Sindt Bb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Sindt Bb

Post by Jonathan »

What's the word on these? Anybody own one? Tone, volume, etc?
Thanks
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I've not heard two bad things about Sindt whistles.

The one being that most people agree Cn is not easily crossfingered.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Congratulations wrote:The one being that most people agree Cn is not easily crossfingered.
That only applies to Sindt Ds only.

The Sindt Bbs, like all Sindts, are terrific whistles. They take a bit of breath.
/Bloomfield
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Bloomfield wrote:
Congratulations wrote:The one being that most people agree Cn is not easily crossfingered.

The Sindt Bbs, like all Sindts, are terrific whistles. They take a bit of breath.
Agreed. My lower Sindts (an A/Bb set) have a slight cloudiness in tone. It's not at all unpleasant. They are still relatively pure and sweet. I've never really noticed the breath requirements that much but, in lower whistles especially, I really like Overtons and Copelands which, in polar opposite ways, have much more extreme breath requirements.

For those not familiar with Overtons and Copelands, I'll explain. Overtons tend to have a lot of back pressure and require strong breath support. You need to lean into them. Copelands, on the other hand, have little backpressure. They are easy to blow but you'll need to breath a lot more frequently.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I have a Sindt Bb. Its one of my favorite whistles, would recommend it in a heartbeat.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Bloomfield wrote:
Obviously. (In any other key, the cross-fingering isn't Cn :-)

I've heard this comment before, but oxxooo works just fine on both my Sindts.

-- Scott
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Kevin Crawford uses a Sindt Bb.

My Sindt C is in my top 3 range of Whistles I have ever played. The other two are an Abell and my Sweetheart. Of course I didn't like the Sindt D at all.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I think very highly of my Sindt B-Flat. Of the three B-Flat whistles I have, it is far and away my favorite. I am 'fat, dumb and happy' with my entire Sindt set (E, E-Flat, D, C, B-Flat and A), but have no notion of his waiting list length at this time. However, for the entire first 5 years of my involvement with the whistle, I had one or another Sindt whistle on order. The waiting was always worth it.

Tom D.
brotherwind

Sindt Eb

Post by brotherwind »

Hi Folks,
today I received a used Eb Sindt made in 2001. Never thought how much the difference would be. The sound strikes me, the whistle seems to be the perfectly tuned little brother of my Generation high-D. It is lovely. Now I understand perfectly the affection and respect John Sindt's whistles have received in this forum. Normally I play a Burke DASBT high-D and a TWZ AlJo high-D. Last one beeing closer to the "traditional" sound.

I was just wandering why Sindt's high-D received mixed critique.

Cheers,

brotherwind
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ah, Bflat whistles. Had Sindt Bflat and A whistles, but sold them long ago - they were solid but I thought then (likely due more to my own incompetence) that they were somewhat boring and not as good as the wonderful Sindt D and C which I will forever retain. I have a Copeland that is very nice, an Abell blackwood that has the loveliest tone of all the Bflats I've tried, a newer black tip Burke which is terrific, a Susato also nice, a WW which is fantastic value with big sound and tone holes, and perhaps the greatest whistle value of all, comparable even to that of the Walton Golden Tone C, 2 old Generations, one with blue and one with red mouthpiece. I also long ago sold an Overton Bflat, that was chock full of bluesy personality and, regrettably, a real nice TW honduran rosewood Bflat.

That is the sum of my Bflat experience, which is probably useless, as these guys are always experimenting and changing their whistles, and that's a treat overall! :)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

The Sindt Bb is awesome. Sold one years ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks for the input everyone!