I worked out my first ever tune by ear

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
monkey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I worked out my first ever tune by ear

Post by monkey »

Which I was very pleased with, but it was the theme tune to that old comedy series Blackadder :D.....

I suppose we all have to start somewhere.....:D
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I would be pleased too! I have not made a lot of progress in that area, although I guess I have worked out one or two tunes that I already sort of knew as songs with a little help from the notes when I couldn't sing a weird interval properly. If you know the tune pretty well already, it really is not so bad I think. You are on the road to success!Image
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
monkey

Post by monkey »

Cynth wrote::lol: I would be pleased too! I have not made a lot of progress in that area, although I guess I have worked out one or two tunes that I already sort of knew as songs with a little help from the notes when I couldn't sing a weird interval properly. If you know the tune pretty well already, it really is not so bad I think. You are on the road to success!Image
it's good :) it's S..l..o..w.. at the moment but i'm definetely improving.

I went for a ramble in the countryside this morning and took my whistle with me, I was just playing any silly thing as the mood came upon me, as I walked through the woods.

Anyway i came to this tunnel that goes under a motorway, so I played in this tunnel and due to the echoey-reverby effect in the tunnel it sounded fantastic 8) i played the Hobbit(?) theme from LOTR and it was so nice to hear :)

being in England on a sunny springtime day, in a tunnel, playing my whistle, is a lovely experience (for me at least) :D
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

That's great. Can you make us a sound clip.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Okay, now I don't want to rain on your parade or anything. But are you sure it is safe in those tunnels? I said you were on the "road to success" not in the "tunnel to success". Sometimes scary people hide out in tunnels. I suppose you know the tunnels in your area. (I can't help it, on the Personality Test I came out as a Guardian.)

It does sound quite nice though. Anything that makes a person play more is good. It's like practicing, but not practicing. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Good job. It will get easier the more you do.
falkbeer

Re: I worked out my first ever tune by ear

Post by falkbeer »

monkey wrote:Which I was very pleased with, but it was the theme tune to that old comedy series Blackadder :D.....

I suppose we all have to start somewhere.....:D
Try the theme from Wallace and Gromit. If sounds great on the tin whistle. I figured it out yesterday!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

the whistle is the first instrument that i could ever figure out a tune by ear too. what a surprise that was seeing as how i already played the keyboards, guitar, and harmonica. the songs that come to me though are a bit peculiar including, "i got spurs that jingle jangle jingle, as i go a merrily along." geesh. i'm working on desperado too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

mutepointe wrote:the whistle is the first instrument that i could ever figure out a tune by ear too. what a surprise that was seeing as how i already played the keyboards, guitar, and harmonica. the songs that come to me though are a bit peculiar including, "i got spurs that jingle jangle jingle, as i go a merrily along." geesh. i'm working on desperado too.

One of my first by ear was ''The good The Bad and The Ugly'' fun to play
Last edited by Tommy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I think the first tune I learned completly by ear was a reel called "Road to Errogie" Flook does it on Haven and Sharon Shannon. Michael McGoldrick, Frankie Gavin, and Jim Murray on Tunes. Until then, it was all sheet music for two years.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

Awesome, good job monk. The sop D, I am assuming your using, has a great octive for the human ear to detect the differences in notes. Lower notes are more work for our ears in general. It took me 3 good years of learning the bass/guitar to really be able to tune the instruments and "pick out" the notes that were being played without seeing them being played. Its just going to get easier...

WTA
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The first one I figured out was Good King Wenseslaus (which I probably didn't spell right but I think it's close enough.)
Charlene
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Yes, try a few Christmas carols. Many of them almost play themselves.

Good King Winceslas
Little Drummer Boy
I Saw Three Ships
We Three Kings

And some more I can't think of right off...

Jason
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

By ear, eh? Just imagine the progress you'll make when you learn to play with your fingers!! :D
Keep it up....
Dave
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I think the first tune I learned by ear was Battle of Brisbane off the Pogues album Red Roses For Me. Although they played it with a G whistle, I did it using the old Clarke original D. Came out sounding an octave lower when I did that..

I love that christmas tune, I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing.. Definitely a fun little tune once you learn rolls. I learned a version from that off The Bells of Dublin, by the Chieftains.

Just stick with it! The more you play and listen, and listen and play, the better you'll become at learning tunes by ear. Trust me, I've come a long way in learning by ear. It's definitely a cool skill to have. And useful.

-Eric