anti-clogging substances

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

anti-clogging substances

Post by gallant_murray »

I used to use soap to to keep my whistle from clogging, but with my new Shaw that hasn't been working very well. What other anti-clogging substances have any of you used? Also, what do you usuall apply it with? I had used a heavy strip of paper, but I'm thinking about stealing one of my wife's fingernail polish brushes :D . I don't think the paper applied the soap evenly. Thanks for any tips.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Ecover washing up liquid. A fairly strong solution.

Just dip the whistle end into the solution and shake out the excess. Do this a few times to make sure it's well coated.

?
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Here's a similar thread, with many ideas:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=36673

Duponol seems to be a handy product.
regor

Post by regor »

Anyone ever tried products such those available to keep car windshield clear of rain (Rain Dance and such)?

What's the take on the use of these subtances (including Duponol) toxicity?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have good results with duponol. The directions say to tape the end and pour it in then let it sit. Remove the tape and let it dry. That was a nuisance method. Now I just apply it with a strip of thin cardboard, and let it dry.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tommy wrote:I have good results with duponol. The directions say to tape the end and pour it in then let it sit. Remove the tape and let it dry. That was a nuisance method. Now I just apply it with a strip of thin cardboard, and let it dry.
I hold the whistle vertically with my finger over the mouthpiece. I use the dropper of the Duponol bottle to dribble some of the liquid into the window end of the windway, hold it there for a couple of seconds, then remove my finger. Done.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

Screeeech!!! wrote:Just dip the whistle end into the solution and shake out the excess.
Is this OK to do to wood fipple whistles?
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I can't say with certainty that it's fine for ALL wooden fipple blocks, because some makers treat their blocks with various substances, but it should be fine on most instruments, as recorder makers have offered the stuff for use on their instruments for years.

Loren
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

I don't know about wooden fipples, but with my MellowDog, I take the fipple off and apply some Dawn diswashing detergent with a wet QTip - a small drop on the QTip does the trick. Applying it only to the fipple blade seems to prevent clogging.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yup, dish detergent is just about as good, perhaps as good. No need to buy the duponol really. I'd dilute the dish soap a bit though, rather than using it straight - you'll get essentially the same effect, with less foaming at the mouth :lol:

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whoops, almost forgot, I'd apply it to the entire windway as well, using a bit of business card soaked in the dish detergent solution, as has been mentioned before. Also touch the bevel, if there is one, at the end of the windway, just where the air exits into the window, as this is were the moisture goes, and then needs to roll off.

Loren
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Duponol is also known as "sodium lauryl sulfate" and is a common ingredient in toothpaste, where it is known to cause canker sores. The materials data sheet on it is fairly alarming:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s3670.htm

but given its use in toothpaste one presumes that someone in the FDA thinks it is fairly safe.

If you suffer from canker sores (not cold sores from herpes) as I do, I would stay away from this stuff.

Personally, I use "Jet-Dry" to help with clogging problems.

-- Scott
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, I haven't seen the MDS on Jet-Dry components. In all seriousness, would you happen to have a copy of any Scott? I'm always interested in anything along these lines, since it affects my work as an instrument maker/restorer.

Best,

Loren
Baxter

SLS

Post by Baxter »

Sodium lauryl sulfate is a surfactant used widely in soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and whatnot. I don't know of any actual evidence that it is harmful when used that way, beyond the sting from getting shampoo in your eyes. I'd be interested to see the research relating SLS to canker sores. MSDS sheets are geared towards people who work with large amounts of substances in raw form - I wouldn't want to breath 100% SLS powder, no. Dish soap and Jet Dry are just other surfactants, which I would be willing to bet is why they also work for people.

Anyway, now I will try some dish soap on my clogging whistles, since dish soap is the one of these items I have closest to hand.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Loren wrote:Yup, dish detergent is just about as good, perhaps as good. No need to buy the duponol really. I'd dilute the dish soap a bit though, rather than using it straight - you'll get essentially the same effect, with less foaming at the mouth :lol:

Loren
I use duponoly primarily because it has no odor or taste. With commercial detergents, I can usually taste them or smell them (or in the case of Jet Dry, it makes my tongue numb).

Duponol's pretty cheap..for $2.00, I got a bottle that has lasted me over a year.