Newer than a newbie

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newer than a newbie

Post by Trip- »

Hey all...

I'm into the world of wind instruments on because of the whistles (yay!)...
Now, a friend has showed me his concert silver flute - I tried to make a sound, I tried to make a melody - and I got scared. I decided I'm never going to touch a flute again.

But now I see there are less scary flutes - irish flutes... folk flutes...

How much different would you describe a flute from a high/low whistle - regarding the playing techniques? I think I might want to try one of those - just because the sound is awesome. And if you compare that sound to the silver flute, how do they differ really? curiosity hungers me...

Thanks alot,
Philip
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Newer than a newbie

Post by Jon C. »

Trip- wrote:Hey all...

Now, a friend has showed me his concert silver flute - I tried to make a sound, I tried to make a melody - and I got scared. I decided I'm never going to touch a flute again.

How much different would you describe a flute from a high/low whistle - regarding the playing techniques? I think I might want to try one of those - just because the sound is awesome. And if you compare that sound to the silver flute, how do they differ really? curiosity hungers me...

Thanks alot,
Philip
Hi Philip,
Welcome!
So you are not scared of a Irish flute? You should be... :moreevil:
As far as the similarities between whistle and flute, the fingering is about the same, but that is where the similarity ends. the main learning curve, is developing the blowing technique, which you should have down in a couple of years... But go for it! Get a nice Casey Burns folk flute, or a Tipple flute and go at it!
Take care,
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

For me, silver/Boehm flute and the conical/Irish flute are like night and day. I'd been playing Irish flute for a year before I could get a sound out of the Boehm flute (I'd tried several times over 3 decades). I realize I'm not typical, but I'm not exaggerating.

As for the difference from whistle, it's also quite significant. If you're going to play the same type of music, you have a leg up because you're familiar with the tunes. There's some benefit to knowing the fingerings and ornaments, but I'm not sure how much easier it is to switch from the whistle to the flute than, say, from fiddle or box. There's a lot more to a flute than there is to a whistle. There's the whole getting a sound out of the thing. Then there's getting a GOOD sound. Then there's getting a good sound and not passing out from hyperventilating. And that's just the first few weeks/months or even year or two. After that comes the hard part. The flute is capable of a much greater range of sounds and of conveying a much greater range of emotions than the whistle. So, even after you've developed a good embouchure, there's a lot more to learning the flute.

But it's worth it. I'm with Jon, get yourself a (relatively) inexpensive flute, noodle on it for awhile, then take a couple of lessons from a good teacher. It's an amazing feeling to make music with a flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

I tell you i can't play whistles at all. But i sure can play flute!
If the flute's your instrument, it's your instrument, 'nuf said.
daiv

Re: Newer than a newbie

Post by daiv »

Trip- wrote:Hey all...

Thanks alot,
Philip
i dont know that an irish flute is easier, but not necessarily harder. the great thing about them, is that a good irish flute costs less than a good silver flute. the best irish flutes cost less than the best silver flutes; i've played a wooden flute that played easier than any silver flute i've ever tried. if you feel a silver flute isnt for you, go with everyone's recommendations, and give simple system a try!

playing any flute involves a lot of puffing and struggilng to get a sound for the first few days. do yourself a favor, dont expect it to be a piece of cake! its only easy if you anticipate it will take time, and dont rush things.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I've never even held a flute, but I read an explanation of something that was helpful to me.

On a whistle, the mouthpiece (place you blow into) accurately guides the stream of air from your mouth so that it hits the edge of the blade that splits the air stream just right. The column of air is split and the column of air starts vibrating and sound is created.

On a flute, you yourself have to aim the air stream just exactly right across the edge of the blade (the edge of that hole you blow across) so that the air stream is split and the vibrations start. So you are in charge of more when you play the flute. And probably you can do more things with the air stream, although I don't really know about that.

I might not have understood or remembered this right, so please correct me if I have said something that is not correct.

Not at all trying to discourage you from playing the flute. Just thought this was a neat way of thinking about one of the differences from the whistle.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i found the transition from irish whistle to flute a heck of a lot easy than transitioning to the silver flute. i learned how to play the whistle first. it took me 2 months to get over making the screechers when i picked up the flute a year later, it took me 2 months to get an okay embrochure going that i could play more than one verse of a song without passing out. learn to play the irish flute, it sure beats the alternative.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Cynth wrote: On a whistle, the mouthpiece (place you blow into) accurately guides the stream of air from your mouth so that it hits the edge of the blade that splits the air stream just right. The column of air is split and the column of air starts vibrating and sound is created.

On a flute, you yourself have to aim the air stream just exactly right across the edge of the blade (the edge of that hole you blow across) so that the air stream is split and the vibrations start. So you are in charge of more when you play the flute. And probably you can do more things with the air stream, although I don't really know about that.
That is how I always thought of playing Flute, but it is way easier said than done. Bottom line: it takes work, but it is worth it.
bradster

Post by bradster »

Hi , on this subject , Ive recently started on Irish flute.
( i got a Tipple , thanks Doug )
Some times I can get a great sound out of it so I know the flute is good but more often than not I cant!
Im going note by note.
I find that when I can get one note , that sometimes I cant get the next one or a few higher or lower.
Is a different effort required for each note?

I was also wondering ,would lessons from a classical / silver flute player be bad news as I only want to play Irish music?
The only reason I would take lessons from a classical teacher is that I cant seem to find any Irish flute teachers in Sydney.
If anyone knows of any please pass on any info,

thanks!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Bradster, I think I remember seeing someone on thesession.org that taught Irish Flute in Sydney, I will go look for them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Unseen122 wrote:
Cynth wrote: On a whistle, the mouthpiece (place you blow into) accurately guides the stream of air from your mouth so that it hits the edge of the blade that splits the air stream just right. The column of air is split and the column of air starts vibrating and sound is created.

That is how I always thought of playing Flute, but it is way easier said than done.
:lol: Believe me, I have no doubt about that! I can't even play the whistle. It was just an explanation of a physical difference, not meant to make it sound easy. I read things in this forum quite often so I've seen how much trouble people have at the beginning.
Unseen122 wrote: Bottom line: it takes work, but it is worth it.
I believe that too. Pretty much like all really good things, you take out of it according to the measure you put in.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Don't let the blowing thing scare you off from flutes. I could not get a squeek out of a flute when I began trying. Now I play flute every Sunday in church and everyone says they love it. It's just a technique to master, and you won't get it in one ot two tries...it will take a little while, just like memorizing the fingering positions on a violin. I find Boehm flutes to be very powerful, but the Irish flutes are much more expressive, being capable of really good lifts/taps as well as great slurs without all that mucking about on the keys.
Dave
daiv

Post by daiv »

bradster wrote:Hi , on this subject , Ive recently started on Irish flute.
( i got a Tipple , thanks Doug )
Some times I can get a great sound out of it so I know the flute is good but more often than not I cant!
Im going note by note.
I find that when I can get one note , that sometimes I cant get the next one or a few higher or lower.
Is a different effort required for each note?

I was also wondering ,would lessons from a classical / silver flute player be bad news as I only want to play Irish music?
The only reason I would take lessons from a classical teacher is that I cant seem to find any Irish flute teachers in Sydney.
If anyone knows of any please pass on any info,

thanks!
at first there is a different effort for each note. now, i can hit just about any note without changing anything, though usually i have a different effort for F to low B (silver flutes can have a low B), then G to c, d to g, then a to d'. this is not a blanket rule, because like i said, sometimes i hit every note the same, and sometimes i even break it down within each of my general series.

how you hit each note, depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the note, how long it is, whether or not you are ornamenting / tongueing it, as well as how in tune you want it to be.

by all means, dont feel bad because your embouchure changes a lot.

lessons from a classical player would not be bad news. it would be preferable for irish music to get an irish teacher, because they would know more about irish technique, and irish flutes in general. a lesson or two with a classical teacher would definitely be helpful, especially until you find an irish player.
Dave Parkhurst wrote:Don't let the blowing thing scare you off from flutes. I could not get a squeek out of a flute when I began trying. Now I play flute every Sunday in church and everyone says they love it. It's just a technique to master, and you won't get it in one ot two tries...it will take a little while, just like memorizing the fingering positions on a violin. I find Boehm flutes to be very powerful, but the Irish flutes are much more expressive, being capable of really good lifts/taps as well as great slurs without all that mucking about on the keys.
Dave
i wouldnt say that joanie madden is mucking around on her keys! silver flutes can cut/lift and tap just the same as irish flutes. the gliss on the silver flute isnt as good as on the irish one, though. expressive.... well, i think that is an unfair distinction. you can say you prefer the tone of the wooden flute, which has nothing to do with expression. i would say they are equally capable of expression.

i'm glad to hear that everyone loves your playing in church! its very fun to play up in front of an audience, especially one that is so receptive and appreciative.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Folks - I was sure I'd get so much good info from you :)
Thanks a billion!

the keys... that's what I was afraid of - the keys! Me likes the holes...

I might be looking into the Folk Flute thing - seems kinda nice.
But what about those 2 holes at the end? They set the scale ?

And another thought, if there's a possibilty to make a 'whistle' but with the flute mouthpiece? it'll be like a broken flute kinda...?
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Trip- wrote: I might be looking into the Folk Flute thing - seems kinda nice.
But what about those 2 holes at the end? They set the scale ?
Not all flutes have these. The Folk Flute doesn't.
Trip- wrote: And another thought, if there's a possibilty to make a 'whistle' but with the flute mouthpiece? it'll be like a broken flute kinda...?
Yes, it's called a keyless Irish flute! Pretty much what the Folk Flute is, a low D whsitle with a sideblown embouchure instead of a fipple.

PS I have been playing the flute for about 12 months. I don't play whistle (haven't really tried). It takes weeks, months even to get a decent tune out of a flute, whereas almost anyone can be playing a tune within hours on a whistle. So long as you are patient, you will find you gradually pick up the skills.

PPS I picked up my daughter's Boehm flute after about 6 months on the Irish flute, and was surprised how easy it is to blow. It was easy to control the embouchure to get three octaves with very litlle effort. I didn't understand the fingering at all, but that would not take long. If I wanted to be able to play equally well in all keys, I would probably choose the Boehm, because the key mechanism seems to take less effort than the simple system flute (ie the Irish wooden flutes). By that I mean, the notes in D and G are easy on the simple system, but more pressure is needed to open the keys for the other notes (Bb, Eb, G# etc) than is required on Boehm. As said, I am a beginner, and no expert on flutes, but I can see why the Boehm eventually won the race to be the standard flute for classical music.