Sundayafternoon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cayden

Sundayafternoon

Post by Cayden »

It was a fine sunny day so off we went, working on a photoproject covering Holy Wells in Co. Clare and do some walking around the Back of Beyond.

So I found myself taking the sunshine in Kilfenora. Up comes this american tourist all dressed in waxcoat and big hat. 'Can I ask you something' 'Ofcourse, work away' 'Can you tell me where the Burren is?' An often asked question, as simple and at the same time hard to anser. 'It's all around you, the whole area is the Burren' some agitation 'Yes but I want The Real Thing with stones and stuff. where can I find that?' I pointed to a few particularly stony places, towards Ballyvaughan, Mullaghmore mountain, take your pick.
'No for godsake, I want that thing you see in all those pictures, it's stones, like Stonehenge'. 'So it's Poulnabrone dolmen you want to see?' 'For crying out loud I don't care how you guys call it the thing in the picture THAT is what WE call the Burren in the States. So where is it?'. By this time the tone was getting pretty irritated, how could I not understand what 'we in the States' call these things afterall. I pointed the man 'out the Corofin road, turn left at Leamanah castle and keep going until you see all the rented cars parked on the road side'.
A few minutes later I saw him again, looking at a map of the area and driving out of Kilfenora in a direction opposite to the one I pointed out.

Anyhow, fifteen minutes later I was still pondering this failed cross cultural communication effort while crossing a field toward one of the big early settlements of the Burren: Caherballykinvarraga. Never restored or excavated this massive fort sits well hidden from the touristtrail, we had the place to ourselves (not counting the sheep). Little is known of what the place was about. It is assumed it was an early pre-christian settlement which in later times became the centre of power the Barony of Corcomroe.
Around the main enclosure is a line of defense of standing stones, a chevaux de frise, hard to get through even today, and no locals pelting stoens and spears as you go along. A few further ring shaped enclosures and perimeters dot the area. A great place.

Approach to the fort:

Chevaux de frise:

inner enclosure:

Big hawthorn tree inside the central enclosure. My guess is there was once a well there and the tree is a sacred one: on a visit some years ago the branches of the tree had a large amount of little rags tied to them, these are votive gifts from people seeking resolution to a problem or a cure for a disease. These are often found in trees near Holy Wells.

View of the main fort from a second circular enclosure:

On the way back, hidden between some massive Hollybushes and big old Ashes we found this well hidden and beautifully atmospheric Holy Well, down a field, only a few miles from home actually. I don't know anything about thsi one or what ailment it is supposed to cure.
A story for another day.

(fixed the odd typo or two)
Last edited by Cayden on Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Laban wrote:'For crying out loud I don't care how you guys call it the thing in the picture THAT is what WE call the Burren in the States. So where is it?'...A few minutes later I saw him again, looking at a map of the area and driving out of Kilfenora in a direction opposite to the one I pointed out.
Good lord. What a git that one was. Lovely photos, Peter. Too bad the tourist missed the sights.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

The photos are lovely! Thanks for posting them and the information about them.

I'm sorry the tourist acted that way, but I'm glad it didn't spoil your day.

--James
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

peeplj wrote: I'm sorry the tourist acted that way, but I'm glad it didn't spoil your day.

--James
Tourists are a bit too often the stereotype tourist. This sort of thing, the sheer lack of understanding or knowledge of the place visited and being only interested in particular sites from the brochures for example, leaves me usually more surprised than anything else. We went places, walked and had a lovely quiet day.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Wow! Smashing pictures. Looks like an interesting place. I've heard of a Cheval-de-frise: never knew you could have a stone Chevaux-de-frise!

Great stuff! Thanks for the posting!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Those pictures are beautiful. I saw a show on TV that showed a bit of all these rocks. I would like to see this in real life some day. That Holy Well with the white sort of monuments with shelves is not like anything I have seen before. Are the Holy Wells wells that people have dug? Are they natural springs? I am not quite sure what they are I guess.

I have traveled very little but I have seen some absolutely shocking behavior on the part of American tourists. They are usually shouting at someone who is trying to help them---it is the strangest thing. I believe they are just as awful at home as abroad. They are miserable everywhere. But it's too bad they give everyone a bad name! Silly man, why not just buy the postcard in town and be done with it :lol: ?

Oh well, let's get back to the sunny afternoon and beautiful rocks. Thanks for adding the sun to our very gloomy Sunday afternoon here!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
missy

Post by missy »

now, see, if I ever had the chance to tour the area, I would much rather visit a place like your pictures, then some hugely "famous" site. I could spend hours exploring and just sitting and marvelling at such a place, vs. the 15 minute "tour" and off at the well know ones.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Nice pics. Great color balance. What camera are you using? Any post processing?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Is there a correlation between having money and time to travel and having the personality of a troll? A study should be undertaken.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Cynth wrote:anything I have seen before. Are the Holy Wells wells that people have dug? Are they natural springs? I am not quite sure what they are I guess.
Holy wells are natural wells, they are a leftover from pre-christian Ireland. Often they have trees associated with them which in turn are used for some rituals. Despite the often overwhelming Catholic imagery there's a definite pagan feel to them: the locations, the trees and the water associated with them, the gifts left, the cures offered. Often you fell they are special spots, specific locations with a certain atmosphere attached to them. They are places of an all human spirituality, a private source where people come to find cures or relieve from worries, away from organised religion (although the wells have been incorporated into Irish Catholicism). Some are abandoned (I saw two fairly neglected ones today), most are still in use: yesterday I was at a location that had two, I was talking to an old man who came to say a few prayers (it was just outside a magnificent old cemetary, he came to visit his mother's grave)and do the ritual connected with that particular well (which provided a cure for eye problems). 'After a while he said: you go to that one now and get an indulgence, maybe you'll win the lottery'. Which was in jest ofcourse, but cures are sough all the time and some wells are very well kept. Below are some pictures of a magnificent one I was at two weeks ago, very well looked after, burning candles everywhere and decorated with a great sense of recycling (statues in old washing machines and a micowave, hub caps, paint buckets and jerrycans cut open).

a tree associated with that well:

Some wells completely lack all religious imagery though, I was at one in a very remote spot in the Burren, the Valley of the Seven Streams, seven streams spring from seven different wells there. One of these springs is a Blessed Well, it offers a cure for diabetes. It is just a hole in the rock.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Great pictures and fascinating information. Thanks for posting it.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thank you for that explanation. Now I wonder about the picture in your first post. Is the white "monument" with four shelves something that has been recycled from a home? Or was it specially built for its present purpose? It looks like red and blue and white would be the only colors that people would use to decorate the "shrine".
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Beautiful pictures, Peter, as always. Perhaps one day I might actually get to see it all for myself after all :)
Cynth wrote:It looks like red and blue and white would be the only colors that people would use to decorate the "shrine".
If the shrines were decorated for Christian purposes, then the colors would hold symbolic meaning; the blue and white are usually Our Lady's colors, while red can be associated with Christ or possibly a martyr. The 2nd picture that Peter posted had at least two Marian type statues in it, which might be the reason for the usage of the blue and white. But this is just speculative on my part.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Thanks for a great holiday trip, Peter. I didn't even have to get up. :wink:

The thing that strikes me about any sort of touristy thing in Ireland (or anywhere in Europe, really) is the age of it. Here, when you go to tour something "historic", the guide will tell you how hard they are working to reconstruct something so very old, sometimes almost a hundred years old (Imagine that! Gosh! :boggle:) whereas in Europe one or two hundred years hardly impresses anymore than last week.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Same thing here in the States djm.

Great pictures Peter. Ever have a tune out in Caherballykinvarraga? If something that beatiful was by my house, I would be out there with my Flute at any chance I had.