Time travellers pick your event !!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Time travellers pick your event !!

Post by rorybbellows »

Im a big Jimi Hendrix fan and I,ve been watching over and over again the DVD of his set at the wood stock festival ,(Star spangled banner and all that ) and I,m totally blown away with it ,I would have loved to have been there !!

If you had the one off opportunity to be present at some event in history ,recent or long in the past what would you choose ???

RORY
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Great question! A number of things come to mind... the first one I thought of was being there to see the Berlin Wall come down. A friend, who'd lived in the US since his teens but who was born in East Berlin, was there; the poignant way he described the events, the spirit of the people as they took that wall down, brought tears to my eyes.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

General Post Office, Dublin, Easter 1916.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:General Post Office, Dublin, Easter 1916.

Slan,
D.
Everett WA Novemberhttp://www.epls.org/nw/emassacre.htm1916
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

If I could revisit an event in my own history it would be a Jazz at the Philharmonic concert from the 1950s.

Any event history is much more complicated. Maybe the wedding at Cana. I hear there was a lot of good wine.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Might as well pick big. I'd have liked to be standing there when Christ ascended into heaven. Then, I'd know for sure.

My mother's uncle was walking down the street, minding his own business, when the shooting started at the GPO. He ducked in to avoid being shot. He was arrested and released and got a small pension from the Irish government for the rest of his life because of it.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

8th december 1980, outside Dakota building New York. id try to interrupt a certain Mr Chapman and maybe spook him!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

May 7, 2005, 10:00pm EDT (08 May 2005 02:00:00 UTC)
The Time Traveler convention.

Of course, we already know I didn't go :(

http://web.mit.edu/adorai/timetraveler/
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have no idea where I'd like to be. At the splitting of the atom, in Rutherford's lab when he discovered the nucleus, at Hendrix's first show in London, in Fenway Park for Carlton Fisk's famous home run or at the final-day doubleheader when Ted Williams raised his average from .401 to .406, at Kitty Hawk for the Wrights' first flight, in Mission Control for the moon landing, in the audience for Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech, at the drafting of the Bill of Rights. . .

It just goes on and on. I might be able to pick one event from one category, but how do you compare a scientific discovery to a political event or love of a baseball team to love of a musician?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My mother's house burned down when she was five years old. It has haunted the rest of her life since.

If I could, I would go back and stop the roof of the house from catching fire from the fireplace cinders that night.

Of course, you never know: I might be wishing myself out of existence with this one.

--James
djm

Post by djm »

Definitely I want to be there for the time I won the first place prize in the big Lotto.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

At the wedding of Joseph Mary Plunkett and Grace Gifford; Kilmainham Jail, May 4th, 1916
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

djm wrote:Definitely I want to be there for the time I won the first place prize in the big Lotto.

djm
In the same vein, I just want to be in my living room watching TV when they announce the Powerball numbers next Wednesday night.
Then I can come back and buy the winning ticket!
:lol:
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Although I too am a big Hendrix fan I can't say I'd pick seeing him for a trip back in time. There's just too much to pick from as stated in an earlier post.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Flying Cement

Post by Flying Cement »

For me, I would have to choose the Resurrection of Jesus.
It doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you