Another "Which Maker Can Do This" Thread

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

fearfaoin wrote:
Mitch wrote:Having a C# bell on a D yields a whistle equally at home in aeolian and Locrian - but what for?? Every time I try to compose in Locrian it sounds like Martian music!
I don't know about you, but if I ever get to Mars, I'm bringing a whistle with me!
Good man you are!

T' vessel's in the garridge - it runs on Guiness! Onefe t'road and lean back hard on that locrian feadawg! I'll be watchin these dials.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

I kicked around the idea of different feet for a flute that was missing its one key. It took a while to decide between Eb (standard), C#, and C. I eventually decided on C, using the keywork off a defunct tenor recorder. The result was encouraging, and it sure is fun to have that mixolydian option. It's acoustically wrong, being a conical bore that wasn't designed for the extended foot, so some notes are weak and the high notes are a challenge, but this shouldn't be a problem on cylinders.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

raindog1970 wrote: I'm not trying to be disrespectful by asking, but curiosity is killing me as to why you'd need the 1/2 step lower... I can't think of a single tune.
Gary, the problem is you are thinking only in terms of Irish tunes (I can think of one, Sully's #6). The Gaita Galega, or Galician Bagpipes, have Whistle Fingering, but go down half a step. So, I recently decided that I would sell my Highland Pipes (which haven't been played for around 6 months) and by a Gaita. So, in order to help me learns tunes while I am waiting for my GHBs to sell and waiting for a Gaita to be ready (although, I found a store that has a couple in stock :D ), I want some thing to help me get the feel for it. It is getting on my nerves having to play half the tunes up an octave, plus I can't imagine trying to learn a tune with the Pipes out and the CD player on. I knew someone would ask.
ctilbury

Re: Another "Which Maker Can Do This" Thread

Post by ctilbury »

Unseen122 wrote:Alright, so I find myself wanting a D, C, Bb Whistle set, but not just any, each whistle needs to have a pinkie that is a half step lower (ie C# on the D, B on the C, and A on the Bb). Who out there wants to do this?

I am not looking to wait long or spend a lot, these will probably be played mostly around the house.

Avery LeVine
I could prolly whomp up a set for ya. PM if you are interested.
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You are a little bit late Chuck. David O'Brien says they should be done in about a week. I know of some other whistles which need to get done. :P
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

I´ve been experimenting a lot as many of you out there. I have a method of modyfing which i have developed myself. I glue a thin piece of aluminium tin under the hole with crazy glue and add a cap, made of an old flute body, with the same dimension as the hole, on top. This gives a seamless impression. I then re-drill the hole. But this is a time consuming method. It would actually be easier if one could get hold of brass tubing in the same dimension as, for example, Genereation or Feadog use.

Does anyone know where brass tubing in these dimensions can be obtaind?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

raindog1970 wrote:I'm not trying to be disrespectful by asking, but curiosity is killing me as to why you'd need the 1/2 step lower... I can't think of a single tune.
"McDermott's Hornpipe". It's a great old D major tune which goes down to the C# several times. (Just learned it yesterday, off Fortune Favours the Merry.)

Edited to add: And the one after it, too, "The Flowers of Antrim".
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

falkbeer wrote:It would actually be easier if one could get hold of brass tubing in the same dimension as, for example, Genereation or Feadog use.

I dont know if you have it in Sweden, but here in the US, most stores that sell radio control models have a brass tubing display. I dont know about Generations, but Fedog has 1/2-inch tubing that works damn near perfect. You can also get it at SpecialShapes.com, but they have a $100 minimum order last time I checked. Also, I have some left over from an experement that I will sell to you.
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

ctilbury wrote:
falkbeer wrote:It would actually be easier if one could get hold of brass tubing in the same dimension as, for example, Genereation or Feadog use.

I dont know if you have it in Sweden, but here in the US, most stores that sell radio control models have a brass tubing display. I dont know about Generations, but Fedog has 1/2-inch tubing that works damn near perfect. You can also get it at SpecialShapes.com, but they have a $100 minimum order last time I checked. Also, I have some left over from an experement that I will sell to you.
Well how about telling us about the experiment?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

I made a bunch of brass whistles that looked very nice, but they were too breathy and quiet for my liking. They were also very hard to make. I had a reject rate of about 1 in 4. The material is rather fragile to make a whistle to sell. WanderingWhistler (Greg) reviewed them pretty favorably, but I sent him one of the best of the best, thinking that my making of them would improve after I made a few dozen. Unfortunately, it was a dead end. I am still working on brass instruments, but I am using much heavier material. I have finally figured out how to make them consistently, but they still do not sound the way that I want. I send a few out to people for informal reviews. Here is the results of on of my latest:
We all liked the looks and feel of the whistle and all thought the sound quality was nice, but too quiet for sessions. It is also a bit hard to get a strong airflow through the mouthpiece and we really had to push to get the air into the whistle. We are wondering if it's due to the mouthpiece hole being thin and wonder if that were a little bigger if the sound would be louder, and it wouldn't be so hard to get air into it. We also noticed that the lower D and E notes became too quiet, almost disappearing at times. Many of us had difficulty with the upper octave on the B and C notes being a little hard to hit. The other thing that I, myself wonder is if you could add some plastic or put a coating to the mouthpiece because it left a metalic aftertaste in my mouth after I played it for a while? We all liked the size of the body of the whistle, very comfortable to hold, the holes being a good size, not too big and the spacing was good, I thought.
That brassy taste seeps into the cracks between the pieces and is really hard to get out. Also, the whistle is really too quiet for anything but playing by ones self in a quiet room. You also have to use really good breath control in order to hit the high register accurately and in tune. I want to make an easy whistle to play so you dont have to think about the whistle, only the tune. I will get it right. It is just taking a lot longer than I would like... :) I have a plan... :P
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

ctilbury wrote:I made a bunch of brass whistles that looked very nice, but they were too breathy and quiet for my liking. They were also very hard to make. I had a reject rate of about 1 in 4. The material is rather fragile to make a whistle to sell. WanderingWhistler (Greg) reviewed them pretty favorably, but I sent him one of the best of the best, thinking that my making of them would improve after I made a few dozen. Unfortunately, it was a dead end. I am still working on brass instruments, but I am using much heavier material. I have finally figured out how to make them consistently, but they still do not sound the way that I want. I send a few out to people for informal reviews. Here is the results of on of my latest:
We all liked the looks and feel of the whistle and all thought the sound quality was nice, but too quiet for sessions. It is also a bit hard to get a strong airflow through the mouthpiece and we really had to push to get the air into the whistle. We are wondering if it's due to the mouthpiece hole being thin and wonder if that were a little bigger if the sound would be louder, and it wouldn't be so hard to get air into it. We also noticed that the lower D and E notes became too quiet, almost disappearing at times. Many of us had difficulty with the upper octave on the B and C notes being a little hard to hit. The other thing that I, myself wonder is if you could add some plastic or put a coating to the mouthpiece because it left a metalic aftertaste in my mouth after I played it for a while? We all liked the size of the body of the whistle, very comfortable to hold, the holes being a good size, not too big and the spacing was good, I thought.
That brassy taste seeps into the cracks between the pieces and is really hard to get out. Also, the whistle is really too quiet for anything but playing by ones self in a quiet room. You also have to use really good breath control in order to hit the high register accurately and in tune. I want to make an easy whistle to play so you dont have to think about the whistle, only the tune. I will get it right. It is just taking a lot longer than I would like... :) I have a plan... :P

Thanks for sharing that. Interesting comments. Some want a whistle with volume and others want quiet. I have gone through a rejection rate also. When my acceptane rate went up so did the amount of time involved. Trying to do it all without a lathe holds me back a little. I did put togeather a work arbor that allows some horizontal turning, mostly for polishing and some file work.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

Welcome. Ya, some like loud and some like quiet. I decided to make whistles that I like. :D
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com