New Labour demolishes yet more British tradition

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

New Labour demolishes yet more British tradition

Post by SteveShaw »

Uproar is likely in the UK as the Blair administration prepares to announce that old-style phone boxes are to be reinstated - but in "environmentally-friendly green" rather than the traditional red that, sadly, was finally supplanted several years ago by what have been described as "charmless steel-and-glass constructions." It seems surprising that the government would even want to bother with phone boxes at all, what with the almost universal ownership of mobile phones, but they defend the move by declaring that the phone boxes will in fact be more than just somewhere to call your friends and family from - each one will be be a wi-fi hotspot, enabling broadband internet access even in remote areas. You will even be able to recharge your mobile and laptop batteries in the booths free of charge. Despite these obvious advances, critics are likely to describe the choice of green as yet another Blair misfire, along with recent fiascos over fox-hunting, half-hearted smoking bans, 24-hour drinking and the apparent selling of peerages to wealthy "loan" providers. A local government spokesman has allegedly declared that he doesn't know what all the fuss is about - after all, the much-loved London Routemaster buses which were recently scrapped are something that the public "seems to have got over quite easily." This patronising attitude, typical of new Labour as it gets more and more jaded, can only result in more fuel added to the flames.

Here's a photo of a C. & F. member in a prototype of the "new" phone boxes:

:lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Looks a bit like a loo with a view...

I thing we've done away with boxes...If there is a phone there is just enough cover to keep the phone dry.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I think the wifi thing is a good idea, but damn if I would have thought anyone would ever change the color to green. Blegh.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I like it, but the green needs to be a shade darker.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I don't understand about the changing them to green. If people liked them enough that they are bringing the old style back, wouldn't that mean that people liked the color as well? I think I'm not getting something here. I mean it's not as though the city is a wilderness area or something. I can't remember the last time I saw a public phone. They were usually of limited use because for some odd reason people always stole the phone books.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I smell an April Fool prank.

If the UK phone boxes were painted green, how would anyone be able to tell whether they were in Norn Iron or Surn Iron?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Last edited by Walden on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

s1m0n wrote:I like it, but the green needs to be a shade darker.
Agreed!

I wonder how Dr Who would feel if someone came up and painted the Tadis Red!

It is very easy for us to forget that many folks can only communicate according to how many 2-bob's they have in their pockets. And our culture is getting more and more reliant on communication. Public phones are all that prevents a lot of people becoming too distant to participate in our society - I'm sure they don't give a tinker's about what colour it is.

poor old Blair - he's the victim of his own success thank god - but which devil is going to replace him I might ask?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

As long as they don't repaint the TARDIS!

And the denizens of the planet in "Happiness Patrol" did try to paint it PINK of all horrid colors. Thankfully the Doctor had the sense to paint it back to its original proper color.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

As if the impending row over the phone boxes and Condoleeza's mixed (to say the least) reception in Blackburn, Lancashire wasn't enough to blight Blair's weekend, the lead singer of Coldplay, Chris Martin, has placed himself decisively in the opposition Tories' camp by releasing a pro-David Cameron song, the lyrics for which the Tory leader even had a hand in. There was a full report in today's Guardian (whatever you do, don't miss out on listening to the song!). I would say that the net is closing in on Blair at last. March was a pretty lousy month for him all round, what with all the talk of corruption and the ever-looming threat of the newly made-over Gordon Brown waiting in the wings. If he'd thought that the first day of April had held better portents for him, along with the much-delayed improvement in the British weather, he was sadly deluded. It isn't an uncommon phenomenon at this time of the year by any means.

lixnaw

Re: New Labour demolishes yet more British tradition

Post by lixnaw »

SteveShaw wrote: Image

:lol:
seems like more and more people in england are getting evicted and have to swap their houses for telephone booths...
pop

Post by pop »

I bet they still stink of urine,you had to wear full body protection to use the old red ones,and keep the door open with your foot,we use to call them f*rt traps :)
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

pop wrote:I bet they still stink of urine,you had to wear full body protection to use the old red ones,and keep the door open with your foot,we use to call them f*rt traps :)
At least the old ones kept the noise out to some extent. The last time I used one of the new ones in London, on Tottenham Court Road, I couldn't hear a damn word of the conversation with my wife because of the bloody Routemaster buses thundering past! The return of the old ones will mean at least a partial return to sanity. Even in yukky green. They certainly do the trick for me.

pop

Post by pop »

[I couldn't hear a damn word of the conversation with my wife ]
and this is a bad thing? :)
only kidding,i know what you mean,if there is a box about people using mobiles even step inside.which is a bit naughty i suppose.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"A more environmentally friendly green"??? Red is toxic?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician