Cheap hygrometers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cheap hygrometers

Post by Terry McGee »

Just on impulse, I added a cheap hygrometer to an order I made recently on my tools and machines supply company. It's one of those pretty little meters sold as "fit-ups" - thermometers, hygrometers, barometers to set into lumps of wood to sell at markets etc. I was interested to see how good or bad they were - could they be useful for fluteplayers wanting to maintain the humidity of their flutes within safe limits.

I was a bit surprised to see, when it arrived, it indicated about 70%. Hmmm, must be damp in Brisbane, I thought. Hours later and it's still resolutely maintaining a reading of 70%, despite sitting next to my extremely expensive guaranteed-to-2%-accurate lab meter which reported just under 40%. Days later, they still maintained the standoff. Oh well, what can you expect in a cheap meter? It would be insisting all was well while flutes cracked around it!

With nothing to lose, I pried the back off to see if the thing was in any way adjustable, and sure enough, the end of the sensor coil is secured to a bent metal plate which can be rotated to adjust the reading. A little blob of soft glue had been added to lock the current setting. That flicked off with a scalpel, leaving the plate easy to move. I set it to read the same as the lab meter and they now seem to track well together.

So, moral of the story?

Don't trust a cheap hygrometer - check it. That's as easy as leaving it outside on the windowsill while you watch the weather report on the TV news. When they give the current humidity, check the meter.

Secondly, if it's wrong, don't just chuck it in the bin - pop the back off and see if it can be adjusted.

Terry
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

The ones I have ($2 a pop on EBay) have a curved slot in the back, thru which you can move the stop to calibrate the scale.

Great for putting in the zip-lock bag along w/ various pieces of prime firewood!
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

For a little over $6 you can purchase a little hygrometer/thermometer thingy at Walmart. Works very well.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I had four ~$10 hygrometers that all read about the same. Then I bought three digital ones (which I thought had remote sensors to put in my tupperwares, but which dont). Lo and behold, just as Terry said, the four were all reading~55-60% while the good ones were reading ~40%. Two of the cheapies were adjustable, two not.

I keep meaning to bring some dessicant home to test them at 0%. I've tested them at 100%, and they're accurate there. Another fixed point, and I should know whether they really do work as well as the company says.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Hi Terry,

I use one of the little digital ones that can record the day's high and low temps and humidity -- if one remembers to reset it. Cost about $28.

Do you ever use a moisture meter on your wood? I use something called a "Mini-Ligno". I use it mostly to monitor the changes in humidity of my wood supply between dry times and wet times - as well as to test pieces that seem somewhat wet. Usually my wood stays around 8-9% minimum to 12-14% maximum, depending upon the season.

I know luthiers making stringed instruments want their wood drier (5%) for varnishing purposes but for wind instruments that are getting moisture saturated air blown into them, that degree of dryness seems risky. Curious what your thoughts are.

Cheers!
Casey
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

This is a simple and precise way to calibrate a hygrometer: take a small container like a bottle cap, and fill it with salt. Make the salt damp with water (don't soak the salt completely). Place the wet salt and your hygrometer in a ziploc bag, and leave for 8 hours. Your hygrometer should read 75%.

The things you learn from being a cigar smoker...
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Ro3b wrote:This is a simple and precise way to calibrate a hygrometer: take a small container like a bottle cap, and fill it with salt. Make the salt damp with water (don't soak the salt completely). Place the wet salt and your hygrometer in a ziploc bag, and leave for 8 hours. Your hygrometer should read 75%.

The things you learn from being a cigar smoker...
This is a much better way to go than trying for 0% or 100%, both of which are tough to do properly.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:o :o :o

Good to know! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cathy Wilde wrote::o :o :o

Good to know! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Uhm, does this mean that you're using a cheap hygrometer for those wonderful flutes, Cat? :boggle:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Well, I actually have one $25 model .... for the room they're in ... :oops:

The hygrometer in the tote is one of those little Humidistat ones. It seems to work (i.e., it actually moves, unlike Terry's), but ....
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dcopley

Re: Cheap hygrometers

Post by dcopley »

Terry McGee wrote: Don't trust a cheap hygrometer - check it. That's as easy as leaving it outside on the windowsill while you watch the weather report on the TV news. When they give the current humidity, check the meter.

Secondly, if it's wrong, don't just chuck it in the bin - pop the back off and see if it can be adjusted.

Terry
I totally agree. I've been buying them in batches from a humidor supply company and include one in the case with each flute I ship out. When I get a box of 50 hygrometers there is often a variation in readings from 20% to 70%. I calibrate them against an Oregon Scientific digital hygrometer which reads accurately on the wet salt test that was mentioned by ro3b. We set up a little assembly line for the calibration, and I pay my kids 50 cents per unit for disassembly and re-assembly.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Man you guys are rich if’n ya can buy one.
I just make one and test it against my standard.

PS I would like to add that the wet bulb technique may be a cheap (and foolproof????) way to calibrate a hydrometer if a fan is used on the wet bulb like a Sling psychrometer.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

My hygrometer (from Germany) said that if checking was needed - wrap it in a damp towel for a while, then the reading should be 100%. eBAY has tons of hygrometers:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... hygrometer
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Cheap hygrometers

Post by Jon C. »

dcopley wrote: We set up a little assembly line for the calibration, and I pay my kids 50 cents per unit for disassembly and re-assembly.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Better call the Child Protection people! I bet you have them reaming flutes too! :lol:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon