Would you mind checking out your right thumb nail?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Dude!

I have that divot too!

And (gasp!) I also see the beginnings of one on the thumb of my left hand!

M

But guess what? I'm gonna blame my Oak whistle, been playing it a lot lately after listening to Peter's golden oldies site a bit.....
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Bless you both Peter and Mary! So it may well be the flute playing and how we three are holding the flute. I'm willing to bet that my left thumb isn't getting one since it doesn't support much needing to be free for the Bb key.

Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Got a bunion/callus/something on my left thumb pad just above the joint where it contacts the flute. It'd be a pain in the ass if it weren't already in the thumb.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ditto on the cracks; no ridges however.

But you ought to see the bony bumps on my first thumb joints that have evolved over 35 years of this nonsense (RH much worse than left). My right thumb almost looks crooked!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
daiv

Post by daiv »

i dont play simple system (yet) but i do have thumb problems. it took me a couple years to figure out why. a knuckle in my right thumb cracks and several times a year it hurts for days on end. its always tighter, and doesnt have the same mobility as my left thumb. i adjusted my finger position, so it hasnt acted up in a long time, but the damage is done.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

you folks need to use way more moisturizer. and you have to put the moisturizer on while you still nice and wet from a bath/shower. you all do bathe/shower, don't you?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have had both ridges and pits in my thumbnails before--from psoriasis, though, not from flute playing.

In fact, I have always thought that flute playing and typing are the reasons my hands took little permanent damage from the arthritis until they finally got it to quieten down into remission using low doses of a chemo drug called methotrexate.

Just as an aside, the way I hold my flutes, the flute actually presses against the end of the thumb more than the pad. But it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other as far as nail ridges are concerned.

--James
Danner

Post by Danner »

My right thumbnail is wider than my left. (I measured.) I dunno what that's from, but that still probably doesn't help much.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Danner

Post by Danner »

No, it isn't twice as wide, sorry for the double post.
Last edited by Danner on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Danner - is it twice as wide? :P

Eric
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Lambchop wrote:... the tip of that thumb gets painful little cracks on the left side where it pushes into the flute.
If you turn around does it switch to the right side?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Sometimes I'm all thumbs. Now there's a playing challenge!
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Actually yes I have noticed that fairly recently too, and interestingly enough, it is on my left hand and I play left-handed. Maybe you're onto something.