I hate to call them whistles...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:i get people calling it "that flutey thing" or "that anorexic recorder." once they hear it though, they still don't remember the name, but they do remember the sound. i'm a rather frugal person to start with so i don't mind in the least calling it a pennywhistle.
I once had someone ask about my trad flute, "That's some kind of penny whistle, right?" I was gobsmacked: he knew what a penny whistle was.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:
mutepointe wrote:i get people calling it "that flutey thing" or "that anorexic recorder." once they hear it though, they still don't remember the name, but they do remember the sound. i'm a rather frugal person to start with so i don't mind in the least calling it a pennywhistle.
I once had someone ask about my trad flute, "That's some kind of penny whistle, right?" I was gobsmacked: he knew what a penny whistle was.
:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Congratulations wrote:Then I get to correct them and tell them I play IRISH whistle, at which point they ask me if I'm Irish, and I say "No," and then their interest runs out and they mention how hot it's been lately.
Yeah, what's up w/ that? I say to my coworkers "I'm leaving for session.
Time to play some Irish music!", and they reply, "I didn't know you
were Irish." *sigh*

I play Djembe too, but no one's ever mistaken me for an African, or
even an African American.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Fiddles and violins are the same instrument with the same strings, though violinists and fiddlers might choose specific strings to attain a certain result (just as their playing technique might be different as well).
Some fiddlers have the bridge flattened a bit so they can play 2 or 3 notes at the same time easier.

Yes, leaving the rosin on the instrument is done in some fiddle communities. The custom will trash the finish and possibly alter the sound of the instrument. Some fiddlers like that.

Anymore questions about fiddle versus violin would probably best be answered by community over on that other chiff list.
walrii

Post by walrii »

[quote="Nanohedron]I once had someone ask about my trad flute, "That's some kind of penny whistle, right?" I was gobsmacked: he knew what a penny whistle was.[/quote]

I had a soprano recorder and a high D whistle in my PVC cases going through security at the airport (these PVC cases look a bit like pipe bombs at first glance). The TSA guy on the x-ray looked over at me an said "Nice recorder and Irish whistle" and waved me through. I was flabbergasted - he recognized both the recorder AND the whistle. On the return trip, I stopped to chat. He was raised in Boston in the Irish community with sessions in the kitchen every weekend.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I call it a "doodly-doo". It gives me more time to finish my Guinness while people are trying to figure out what the actual name of the instrument is.....
pop

Post by pop »

My grandad used to call them guinness straws, :)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

pop wrote:My grandad used to call them guinness straws, :)
:lol:

Okay, that's the best ever!

Loren
greg

Post by greg »

i tried calling it a flageolet and was imediately offered beano to cure my flageolents
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

I´m proud to be a tin whistler!

I think we have to accept that the name of the instrument will be "tin whistle" or "whistle" for ever. Sure, you meet a lot of ignorant people that say things like: "why don´t you play a REAL instrument instead?". But will it become better if we begin to call a tin whistle, for example, The Resikan Flute? Or something else. The connotations will be the same.

There has always been a tendency toward changeing name on inferior brands or undesired social issues. But changing a name won´t change the facts. Gay people realized this 30 years ago when they started to call themself gay. The word "gay" has since then gone from beeing an abusive word to a common everyday denomination for a homosexual person.

So if we just stick to the word Tin Whistle, or just Whistle, and ignore all those ignorant comments, and are just proud and happy to play the tin whisle, everything will work out just fine! I don´t think Mary Bergin or James Galway are ashame of playing the "tin whistle"?!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

falkbeer wrote:I don´t think Mary Bergin or James Galway are ashamed of playing the "tin whistle"?!
Good point!
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

What about "Folk Whistle"

Could be something completely different, but I havent heard of it before.
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

Seems to me that a whistle is really a flute. Here is one definition for flute...

flute Pronunciation (flt)
n.
1. Music
a. A high-pitched woodwind instrument consisting of a slender tube closed at one end with keys and finger holes on the side and an opening near the closed end across which the breath is blown. Also called transverse flute.
b. Any of various similar reedless woodwind instruments, such as the recorder.
c. An organ stop whose flue pipe produces a flutelike tone.
a. Architecture A long, usually rounded groove incised as a decorative motif on the shaft of a column, for example.
b. A similar groove or furrow, as in a pleated ruffle of cloth or on a piece of furniture.
3. A tall narrow wineglass, often used for champagne.

Could my lack of understanding of the "flute" community get me in trouble yet again...

WTA
Last edited by William T. Anderson on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Eddie wrote:What about "Folk Whistle"

Could be something completely different, but I havent heard of it before.
I think that Generation has dubbed its green topped line as folk whistles.
Reasonable person
Walden
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

To me a whistle is something to master, while a flute is something to aspire to. It has something to do with speach and the mouth.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com