I Got my Olwell Today!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I Got my Olwell Today!

Post by Sillydill »

Well I finally got my Boxwood Olwell Rudall and I've only got one word to say: :cry: WAAAHHHH!!

I can not comfortably play this flute in tune. It's a bit flat and I'm alot flat! I guess we just weren't made for each other. :(

I think I'll go get some Jameson.
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Sell it to me!!!!! :)

Is there no tuning slide, or is it integrated somehow?

Ben
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Give yourself some time to get used to that puppy.

If after several months you still don't match, then cry.

Also, you might call the maker--he may have suggestions.

--James

P.S. That's a very stunning flute! Nice nice nice nice nice....
Last edited by peeplj on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I hd the pleasure of playing an Olwell all-boxwood Pratten a couple of weeks ago. It felt so good I've been playing all my ITM on my Olwell all-rosewood Nicholson. It has a lot more power than I remember. And, damn, it's nice to come home after a long day and pick up a 7-ounce flute.

Take care of that baby, Jordan. Patrick isn't crazy about working in boxwood, but when he does the results are absolutely breathtaking.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: I Got my Olwell Today!

Post by Jon C. »

Sillydill wrote:Well I finally got my Boxwood Olwell Rudall and I've only got one word to say: :cry: WAAAHHHH!!

I can not comfortably play this flute in tune. It's a bit flat and I'm alot flat! I guess we just weren't made for each other. :(

I think I'll go get some Jameson.
I don't think it is the flute that needs to change... :swear:
Why don't you work on your techinque, it is just a matter of adjusting YOUR technique. Like James says, try it for a while.
If that doesn't work, I have a 5 key boxwood that plays about A=450htz, perfect for you...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas

Post by chas »

Jon C. wrote: I don't think it is the flute that needs to change... :swear:
Why don't you work on your techinque, it is just a matter of adjusting YOUR technique. Like James says, try it for a while.
If that doesn't work, I have a 5 key boxwood that plays about A=450htz, perfect for you...

I missed the flat part initially. I play mine flat, too. But I'm well on my way to playing in tune. Try this:

Stand with your back against a wall. Your head against the wall too. Play for as long as you can this way. Then try to keep your spine as straight as that during your normal practice. NEVER tilt yur head forward, never bring it to the flute.

I wasn't given this exercise to play in tune, I was given it to get a stronger low end and a greater ability to give big accents. The sharper playing is just a lagniappe.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dana

Post by Dana »

chas wrote:Stand with your back against a wall. Your head against the wall too. Play for as long as you can this way. Then try to keep your spine as straight as that during your normal practice. NEVER tilt yur head forward, never bring it to the flute.

I wasn't given this exercise to play in tune, I was given it to get a stronger low end and a greater ability to give big accents. The sharper playing is just a lagniappe.
Playing this way will also improve breathing. It's much easier to get a quick, full breath when standing upright.

Dana
Denny

Post by Denny »

So would ya say that might be why I'm having so much difficulty playing in the fetal position?
:-? :oops: :lol:
Dana

Post by Dana »

H'mmmm, could be. :really:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I play sharp, even on the bottom, even on my Olwell Pratten. You guys know who to contact when you want to sell 'em. :wink:

Loren
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:I hd the pleasure of playing an Olwell all-boxwood Pratten a couple of weeks ago. It felt so good ......
Aren't you the one who said you've never gotten along with a Pratten? :lol: Was the O.P. an exception to the rule for you?

Loren
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Sillydill,

I have an Olwell Boxwood Rudall like yours (all wood/no slide) and it is sometimes a bit flat too. Or, I should say I am sometimes a bit flat on it. But I've found that if I just barely roll out the head joint more than I do on my other flutes, and give it plenty of breath support from the diaphragm, I'm in tune. Rudall's seem to require a more focused airstream than other flutes, it seems.

The advice about an upright posture is a good reminder for all of us.

Keep us posted on your Olwell experience.

Jeanie
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Just being curious: how long is Patrick Olwell's waiting time for a keyless flute and how much does it cost? And why doesn't your flute have a tuning slide?
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

chas wrote:lagniappe.
[lan-YAP, LAN-yap] Used primarily in southern Louisiana and southeast Texas, the word lagniappe refers to an "unexpected something extra". It could be an additional doughnut (as in "baker's dozen"), a free "one for the road" drink, an unanticipated tip for someone who provides a special service or possibly a complimentary dessert for a regular customer.

Wow, the things you learn on C&F.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
chas

Post by chas »

Loren wrote:
chas wrote:I hd the pleasure of playing an Olwell all-boxwood Pratten a couple of weeks ago. It felt so good ......
Aren't you the one who said you've never gotten along with a Pratten? :lol: Was the O.P. an exception to the rule for you?
I didn't play it long enough to expose my flaws. ;) It sure was light as a feather, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods