A note from Dale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

jim stone wrote:You are daft to do this for free.
Free? FREE?!?

Dale, is Jim correct? We're doing this for... for... free? Dangit, I'm always the last to find these things out.... of course, that would explain the rather long amount of time it has been since I have been paid....
Denny

Post by Denny »

hopefully they're too daft to unionize... :wink:
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, my! I MISSED ALL THIS????? When? What happened?
Oh, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who missed it. My dad went in the hospital last week so I haven't been paying much attention to the boards. Drat, I don't usually participate, but I love to watch a mess unfold....
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I would suppose that moderating this board is
a nearly full-time job, and you get to deal with
weirdos like me, and you have to make all
sorts of decisions where lots of folks will
be mad at you no matter what you do.
And then there are the occasions where
you bounce somebody, or delete someone's
thread or post, and there are lengthy rebellions,
sometimes dozens of posts explaining why
you are a bigoted tyrant without respect
for freedom of speech, imposing your own
hurt feelings while pretending to moderate.

No sane individual would do this for free.
On the other hand no crazy individual could
do it so well. Tis a puzzlement.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

jim stone wrote:No sane individual would do this for free.
On the other hand no crazy individual could
do it so well. Tis a puzzlement.
Jim says it all, Dale. Fret no more...until the next time of course... :D

Cheers

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Personally, I'd prefer more moderation from here on out, rather than the same, or less. Some might think that's odd, coming from me, (at least those who've known me around here for the last 8 years or so), so let me explain:

Just about the only things that makes me lose my cool here these days are A) when I do extensive self editing to keep my posts civilized (often not posting at all to do so), only to have some other joker get away with taking digs (often quite sugar coated, but insults none the less), and getting away with, and B) When some people are allowed to consistently break or bend the rules that others consistently follow. A good example is the commercial posting rules, which one or more people consitently ignore, or find a way "around". I know darn well I'm not the only one irritated by this.

I hate to say it Dale, because I know you already go above and beyond, but you are correct, this forum is past the small community, warm and fuzzy phase, and thus requires significant, and even handed moderation from here on out. It also has reached a point where a classified section is called for - see the classified section on www.mandolincafe.com for one that works quite well - and a hard line requiring commercial posters to stick to the rules.

Obviously more moderators are needed to ease your burden in this respect (and no, I'm not suggestion I be one.) Again, a good working example is mando cafe, where there are specific moderators for specific forums, a model that works quite well.

I realize that I will have to tell you all of this another dozen times over the next several years before you come around to my view point on these issues Dale, but hey, how long did I have to lobby for the pub? :wink:

Loren
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Loren wrote: I realize that I will have to tell you all of this another dozen times over the next several years before you come around to my view point on these issues :wink:

Loren
Let's go ahead and get together on a date. Shall we say oh...no, wait, that won't work for me....How about 2012?

Dale :wink:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Loren wrote:Personally, I'd prefer more moderation from here on out, rather than the same, or less. Some might think that's odd, coming from me, (at least those who've known me around here for the last 8 years or so), so let me explain:

Just about the only things that makes me lose my cool here these days are A) when I do extensive self editing to keep my posts civilized (often not posting at all to do so), only to have some other joker get away with taking digs (often quite sugar coated, but insults none the less), and getting away with, and B) When some people are allowed to consistently break or bend the rules that others consistently follow. A good example is the commercial posting rules, which one or more people consitently ignore, or find a way "around". I know darn well I'm not the only one irritated by this.

I hate to say it Dale, because I know you already go above and beyond, but you are correct, this forum is past the small community, warm and fuzzy phase, and thus requires significant, and even handed moderation from here on out. It also has reached a point where a classified section is called for - see the classified section on www.mandolincafe.com for one that works quite well - and a hard line requiring commercial posters to stick to the rules.

Obviously more moderators are needed to ease your burden in this respect (and no, I'm not suggestion I be one.) Again, a good working example is mando cafe, where there are specific moderators for specific forums, a model that works quite well.

I realize that I will have to tell you all of this another dozen times over the next several years before you come around to my view point on these issues Dale, but hey, how long did I have to lobby for the pub? :wink:

Loren
You've always had very strong opinions about commercial posts, Loren, and I respect them. And, right you are, you're not the only one irritated by the ones who find clever ways around the rules.

But, I do think you represent one end of the spectrum of views about this. I do hear from people who think that some of the information they get from posts that are somewhat commercial is worthwhile.

Thanks. Your thoughts appreciated as always.

Dale

P.S. I think we are going to have to have new policy that says that moderators are not going to explain their actions to those who have been moderated. I'm not sure, but I suspect more of my time is taken up with dealing with the aftermath of moderator acts that the moderation proper. You know, "what happened to that thread?" That kind of thing. :)
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dale wrote:You've always had very strong opinions about commercial posts, Loren, and I respect them. And, right you are, you're not the only one irritated by the ones who find clever ways around the rules.

But, I do think you represent one end of the spectrum of views about this. I do hear from people who think that some of the information they get from posts that are somewhat commercial is worthwhile.
Fair enough. I'm about to become a commercial poster myself, so let's just see how well I learn to play the game :twisted:

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dale wrote: P.S. I think we are going to have to have new policy that says that moderators are not going to explain their actions to those who have been moderated. I'm not sure, but I suspect more of my time is taken up with dealing with the aftermath of moderator acts that the moderation proper. You know, "what happened to that thread?" That kind of thing. :)
You're prerogative, of course, however I suggest that at least some sort of pulic notice is given, so that folks know and understand where the boundaries are, since "civility" is not so easily codified in a FAQ.

I look forward to seeing how it all plays out, although I suspect I'll be too busy to be much in the fray.

As always my friend, you have my respect and support Dale.

Loren
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Oh well, I've missed it all too. That just goes to show that something always happens when I get to involved with regular living stuff.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Dale wrote: At this point, I can only offer a few suggestions. . .

2. I suggest people be a bit less impulsive about posting. Give your idea a second/minute/hour to breathe a bit.
A corollary to this is, you should probably delete about 50-80% of all the posts you start.
Loren wrote:Personally, I'd prefer more moderation from here on out, rather than the same, or less. Some might think that's odd, coming from me, (at least those who've known me around here for the last 8 years or so). . .

I realize that I will have to tell you all of this another dozen times over the next several years
I didn't really get all that, could you please run that by me again??
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Loren wrote:
Dale wrote:You've always had very strong opinions about commercial posts, Loren, and I respect them. And, right you are, you're not the only one irritated by the ones who find clever ways around the rules.

Fair enough. I'm about to become a commercial poster myself, so let's just see how well I learn to play the game :twisted:

Loren
Do it! Do it!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

chas wrote:
Dale wrote: At this point, I can only offer a few suggestions. . .

2. I suggest people be a bit less impulsive about posting. Give your idea a second/minute/hour to breathe a bit.
A corollary to this is, you should probably delete about 50-80% of all the posts you start.
Purging................
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

cowtime wrote:Oh well, I've missed it all too. That just goes to show that something always happens when I get to involved with regular living stuff.
I think everything you missed here has been deleted whereas parts of life that one misses are not and will always haunt one as a presence one ignored ......
Last edited by talasiga on Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit