Required Reading

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Required Reading

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Dale wrote:You must read this article. I expect your report on my desk by 8:00 a.m.

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/03/28/2235246.shtml
It was a sound decision.

There are many arguments for the existence of Wal-marts.

But the second I catch sight of that yellow smiley face, and the drab, cluttered, opressive grayness of the place, I feel I must leave or choke to death. Therefore, no surprise, I avoid them.
Wal-mart is the Mordor of retail.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I live relatively close to Bentonville and Wal-Mart's been a big part of the economy around here all my life. My mother worked for them briefly, when she was a teenager. She was fired. Personally, I think they've severely gone downhill since Sam's death.
Reasonable person
Walden
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Required Reading

Post by scottielvr »

Nanohedron wrote:Wal-mart is the Mordor of retail.
...and so they really ought to treat their employees better...you don't want to be dealing with a disgruntled bunch of these guys.

This is only a little Mordor spoof and means no offence to any past, present, or future WalMart employee...
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi Dale,

Sorry for the late reply, My schedule only allows for 2 toilet breaks a day during which I must attend to every other thing such as reading or going to the doctor. Fortunately I've found that tea tree oil, super-glue and gaffa tape fix most ills (medical disclaimer here) so I don't need to go to a doctor - they only ever seem to prescribe laxatives anyway for some reason.

I can see mr weir's dilemma. and I salute him for employing armies of disposable systems consultants to get those desirable ranks of robots full-time jobs. I know intimately how this is done, how much it costs and what happens to systems consultants after they have been disposed of.

There is a very positive outcome to the hydroponic-garden-variety-busnessman's pre-ocupation with efficiency - and that is that soon we will all be able to replace our inconvenient body parts with replacements from Wal Mart, we can then take our place at the production line far more effectively!

By the way, If you like I can reduce your inventory by at least 30%, reduce your carrying costs, your freight costs and your error rates while lifting your service levels from languishing in the low 70s to as high as 99.9% while also reducing your delivery lead times and enhancing your speed to market. It will cost you as little as $6m USD! (not counting plant and other capital items). I have some business case pro formae here - just cross-out W** ***t and put in your business name and return the signed result in quad to my lawyers who will contact your lawyers (legal charges excluded from quote). Of course, your accountants will find no problem authorising the expendidture, we on the other hand, have not quoted to do a retrospective investment analysis - we can quote if you'd like but ... hmmm pricey ...). Later on, we will drop you a line from Cote D'azure after we've nialed the sunset clause in our indemnity and disposed of our consultants. (And of course you are welcome at any time to make use of the yacht - this might be a good idea while your disposable consultant hands-out the redundancies to thise time-wasting inefficient old-timers you call employees)

Inocent bystander - the bit you missed about food is that by having our supply chains so razor-thin a singe glitch might result in entire cities starving to death.

Wal Mart and their ilk destroy the redundancy in communities that buffer them from disaster - it is the greatest example of Community Value being converted into Financial value - that is always a one way conversion and usually gets extracted from the necks of mr&mrs average while they sleep.

Damn-it I just noticed that my Wal-Mart mood stabiliser has dropped off again, hang on a tic ... :) ... ) ... : .. )))) :: :) :) :) :) there that's better - super glue(tm) is so good :) , I highly recommend it at ony $3.50 :) you get an amazing universal repair kit and general utility all in one :)(some conditions apply).

And just remember - all the above is rubish, please ignore :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Oh, dear, Mitch, you are in a state, aren't you. There, there. Have another.

Turn it over so the imprint makes a little smiley face. Now, don't you feel better?

:wink:

This in no way constitutes an attempt at mental health care advice. Or, heaven knows, at humor.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

scottielvr wrote:Oh, dear, Mitch, you are in a state, aren't you. There, there. Have another.
[img]
Gulp ... Thanks Scottie ... mmmmm I feel the smile going all through me.

Yes super markets are such nice folks :) I worked for one that even delayed going online in the internet because they felt that the physical supermarket was the only day-time social venue they had not already wrecked - and they felt sorry for people who might end up with nowhere to go. Such caring! :) :) see - I even write my smileys sideways but they come-out right-way-up - I love robots! :) What a wonderful world! :)

You got another of those blues?
_________
:) :) :) :) :)
djm

Post by djm »

I was surprised to learn that Walmart is a good place to look for groceries. I just scored canned tuna there on special at nearly $1.50 less per tin than in the grocery stores. Walmart may have its bad sides, but I certainly wouldn't pass up taking advantage of good prices for the exact same item as I could get elsewhere.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:I was surprised to learn that Walmart is a good place to look for groceries. I just scored canned tuna there on special at nearly $1.50 less per tin than in the grocery stores. Walmart may have its bad sides, but I certainly wouldn't pass up taking advantage of good prices for the exact same item as I could get elsewhere.

djm
Yeah, see, I don't get that. I think we need to care about how companies do business. This primacy of the bargain bothers me. Besides: Tuna, man. Mercury!

My reading of the article doesn't make me conclude that Weir & Snapper are saintly. I just find the whole WalMart thing chilling.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Dale wrote:I just find the whole WalMart thing chilling.
Hmmm chilling. A good friend of mine recently extracted a few mill from a company perfecting traceable airline perishables and refrigerated containers. This is a major breakthrough for the feasible transport of perishables! Fantasic advance in supply chain efficiency - now your tuna can originate in a fish farm anywhere in the world! Being fed anything not illegal in that country under labour and hygene conditions that conform to the standards in that region!

In Oz, and most likely the USA, the use of "night soil" is prohibited in food production processes. But that's the exception rather than the rule. But hey, what's wrong with a little human feces in the shrimp that your tuna ate?

A funny thing happened to the entire population of the popular Sydney Rock Oyster last year - they all died from some virus. ... maybe ? .... nah!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Mitch wrote:
Dale wrote:I just find the whole WalMart thing chilling.
Hmmm chilling. A good friend of mine recently extracted a few mill from a company perfecting traceable airline perishables and refrigerated containers. This is a major breakthrough for the feasible transport of perishables! Fantasic advance in supply chain efficiency - now your tuna can originate in a fish farm anywhere in the world! Being fed anything not illegal in that country under labour and hygene conditions that conform to the standards in that region!

In Oz, and most likely the USA, the use of "night soil" is prohibited in food production processes. But that's the exception rather than the rule. But hey, what's wrong with a little human feces in the shrimp that your tuna ate?

A funny thing happened to the entire population of the popular Sydney Rock Oyster last year - they all died from some virus. ... maybe ? .... nah!
Oh, poo!
Reasonable person
Walden
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Y'know Dale...
having bought this house o' mine last fall, I'm in the market for a lawnmower...
I think I'll pull out the extra green for a Snapper.
djm wrote: I was surprised to learn that Walmart is a good place to look for groceries. I just scored canned tuna there on special at nearly $1.50 less per tin than in the grocery stores. Walmart may have its bad sides, but I certainly wouldn't pass up taking advantage of good prices for the exact same item as I could get elsewhere.
They are pretty good for groceries...
We have, however, one locally owned chain that's doing pretty good against them. They're still a few cents more expensive on things, but their personal service touch is beyond compare. On top of that they have a fuel program where you can get up to 75 cents off per gallon for 15 gallons for buying stuff I'd normally buy anyways.
I did the math once and, in the long haul, I save more by buying my groceries and my gasoline at the local chain.
On top of that, I don't have to search acres and acres of parking lot for that one magical (i.e. empty) stall and fight with hordes of people to get what I want...
I'm just grateful to see a local company doing so well against them.
I am ashamed to say that I do go to wally-world for a few things still, but I'm working on it; I'm in Wal-Mart Buyers Annonymous...
"Hello. My name is Tyler, and I'm a WalMart customer...."

Hey, anyone remember that fine piece of Joss Whedon writing, Alien Ressurection?
Diddn't Wal-Mart buy out the Weiland-Yutani Company.... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Tyler Morris wrote:Y'know Dale...
having bought this house o' mine last fall, I'm in the market for a lawnmower...
Be a reel man and get a reel mower!

Show those oil company executives who is boss and say “No!” to high gas prices with this lawn cutting wonder. Burn calories and improve your physique as you stroll behind your reel mower on a sunny day. No loud noises to distract you or the smell of burned fossil fuel to get in the way of that fresh cut grass smell. Yes with the reel mower you can feel good about yourself and your lawn. People will walk by your house and know by your lawn that you are a reel man.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tyler Morris wrote: I am ashamed to say that I do go to wally-world for a few things still, but I'm working on it; I'm in Wal-Mart Buyers Annonymous...
"Hello. My name is Tyler, and I'm a WalMart customer...."
Well, I think there are parts of the country where it's most inconvenient to shop anywhere else.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:Y'know Dale...
Be a reel man and get a reel mower!

Show those oil company executives who is boss and say “No!” to high gas prices with this lawn cutting wonder. Burn calories and improve your physique as you stroll behind your reel mower on a sunny day. No loud noises to distract you or the smell of burned fossil fuel to get in the way of that fresh cut grass smell. Yes with the reel mower you can feel good about yourself and your lawn. People will walk by your house and know by your lawn that you are a reel man.
I already am a reel man :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Similar things happen in the musical instrument industries. One of the reasons why I have bought Rickenbacker guitars is that they won't make an inferior product and sell huge quantities of them at Guitar Center and Sam Ash, the music store equivalents of wally world.

I'm all for efficiency, but I am apprehensive about the accumulation of economic power by one entity. Economic power too easily becomes cultural and political power.

Fight the Power!

OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.