Bar fight stories

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Been in a Bar fight???

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 35

Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I've never even been a lawyer.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

D4rksh0gun wrote:Have you ever broken an instrument over someones head?
No, but I've wanted to. Bodhráns and spoons, mostly.

Oh yeah, and one whistle: "Tune? Who needs to tune?" If you're reading this, bud, you know who you are. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:
emmline wrote:I have to say, now that I stop and think about it, that I haven't been in any kind of a fight since beating off David Nicholson when I was 11.
*splutter*
Calm down. He was twelve, and too dumb to mean any real harm.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Congratulations wrote:
Cynth wrote:
Congratulations wrote:One time, at session, I tripped and landed on my keys. I had a bruise for like a week.

Does that count?
:lol: :lol: Oh mercy. Congrats, I was thinking I was a little surprised that you got into beefs in bars when I saw your name. What a relief! :lol:
:lol: Yeah, I am not the sort to be involved in a fight anywhere, much less in a bar.

Plus, I'm not of drinking age, and it's sort of difficult to get in a barfight when you're not totally trashed, I would think.
I've never seen a bar fight and I don't intend to. If there are drunken thugs around, I say get out of the place quick. People hitting each other just seems too bizarre for words. I mean I could understand if one's work required a person to go somewhere rough and he had to defend himself---like if you had to repair electric lines somewhere scary. But why hangout somewhere voluntarily where there are barbarians? Oh well. Just my opinion. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Denny

Post by Denny »

Congratulations wrote:
Cynth wrote:
Congratulations wrote:One time, at session, I tripped and landed on my keys. I had a bruise for like a week.

Does that count?
:lol: :lol: Oh mercy. Congrats, I was thinking I was a little surprised that you got into beefs in bars when I saw your name. What a relief! :lol:
:lol: Yeah, I am not the sort to be involved in a fight anywhere, much less in a bar.

Plus, I'm not of drinking age, and it's sort of difficult to get in a barfight when you're not totally trashed, I would think.
Quite easy...the trick is seein' 'em comming and goin' first.

Doesn't always work.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

2 stories from the mid-'70s:

I was once playing in a band in the Railway Inn, Galashiels, when a fight broke out in the bar: it was a long room, with the stage halfway down the long wall, opposite to the bar. The fight started at one end of the bar, and went all the way to the door at the other end, right in front of us. We just kept on playing - it was Dylan's "Forever Young".

But the scariest thing, with the same band, was an audience who just wouldn't let us go off at the end of the night: they were literally dancing on tables, whooping and roaring for more jigs and reels, and mostly good-naturedly drunk, but when we tried to stop, it got ugly. Eventually the landlord pulled the plug, and promised the crowd we'd be back to play again next month, which quietened things down. But for a while it was scary - these guys were not in control. That was the Royal Hotel in Jedburgh.

And when we went back there, we had just bought a new PA amp, which blew our PA speakers as soon as we switched the power on. The place was packed, and expectations were high. We managed to borrow speakers, but we couldn't hear each other, and it was probably the worst performance we ever did. Ah well....

b
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Yes..Rotterdam Bar Belfast early 1990's.
Bar was packed.. listening to band.. I am a teetotaler (Pioneer)..Picked up with difficulty( because of the crowd) what I thought was my glass o water.. had a mouthfull.. had the most aweful reaction and without thinking spat it out.(It was Guinness) the spray went over the girl stood next to me ( a complete stranger)she didnae think it was an appropriate chat up line and took a swipe at me I dodged she slapped a girl next to me,they went for each other.. the boyfriends then started on each other..the bar erupted ..I decided that the gig was kinda over and left unscathed.Never went back . :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Uilliam wrote:Yes..Rotterdam Bar Belfast early 1990's.
Bar was packed.. listening to band.. I am a teetotaler (Pioneer)..Picked up with difficulty( because of the crowd) what I thought was my glass o water.. had a mouthfull.. had the most aweful reaction and without thinking spat it out.(It was Guinness) the spray went over the girl stood next to me ( a complete stranger)she didnae think it was an appropriate chat up line and took a swipe at me I dodged she slapped a girl next to me,they went for each other.. the boyfriends then started on each other..the bar erupted ..I decided that the gig was kinda over and left unscathed.Never went back . :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Image I still don't know which part I enjoyed most, the part with the guiness spray, the slaps, the macho fight or quite likely, your discrete exit...and all in a second. Great!
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I spent three weeks staying in the village of Glenelg in the West Highlands of Scotland back in late summer, 1998. Very small place: about 30 people in the village proper and 200 or so in the entire parish. Anyway, I was a frequent visitor to the Glenelg Inn bar and one night things got really out of hand. I don't remember any fighting, but I was there with a British Army officer by the name of Donald MacDonald and he was completely wasted. Suddenly, a dance remix of the James Bond theme came on the stereo. Next thing I know, Donald is up on one of the tables kicking broken glass everywhere and doing his best Sean Connery impression, then some other people turned the pool table on its side for some reason. I seem to recall some barrells of whisky rolling around as well. Everyone thought Donald had the right idea and started dancing on the tables at this point. My last memory is most of the punters winding up too drunk to stand behind the bar pouring their own drinks...
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I grew up with a family of alpha-males who's self-avowed purpose in life was to get in bar fights. Ugh. I've never figured out the reason. I don't frequent establishments with such a reputation. In fact I don't even go to bars unless it's to play music.

I've seen a few fights though.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I've seen a lot of them - one place I used to play (this was in my rock daze) fights were a regular occurance. They usually started at the pool tables in the back and we would place chairs in the aisles between tables to slow the swell before it got to the stage and our instruments.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Kenny Rogers wrote:Promise me, son, not to do the things I've done.
Walk away from trouble if you can.
It don't mean you're weak
If you turn the other cheek.
I hope you're old enough to understand...
Son, you don't have to fight to be a man.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
emmline wrote:I have to say, now that I stop and think about it, that I haven't been in any kind of a fight since beating off David Nicholson when I was 11.
*splutter*
Calm down. He was twelve, and too dumb to mean any real harm.
I think you misunderstand Nano's reason for *splutter*ing.
Kindly reread your post as if you were Amar.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In Edinburgh in 1975 or thereabouts.

I can't even remember how it started. It was one of those
"Are you lookin' at me, Jimmy?" moments.
My girlfriend and I were on the way out of the pub, and were accosted and followed by a group of four - two drunk men and their equally drunk partners. All parties older than us. We stopped in front of a shop when they managed to reach us again. The one guy was definitely being egged-on by his female. He was so drunk that anything I said outraged him. He took a swing at me, I dodged, he lost his balance and went through the plate-glass window. Screams from the women. Alarm bells from the shop window. Distant Police Sirens.

We legged it. I never did find out what happened after that.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Standing in line for the ladies' room and one girl shouts to another, "Leave my boyfriend alone!" The other says, "Don't tell me what to do- he's not yours anyway" and they start pulling hair and trying to punch each other. Don't think either of them ever landed one but it was funny to watch. The not-quite-a-fight ended when one picked up a chair to throw at the other and slipped on some beer giving the other a chance to leave. The guy who's ownership was in question just stood on the side laughing. Not much to look at- he must have had a good personality.
Those women need to take a lesson from my kids.