Wooden whistle value??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Pops
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Wooden whistle value??

Post by Whistling Pops »

I have about 20 whistles but would like one made of wood.. What is the most affordable QUALITY wooden whistle? :party:
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sweetheart, if you are alright with Laminate. Of course, they make blackwood and rosewood also.
Last edited by Unseen122 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

Obrien's maple is just over a hundred dollars and plays very well.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Sweetheart seconded.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Lancewood Syn is an extremely nice whistle to both play and look at.

My Weston Whistle made of Sapele in D is the sweetest sounding whistle: full and round.

Both $125 US or less.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I second SYN lancewood, Sweetheart dymondwood and Weston hmmmm.

The SYN has the most angelic tone, the Sweetheart has the most professional performance and the Westwood has the most character!

Wood is way different to metal or plastic - no matter how exact the manufacture, wood will have its way. Plastic is predictable, metal is malleable, but every piece of wood is as individual as the tree it once occupied!

A well crafted wooden whistle will take its place in your heart like a close friend or a favourite pet. If the maker is sensitive then the character of the wood will be strong. Talk to the maker!

If you are buying wood as an aspiration or an experiment then be prepared to accept where you get taken, else stick to plastic.

If you have something in mind - do your research and identify the wood that fits your purpose, intent or feeling. Select the wood and obtain a piece seasoned and ready to work. Then send it to the maker that resonates with what you want. Even then be prepared to be moved.

Wood has been our friend for as long as we had oposable thumbs. Do not treat it as a stranger!

I will soon have the ancient mariner- entrusted to me to allow. I will not part with this instrument to just anyone. If no one can convince me that they are ready to own it - it will stay in its case. No amount of money or worldly blandishment will change that.

Wood is very special stuff.

(this is not a commercial post)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Whistling Pops

Re: Wooden whistle value??

Post by Whistling Pops »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. If I didn't consider costs, would the list change?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Whistling Pops wrote:Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. If I didn't consider costs, would the list change?
Absolutely. It would include Busman whistles and any Thin Weasel
you could find on eBay.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

fearfaoin wrote:
Whistling Pops wrote:Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. If I didn't consider costs, would the list change?
Absolutely. It would include Busman whistles and any Thin Weasel
you could find on eBay.
Second for Busman! And, there are a few nefarious whistlesmiths out there that are way-hard to winlke-out (living or other)! It kind of depends on your philosophy. After financial concerns dissapear beneath the clouds - even some you once saw as "affordable" drift-up against a higher light! There are many dimensions (dement-ions?) in music! "Railway spike" springs to mind for some reason.

It all maps differently when you get free of the purely physical. ?? (can't believe I actually wrote that - perhaps it's a quote :) ) and I went on to say that you accidently bump into the whistlemaker somewhere where you were'nt looking ...? hmmmm.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

You can't go wrong with Busman, Grinter or Thin Weasel. Which you prefer is a matter of taste and the individual characteristics of the whistle you happen to be holding. A good Abell is right up there too, although they are a bit less consistent I think. That's in my experience.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

BTW:

There's a Bloodwood Thin Weasel in C for sale if you like that key.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=38720

I'd jump at it if I didn't already have a Water Weasel, a Reyburn, and a Freemen Tweaked Gen in C.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i would add greenwood to that list. i've owned three of them . . . they are marvelous. busman and weasels are excellent as well. i've owned at one time all three . . . i kept the greenwood.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

tomcat wrote:i would add greenwood to that list. i've owned three of them . . . they are marvelous. busman and weasels are excellent as well. i've owned at one time all three . . . i kept the greenwood.
Your experience is not the same as mine. I have had both the Greenwood and Weasel and would have kept the weasel if I did not like my Bleazey, Weston and Syn better. Now I have a Rose in Pink Ivory and wow! With these four I can cover nearly any base needed.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
chas

Post by chas »

If cost is no option, I think Wombat's list is good; I'd add Bleazey, Swayne, and Abell. Which one you prefer depends on what kind of sound and playing characteristics you want. I have a personal favorite, which can most certainly be gleaned from my posting history, but I wouldn't say it's the best, nor is there a best. Can you tell us some characteristics you like?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sweetheart is a sure bet. It's my first experience with an "expensive" whistle, so I may not be the best judge, but I'm a happy camper with mine! (See yesterday's post).

Now I'm thinking 'C', and am torn between the Sweetheart and something like a Black Diamond or Granite Falls --- I know, they're totally different, and I need to decide what I'm really after. :-? Well, sometimes the shopping is half the fun!