Re-reading a sci-fi classic....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re-reading a sci-fi classic....

Post by Tyler »

My parents decided I was too difficult to shop for, and for my birthday gave me $50 and a box of Count Chocula....
Last night I put that (the money, not the cereal; that came later) to good use and bought all six novels in Frank Herbert's Dune series.
I'd read the first two as a lad, but never went any further, but I was thinking how much I really enjoyed them, especially the first.
So... last night I went to my local book seller, Sam Weller's, and picked up all six.
I've already burned through the first eighty pages of Dune this morning :D
Man, it's even better than I remember it being!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Frank Herbert is my favorite sci-fi author. I lost track of how many times I read the original Dune trilogy during high school. (And I do mean during school.) His other novels and short stories are also quite interesting.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Dune is probably the best Sci-Fi novel written. I've never been able to get through any of the others.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I enjoyed the first one.

the rest. . . .meh. But that's just me. I enjoyed the Silmarillion immensely, even though most consider it a total snoozefest.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

"Dune" is a classic and the next two are good but the quality tends to drop off in the later ones. I've been told to avoid the ones written by his son.

For the past few years I've been buying up past Hugo winners, I've read some great books that way. There are so many published each year it's hard to filter out the crappy ones, specially when you have ecletic taste.

Here's a list of hugo winners by year

http://worldcon.org/hy.html
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Odd...I've always felt the same.

"Dune" is a classic, as good as they come. I've never made it completely through any of the others.

BTW, Wormdiet, I also enjoyed the Silmarillion, and have re-read it many times.

But for Sci-Fi, one of my altime favorites has to be the "Giants" novels of James Hogan. Good good stuff, old-school "hard" sci-fi at its best.

--James
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

(Lone Dissenting voice)
The first one was pretty good. The second one not so good. The third one not quite so good.
By the time it got to the sixth it was p*ss-poor. In the opinion of this person.

If you read them on the trot you'll be in a Dune-Frenzy, and you won't even notice. Just keep it that way.

We recently had the DVD of the film free with our Saturday paper.
I had seen it in the Kinematographic Theatre - now fitted with sound!
It was every bit as bad as I remembered. Too many voice-overs. Things explained in full three times that could have been hinted at. Special effects ("the VOICE") which should have been left to the actors.
Such a pity. I like Francesca Anis too. And boy, does Sting look young.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I.B., did you ever get a chance to see the Sci-Fi Channel's Miniseries?
They've also gone and done a sequel that comprises the events of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I really enjoyed "The Jesus Incident" by Herbert.

I love all those "reluctant messiah"-type stories, like Heinlen's "Stranger.." among others.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I liked the first and third, but not the second. I did read the fourth, but didn't enjoy it enough to pursue the following ones.

There are a few Herbert books that I like better than any of the Dune books. The Eyes of Heisenberg, Hellstrom's Hive, the Dosadi Experiment, the Santaroga Barrier, probably some that I can't recall.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Dune is one of my favorite novels in any genre. I love the way he created an entire society with language, customs, mythology, etc.

I got as far as #3 and then my interest petered out.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I only got through the first three. For some reason I just lost interest. Until then I was engrossed.

And I like Count Chocula.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Tyler Morris wrote:I.B., did you ever get a chance to see the Sci-Fi Channel's Miniseries?
They've also gone and done a sequel that comprises the events of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
Alas, I am earthbound. Otherwise I'd never get out of the armchair, and the uxorial consequences are unimaginable. Even by Frank Herbert.

I do believe I have seen boxed sets of the same in the shops. You can't watch the film without thinking that it would be better done as a TV series. There is just too much happening. One day I might have a look at it, when I stop watching the Alien series end-to-end continuously.

I think Frank Herbert is pretty good, but it seems to me that he just had a good look at the Bedouin and redrew their culture in the future.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Flyingcursor wrote:And I like Count Chocula.
Frankenberry is totally the best of the three. Count Chocula and Boo Berry can't even compete.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
chas

Post by chas »

Flyingcursor wrote: And I like Count Chocula.
And here I thought you guys were a fairly wholesome bunch:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29263

(I was looking for the one in which the Pope had excommunicated Count Chocula and suffered the consequences, but it's not in the archives.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.