I hate to call them whistles...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Jon-M wrote:I like calling it a whistle; it's a simple, basic, nonpretentious name for a simple, basic instrument that is used primarily for playing peasant music. And it's no accident that in a folk context people use the term "fiddle" rather than violin; it distinguishes the context: high culture versus folk culture--both extremely valuable.
Finally, if you go back and look at your McCullough tutors, you'll find that the word "whistle" has its own fairly venerable history.
I think fiddles and violins have the same body but differant strings.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: I hate to call them whistles...

Post by Cynth »

alpacama wrote:Thank you Tommy for clearing that up for me :)
I was just about to post and ask that very question, since I received my Feadog yesterday.
But seriously, folks (ok not too seriously) how do you pronounce Feadog? :-?

Thanks-
**Tina
:lol: That question comes up a lot. Here is an old post in which the head of the company explains how to say it:

walrii wrote:I decided to go straight to the horse's mouth, so I emailed Feadog from thier website and got the following reply:
Dear John,

Thank you for your enquiry. I am delighted you are enjoying playing the Feadóg.
Your enquiry isn't the first I have had with regards to the pronunciation of Feadóg. The best explanation I have is as follows: I was discussing this with a colleague and we have different ways of pronouncing it because I'm from Donegal and he is from Dublin!! The best we can come up with is: Fah-doh-g (Fah, as in "do, re, me, fah, so, etc") Doh (Doh as in Homer Simpson "Doh!" or dough used in a cake) G (G-irl): "Fah-doh-g" and it is the Irish for "whistle". I hope this helps!

If there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me. Remember to keep an eye out for news and product developments on our website, http://www.feadog.ie!

Kind Regards
Paul McCarron
Feadóg "Original Irish Whistle"
Tel: +353 1 456 9533
Fax: +353 1 456 9535
E-mail: whistles@feadog.ie

Paul continues to provide quick service - I got the reply less than 24 hours after sending him my question.

I guess language is the same all over - i.e. it ain't the same. Don't get me started on "pecan."
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... on&start=0
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
alpacama

I hate to call them whistles...

Post by alpacama »

Hi Cynth-
Thanks for clearing that up!
I'm always learning something new here :)
Now, if I can figure out why my reply was posted twice... sorry about that, I must have hit the wrong button :oops:

**Tina
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It looks like it was Chaucer who wrote:A pype hyghte Fistula...
It just occurred to me that "fistula" and "whistle" look to be be related words, like "fiddle" and "viol", or "guitar" and "cittern".

Don't know if I'll call it a fistula. That's one of the more hilarious words in the language to me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

Tommy wrote:I think fiddles and violins have the same body but differant strings.
Same body, different spirit.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

WTA, don't worry about callin' 'em "whistles". They're of an ancient instrument line going back to prehistory, no matter what you call 'em. Their nobility has kept them with us to this day.

Simple of construction; not so simple to play well. Those who'd consider them toys just need a little kind guidance. If they don't get it then, what can you do but keep playing, after all?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

emmline wrote:
Tommy wrote:I think fiddles and violins have the same body but differant strings.
I think, if I read correctly once, that fiddles for Irish music don't have the rich bottom end that classical violins have. This may be partly the strings and partly the body.

A super smart fiddle person (or Bloomfield) can correct me if I'm wrong.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

FJohnSharp wrote:
emmline wrote:
I think, if I read correctly once, that fiddles for Irish music don't have the rich bottom end that classical violins have. This may be partly the strings and partly the body.

Some fiddlers have a slight difference in the shape of the bridge top. Also, many don't clean off the rosin from the body as it contributes to a thinner tone. I understand rosin is bad for the finish, though.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Nanohedron wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:
emmline wrote: Same body, different spirit.

Some fiddlers have a slight difference in the shape of the bridge top. Also, many don't clean off the rosin from the body as it contributes to a thinner tone. I understand rosin is bad for the finish, though.

Is there a fiddler in the house? :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

daleophone
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

LOL! :D

WTA
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

In both Spanish and French it's an "Irish Flute". I have a guitar playing friend who calls it an Irish pipe, which works because it's singular and therefore not to be confused with the pipes.
De Danann were on the radio once and called it "flute". I guess they didn't have the time or inclination to explain.
I call it a whistle when speaking to those who know, and Irish flute when speaking with the un-initiated.
Short bio: 1952-
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tommy wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote: I think, if I read correctly once, that fiddles for Irish music don't have the rich bottom end that classical violins have. This may be partly the strings and partly the body.

Is there a fiddler in the house? :)
For what it's worth, a fiddler told me that stuff. There was one fiddler who came to a session who announced that she'd just cleaned her fiddle, and another fiddler said to her, "But that way you get rid of all the whiskey and vomit! That's no good at all." :D
Last edited by Nanohedron on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i get people calling it "that flutey thing" or "that anorexic recorder." once they hear it though, they still don't remember the name, but they do remember the sound. i'm a rather frugal person to start with so i don't mind in the least calling it a pennywhistle.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I love telling people I play whistle, because they always go, "Oh, like this?" and start doing the Andy Griffith theme.

I mean, literally, every time. It must be because I live in the South.

Then I get to correct them and tell them I play IRISH whistle, at which point they ask me if I'm Irish, and I say "No," and then their interest runs out and they mention how hot it's been lately.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up