World Famous

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

ausdag wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
ausdag wrote: The guy is who now?
Aine Hensey.
Right, Aine Hensey. Is that someone that the world-wide humanhood of pipers should know about?
Okay, Aine Hensley is the presenter of a radio show called The Late Session. That is the show Peter and Kitty Hayes are being interviewed for. Here is a link that describes her program and you can see the past programs that you can listen to. If you click on "2006" and then scroll down you will see the show Peter and Kitty Hayes are on.
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thelatesession/
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

What I've heard is that since there are only about 4 radio stations in all Ireland (is that true or am I gullable?) these programs are national events -in that MANY people listen to these shows.

Peter, great to hear your voice.

All the best,
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Áine Hensey
Presenter Áine Hensey, after spending 15 years in Clare, now lives in Co. Wexford and has been presenting traditional music programmes on radio for over 20 years and has a lifetime's experience and knowledge of traditional music to call upon.

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
djm

Post by djm »

Áine has been around the block a few times, but The Late Session is produced by Peter Browne, who is a very good piper (pre-Keenan Bothy Band), and ensures that there's usually a taste of piping in the show.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice show, it was good to hear both Kitty and yourself Peter talk about your music and its origins.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Paul Reid wrote:What I've heard is that since there are only about 4 radio stations in all Ireland (is that true or am I gullable?)
Yes you are extremely gullible! most of us here havent even heard one of those new fangled wireless thingys! :lol:

In dublin alone, there must be at least 9 or 10 "official" stations!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Cynth wrote:Okay, Aine Hensley is the presenter of a radio show called The Late Session. That is the show Peter and Kitty Hayes are being interviewed for. Here is a link that describes her program and you can see the past programs that you can listen to. If you click on "2006" and then scroll down you will see the show Peter and Kitty Hayes are on.
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thelatesession/
Gotcha!! Thanks. I've listened a few times so now I know who I'm listening to. Still only on dial-up so I need extra time to listen - something I have not much of these days, but I'll try and have a listen soon.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
billh

Post by billh »

flanum wrote:
Paul Reid wrote:What I've heard is that since there are only about 4 radio stations in all Ireland (is that true or am I gullable?)
Yes you are extremely gullible! most of us here havent even heard one of those new fangled wireless thingys! :lol:

In dublin alone, there must be at least 9 or 10 "official" stations!
Yes, but still the number of stations is very low compared to the US.

I live in a "radio reception black spot", for some reason reception dissolves around the time you reach Skerries, so I'm not much of a radio listener. But this is my basic take on it:

The vast majority are "affiliated" across the country, which means that in any given place there may be only a handful of different programs available, and most are part of one of the "networks", i.e RTE or Lyric FM etc. Clare FM is a notable exception. It's true that in Dublin you may get 10 or more different sets of programming, but that's an exception and in most of the country you might only get 5 or 6.

(all right Dubs, you can correct me on all that now...)

Bill
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

billh wrote:
I live in a "radio reception black spot", for some reason reception dissolves around the time you reach Skerries, so I'm not much of a radio listener. Bill
Heh, thats because your Morris Minor is causing massive interference in Skerries :wink:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I listened to the show a couple of times the other night--congratulations, and your music was lovely.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis