Transmission --manual or automatic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I think a friend tried to teach me manual - once. Other than that, I have only driven automatics. The only (thinly) credible excuse I have ever heard for bothering with manual is that an experienced driver can get better driving performance with a manual tranny, which is great if you are driving like an idiot on the freeway in rush-hour traffic, but otherwise unnecessary, as far as I know.

There is a very good reason why automatics represent the majority of transmissions sold in North America: they are easier to drive. That doesn't mean they are the best to drive if you're Sterling Moss, or that they aren't better/worse for wear. They are just easier to drive, and because they are made in quantity, they are less expensive than manual drive.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:..., they are less expensive than manual drive.
Not usually. Most manufacturers charge a few hundred $ more for the automatic due to the increased complexity (i.e., cost to manufacture) of the tranmission.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy

Post by missy »

jsluder wrote:
djm wrote:..., they are less expensive than manual drive.
Not usually. Most manufacturers charge a few hundred $ more for the automatic due to the increased complexity (i.e., cost to manufacture) of the tranmission.
depends on the "packages" offered. We've unfortunately started thinking about a new car - although if we can hold off for a year or two we will (got another kid beginning to drive in 6 months). Often times, if you want, say, the larger tires, or bigger engine, or leather interior, you are only going to get those with an automatic - and many, many cars don't have an option of manual anymore.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

missy wrote:... and many, many cars don't have an option of manual anymore.
Yuck. I may someday, when I'm older and less physically capable, want an automatic. But until then, give me a manual transmission.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

Points I've agreed with so far:

1. Manuals can be more fun to drive.
2. Clutches can be a pain if you have bad knees.
2. Shifting can also be a pain in stop/go traffic.
3. Manuals are not as readily available in cars such as Subarus.

I don't have a clearcut choice here, but we try to have a manual
around so all new drivers in the family get the hang of it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Manual--more control, saves brakes, more fun,
probably better gas economy. Down shifting, vroom!
Monster

Post by Monster »

chrisoff wrote:manual, because we have corners over here. you just don't get the same feeling with an automatic when you can't drop a gear coming out of the bend and tear off
Yeeeaaaahhh!! Go for it!

this is quite a bit more fun on two wheels you know!
insert uber smart comment here
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I haven't checked it in a few years, but some extended warranties for transmissions were very conditional on coverage for manual transmissions and excluded clutches...
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

emmline wrote:I don't have a clearcut choice here, but we try to have a manual
Good point. We'll probably have one of each for some time -- one for the kid to learn on, one for hear to learn to use a clutch.

Another advantage of a manual: you can kick-start them, no need for jumper cables.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

chas wrote:
emmline wrote:I don't have a clearcut choice here, but we try to have a manual
Good point. We'll probably have one of each for some time -- one for the kid to learn on, one for hear to learn to use a clutch.

Another advantage of a manual: you can kick-start them, no need for jumper cables.
Not all of them. Some of the newer manuals can't be bomb-started. My husband's Saturn carried a very clear warning not to do so.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Caj

Post by Caj »

My new car is an automatic, my previous one a manual.

I really miss the manual. There were times I cursed it, for example when I once took a wrong turn in NJ and ended up in Manhattan; or, when I took another wrong turn in San Francisco and ended up in, well, San Francisco.

Not that I dislike the automatic. It's a really smooth ride, and I love that. But I'm sort of disconnected from the act of driving. It's like I'm a passenger in a train or something.

I figure that unless something really crazy happens, my next car will be a manual.

Caj
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Redwolf wrote:I don't know where people are getting the idea that automatic transmissions are problematic (maybe European automatics are!), but I currently have two cars with automatic transmissions, and neither has ever given me a moment's trouble (both have more than 100,000 miles on the odometer). My first car was also an automatic, and had 112,000 on the odometer when I sold it, and never a bit of trouble with the tranny. With manuals, on the other hand, we've always had to replace the clutch at least once...usually more than that...during the life of the car. And, by the way, a car not starting has nothing to do with the tranny...that's going to be a starter or fuel delivery problem. If it's a matter of the car not going into gear, that's another story (often related to the shifter cable, which can break in either type of car).

What it really comes down to is how much you want to spend initially (automatics are usually more expensive up front), how you like to drive (people who prefer manuals usually prefer to have more direct control of the car's engine...they like to be able to fine tune the shifting to get the most power or economy from the engine), and whether or not you have a disability that would make shifting problematic (for example, with my arthritic left knee, it's really difficult for me to operate a clutch these days). I also recommend an automatic if you live in a seriously hilly area...it gets very tiring having to coordinate clutch, accelerator and parking brake in steep areas (and it's guaranteed to be hard on the clutch!). Manuals are also less of a good idea if you regularly drive in heavy, stop-and-go traffic, which can cause the clutch to heat up very quickly. Other than those caveats, it really comes down to personal preference.

I should add that all my automatic transmission cars have been American-made vehicles (a Lincoln, a Ford, a Chevy and a Pontiac, to be precise)...it's possible that European auto makers have never gotten the hang of making a good automatic transmission.

Redwolf
Common sense! And the automatic transmissions here are just as good.
And a message to you sports freaks, my Opel/Gm exellerates faster than
most manuals...
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

I miss driving a stick, too. I'm not quite ready to let go of my sports car days...but it's depressing to hear that you can't hardly get a Corvette with a manual trans., any more. "What a drag it is, getting old."
:wink:
missy

Post by missy »

scottielvr wrote:I miss driving a stick, too. I'm not quite ready to let go of my sports car days...but it's depressing to hear that you can't hardly get a Corvette with a manual trans., any more. "What a drag it is, getting old."
:wink:
The 'Vette Museum (and factory) is about 4 hours south of us in Bowling Green KY. I took Nate there several years ago. And the "new" one they have for you to sit in - it's an automatic. I asked the docent why, and he said they are ALL automatic unless you custom order, because (I'm quoting here, don't kill me.......) "All the 60 year old guys want automatics, they don't want a stick".

Sad...........

"When I get rubber in all four gears........"
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

lixnaw wrote:
And a message to you sports freaks, my Opel/Gm exellerates faster than
most manuals...
You willing to place a wager on that? :twisted:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown