Tony, no rush, really, but I am thinking about ordering in probably 2 or 3 months, after I've done my research. Why do you ask? You have a deal for me: great pipes at a great price?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elbogo on 2002-08-22 04:26 ]</font>
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

By the way, thanks everyone for your input!! This an excellent forum and I'm having fun, plus a little agony trying to figure out who to get my pipes from. ieeeeah!! (pulling hair out.)
AlanBurton

Post by AlanBurton »

If your buying yourself some pipes (particularly buying "blind" by mail order, make sure they provide an approval period of about 3 months in which to complain about loose ferrules/joints/crap reeds/leaks. It's not much to ask, and can give you time to find someone with the knowledge to give you an appraisal of the sets quality. Perhaps even get the maker to play one of his sets over the phone, long notes up and down the scale?
Alan
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Chris Bayley has three half-sets of uilleann pipes up for sale at 1.100 sterling each. I have no experience of his pipes so can't advise. Perhaps somebody else has though?
The ad is on NPU's site at:
http://www.pipers.ie/en/ads.lasso