Re-reading a sci-fi classic....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Tyler Morris wrote:They've also gone and done a sequel that comprises the events of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
Don't miss it if you can. :wink:

Put me in the first-book-was-a-classic, the-rest-not-so-much group. I think I might have put the fourth one down unfinished ...which is pretty rare, for me.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Dune has long been a favorite of mine, as is Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Great Sci-Fi.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Dune has long been a favorite of mine, as is Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Great Sci-Fi.
Yep ...also, Ursula LeGuin's Hainish series... possibly the best-ever series framework. I want to be an Observer of the Ekumen when I grow up. :wink:
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I'm about 160 pages into Dune now.
The thing I love most about re-reading favorites of my youth is the emotional renaissance I experience.
For example, I'm remided of how much I admired young Paul Atreides. I may have been about twelve or thirteen when I first read Dune , so I was about the same age as Paul; there were many things about the boy that I felt (and still feel to a degree) I could identify with....
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this book.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
wgority

Post by wgority »

Save yourself! Save yourself! Fergawdsake don't read anything in the series by Brian Herbert!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Tyler Morris wrote:For example, I'm remided of how much I admired young Paul Atreides. I may have been about twelve or thirteen when I first read Dune , so I was about the same age as Paul; there were many things about the boy that I felt (and still feel to a degree) I could identify with....
That creepy old woman who put yer hand in a box....

...did she get you too, Tyler?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

wgority wrote:Save yourself! Save yourself! Fergawdsake don't read anything in the series by Brian Herbert!!!!!!!!!!!!
I read Man of Two Worlds (by Brian and Frank Herbert) and Dreamer of Dune (Brian's biography of his dad). That was enough to convince me that I don't want to read anything else written (or co-written) by Brian Herbert, no matter how much of the story is based on Frank's notes. Bleh.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

On a totally different style, and far from being a classic, I recently started reading the 5th book in the "Dark Tower" series from Stephen King. Being a big reader of sci-fi and fantasy books, it always feel a little weird to read some fantasy/sci-fi from Stephen King. But it's surprinsingly somehow refreshing, he blends many different styles in this series, it's like a cocktail of horror/sci-fi/fantasy. Also, no matter what we say, he's a great storyteller for sure.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Every so often I reread Heinlein. Sometimes I think the books have aged gracefully, and others I wonder why I ever thought Heinlein was worth the time. Okay, I still enjoy Time Enough For Love.

The only Dune book I ever read was the first. I still enjoy nearly all the Bradbury I have on the shelves.

Can anyone point me to a recent SF novel that holds a candle to these?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Am I the only person who thought that reading the Brian Herbert stuff was ok- not great- way too long; but it did fill in the spaces. BUT on to better things

Zelazny and the Amber series- My kids and I love that series; along with the Piers Anthony stuff...did I mention Terry Pratchett?...
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I absolutely adored the entire Miles Vorkosigan series.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Dune was great, but (so far as my questionable memory serves) the author had a habit of switching viewpoint between characters without warning... Great story, though. Didn't really like any of the sequels.

Most impressive thing I read recently was Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I wasn't convinced at first, but on a second reading I now consider it absolute genius, and possibly an interesting balance to Lewis's Narnia stuff.

I re-read classic SF regularly, and recently I've gone back through Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, Piers Anthony's Of Man and Manta, Larry Niven's Protector and Ringworld books, Moorcock's Final Programme and M John Harrison's Viriconium.

I find myself searching charity shops for books I loved in years gone by, but I still get through plenty of new stuff too.

I'm another one of those people with a huge stack of books awaiting attention...
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Slight change of topic, but did anyone ever read the whole of "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan?

I started reading this series of books (about ten years ago, probably more) when I thought there were three volumes total. Imagine my horror when, having ploughed through over 1,500 pages of print, the story was still left hanging.

I later bought volume 4 and read it... and the story still wasn't done.

Volume 5... by this point I'm getting more than a bit tired of the whole thing, and I'm losing track of the dozens of characters being introduced.

Volume 6, I never even read it, got it in a charity shop for 50p.

Volume 7.... yawn. I gave up.

In fact, forget that, I see nobody could have, because it's going to run to 12 volumes, and #11 was only published in October 2005.

How is anyone supposed to keep their interest in a series of books that takes over 6,000 pages and twelve years to reach a conclusion?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I can't stand Robert Jordan...
I read the first four and part of the fifth(skipped ahead a good deal, cause it just seemed to repeat the others) of the Wheel of Time Thingymabopper, and it seemed that each book was just a new way of trying to sell the same plot line as the first and second books.
IMHO, the entire mess could have been done in two books, maybe three.
It's just my opinion, but I don't think Robert Jordan is a very good writer/storyteller.
The thing that kind of lost my interest (besides the repetition of plot themes) was that it felt like quite a few of his ideas seemed to be vaguely familiar to other authors works with one or two things changed...I dunno.
Just my opinion, and as James would say, "Worth what you paid to read it." :D
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Tyler Morris wrote:I hope I don't offend anyone, but I can't stand Robert Jordan...
I read the first four and part of the fifth(skipped ahead a good deal, cause it just seemed to repeat the others) of the Wheel of Time Thingymabopper, and it seemed that each book was just a new way of trying to sell the same plot line as the first and second books.
IMHO, the entire mess could have been done in two books, maybe three.
It's just my opinion, but I don't think Robert Jordan is a very good writer/storyteller.
Absolutely. One of my favourite Sci-Fi authors is John Wyndham, and I don't think any of his books ran more than 250 pages. That's how to tell a story.