Harry Potter author posts on Weight Issues

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I have to add that the medical profession doesn't help when it comes to weight issues either.

I absolutely dread going to the doctor, at least partially because the first thing any medical professional pounces on is my weight. Before I stopped smoking, that was the the issue they harped on, but now it's how much I weigh, and the fact that they refuse to believe that I'm trying to do anything about it, or even that I have the brain cells to realize how much I do (or don't) eat or exercise. And, frankly, it's not a matter of changing doctors...every doctor I've had for the past 12 years has fed me the same line. It doesn't matter how much I work out, how much (or how well) I actually do eat, what my resting pulse rate is, or anything else...if my weight or body fat is above a certain level, it's going to kill me, and it's obviously my fault. Weight is the new smoking...something to make people feel guilty about.

In a world where medical professionals (many of whom are no "fitter" than their patients) make adults feel like losers for being overweight, how do kid have any chance at all?

I do circuit training three to four days a week. I walk 5 miles on my "off" days. I eat less (and more carefully) than most "skinny" people. I have a resting pulse rate of 60 bpm. I also weigh 185 pounds, am technically "obese" and am pre-diabetic. And, according to the medical profession, not to mention the average Joe on the street, it's all my fault. That's the reality many of us deal with.

Three cheers for Rowling. More people need to be questioning this whole "cult of thinness."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

anniemcu wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:...James, the problem is not only the urge to be skinny, but the urge to be like everybody else. The urge to conform to what other people think is attractive. In the end I just feel bad for people who have to be like everybody else, they are only hurting themselves.

Disclamer, my post is not only about weight, but a problem with society. I am happy to see that some respected people are encouraging kids of all ages to have a mind of their own.
The real irony of this, of course, is that upon questioning the youngsters falling into this pattern, many will say that they want to look like individuals... that they are dressing 'differently' to assert their uniqueness... They *think* they are being different when they are in fact following the newest 'norm' .... they don't have a clue what lemmings they are being. That's sad.

edited to clarify which part of Unseen's post I was replying to.
That is so true. I was actually having a very similar conversation with one of my friends. She was saying that a bunch of other girls try to be like her. The kids who are trying to be different are just copying someone else. I don't even care any more (not that I did in the first place), I do what I want. If I want to spend a Friday night Playing Irish Flute, I will and I have. Although, that goes under the problem of having to wake up at 5:45am, which means I can't get the playing I would like to get done as I prefer to play late at night. Being an individual is doing what one want, not copying an individual. I have to see this everyday of my life, it is no wonder I am trying to get out of High School a year early. Although, the funny thing is, now that I completly don't care, I have more friends than I ever did before, it is an interesting pattern.

Another disclaimer, I am not obese and never have been. My best friend is obese, and I eat way more than he does. In fact, currently I am pretty fit. The problem is not only fat, it is the need to single out people who are different.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Redwolf wrote:I have to add that the medical profession doesn't help when it comes to weight issues either.

I absolutely dread going to the doctor, at least partially because the first thing any medical professional pounces on is my weight. Before I stopped smoking, that was the the issue they harped on, but now it's how much I weigh, and the fact that they refuse to believe that I'm trying to do anything about it, or even that I have the brain cells to realize how much I do (or don't) eat or exercise. And, frankly, it's not a matter of changing doctors...every doctor I've had for the past 12 years has fed me the same line. It doesn't matter how much I work out, how much (or how well) I actually do eat, what my resting pulse rate is, or anything else...if my weight or body fat is above a certain level, it's going to kill me, and it's obviously my fault. Weight is the new smoking...something to make people feel guilty about.

In a world where medical professionals (many of whom are no "fitter" than their patients) make adults feel like losers for being overweight, how do kid have any chance at all?

I do circuit training three to four days a week. I walk 5 miles on my "off" days. I eat less (and more carefully) than most "skinny" people. I have a resting pulse rate of 60 bpm. I also weigh 185 pounds, am technically "obese" and am pre-diabetic. And, according to the medical profession, not to mention the average Joe on the street, it's all my fault. That's the reality many of us deal with.

Three cheers for Rowling. More people need to be questioning this whole "cult of thinness."

Redwolf
Yes, that is absurd. Of course, I don't have a clue how tall you are, but I weigh more than you, do regular yoga and Tai Chi, and can still run and play when I can be pried from the computer or the whistle. My doc doesn't harp on the weight, he's jealous of the Tai Chi. :lol:

Now, there is no denying that a great portion of the US citizenry is *dramatically* obese, and that has far more to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of foodstuffs at hand at any given time. McDonalds and their ilk, and the enormously processed and high fat and calorie content of popular foods is a big problem. We usually choose what our tongues like, not what is actually good for our bodies.

If you want dicotomy, take a look at just about any major healthcare facility... nurses tend to obesity... not because they are inherently heavy, but because of the hours, stress and lack of healthy snacks available when they need them. (hospital kitchens tend to be closed when you really need them.) So those caring for the unhealthy tend to *be* unhealthy. And hardly any of them are actually happy about that.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Unseen122 wrote: ... Being an individual is doing what one want, not copying an individual. I have to see this everyday of my life, it is no wonder I am trying to get out of High School a year early. Although, the funny thing is, now that I completly don't care, I have more friends than I ever did before, it is an interesting pattern.

Another disclaimer, I am not obese and never have been. My best friend is obese, and I eat way more than he does. In fact, currently I am pretty fit. The problem is not only fat, it is the need to single out people who are different.
Isn' that the truth?! You'll find that interesting pattern repeated throughout your life... it's amazing how attractive one gets when one desides not to be bothered. :lol:

And as for body shape... it really doesn't always depend on food consumption at all. There are genetic settings that make some people just plain prone to be round, exercizing or not. The real problem is lack of healthy function in the body... too much fat compared to muscle and ability to move. Someone who is still getting exercise is likely to be more healthy than someone who is not... no matter their body shape.

Our society is way, way too concerned with outward appearance and way too ignorant of inner beauty.

I strongly recommend the movie "Shallow Hal" as required viewing for all.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

mukade wrote:
J.K Rowling wrote:For Girls Only, Probably...
My best friend died from the unforgiving assault of anorexia nervosa.

His parents refused to believe their son had a "girls' disease" until it was too late.

Boys aren't supposed to be interested in that sort of thing.

Mukade
Well that's nonsense - boys do develop anorexia, though sometimes for different reasons. The first example coming to mind is the lead singer of the austrialian rock band Silverchair, who went through treatment for the disease sometime between their second and third album. It's been ages since I read the interview but he cited control issues over body image but it was still the same disease.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Also, I totally agree on the lemming vote. I basically "dropped out" of any sort of social life by middle school because I refused to march in lock-step with the rest of my peers, and as a result I was tormented by them and had few friends. Was the sacrifice worth keeping my personal identity? I wasn't sure at the time, but I do know now that I am glad I did not give in and turn into another stupid blind sheep. I still don't have a lot of friends, but the ones I do I wouldn't trade for anything.

People just need to learn to think for themselves. It doesn't help that elementary school trains children to be blindly obedient and never question what they're being taught. All the subjects that encourage independent thinking and personal expression, like art and music, are being cut out to make room for more standardized testing. And that's the ultimate lesson they get: you have to live up to one be-all, end-all Standard.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

anniemcu wrote:
And as for body shape... it really doesn't always depend on food consumption at all. There are genetic settings that make some people just plain prone to be round, exercizing or not. The real problem is lack of healthy function in the body... too much fat compared to muscle and ability to move. Someone who is still getting exercise is likely to be more healthy than someone who is not... no matter their body shape.

Our society is way, way too concerned with outward appearance and way too ignorant of inner beauty.
By saying that, I was pointing out an example of what you are explaining.

Society is way too concerned with apperance, it sickens me.

I guess I may be a bit lucky to have a Mother who used to be a dietition, or just nagged a lot. The real moral, is I usually know who to eat right, I avoid fast food like the plauge.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Unseen122 wrote: The real moral, is I usually know who to eat right, I avoid fast food like the plauge.
Yes, trying to catch a fast person can be a little daunting... that's why I settle for the slower types... you know... babies and the elderly. :lol:
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

susnfx wrote:I think djm hit it on the head: there is a huge range between fat and thin and fitness is the best alternative. Rowling doesn't say anywhere that she wants her girls to be fat. She just says she doesn't want them to be obsessed with being thin, something with which I think any parent would agree.

Susan
I'd have to ditto that sentiment too.
I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny - a thousand things, before 'thin'.
Somehow, growing up with a mother like JKR I don't think they'll have any problems with these! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Just a typical predator, you are! :P :lol: :D
picking off the weak, sick, elderly....
JES
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tyler Morris wrote:Just a typical predator, you are! :P :lol: :D
picking off the weak, sick, elderly....
JES
... more like...

... get in mah belly... I want my baby back baby back baby back..... rlrlrlribs. :D
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thanks for keeping it light, guys.
missy wrote:please be aware, anorexia is often not about weight or food, it's about control. Often the sufferer feels they have no control over any aspect of their life, and their intake of food IS the one thing they, and only they, can control.
This is a very important point. Binging, purging, and deprivation are like self-mutilation (cutting and the like).

But there's also the Body Dismorphia factor, where the individual's self-perception is distorted. That's when the problem becomes even more difficult because not only are the individual's behaviors dangerous, but so are his/her thoughts.

I'm glad that JK Rowling has brought up the issue and will hopefully make an impact on her young fans. As soon as children hit pre-teen their self-esteem diminishes and they almost have to rebuild from nothing. Doing that while your body is going through all manner of uncomfortable changes just compounds the challenge.

The point about fitness getting left out of the debate is very important too but then again, especially in the case of adolescents, things appear more dichotomous than they do as we get older (and hopefully wiser). But perhaps stearing the debate away from Fat v. Skinny to Healthy v. Unhealthy will be more constructive.

But it goes back to the control thing. For many people, especially in the United States, an individual's health is almost out of control. For some it's difficult to grasp which is why obesity is becoming more common. The vast surplus and availability of unhealthy food is amazing. Unless you are taught how to cook decently and eat right, it's actually more expensive to eat healthy.

So economics can play a significant factor in how healthy you are and how likely you are to become obese. That's just one example of how healthy behaviors are challenging to control. There's also the lack of physical activity which is another part of the problem.

Thanks, James, for pointing out the article. I haven't read it yet because, like Emmline, I'm sure I'll burn more time getting caught up in Harry Potter fervour.

Cheers,

Aaron