Thinking about selling my Weasel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wait! I have the solution to all our money worries! We don't need to sell anything!

Just sart safe trapping a bunch of the local starlings and visit the local car wash more often!

http://iranscope.ghandchi.com/Fun/Carwa ... ieveit.htm
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I can tell you that from personal conversations with Glenn over the years, he deeply felt that making an instrument that a person would keep, cherish and pass on to future generations was very dear to him. In that spirit, I'd urge you to keep the Weasel if you possibly can. Play it. Love it. Pass it on not for money, but as something to value.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Yeah, Every time I had to part with an instrument spelled an end of an era - I never found replacements for them, other instruments after a long time yes, replacements no.

A musical instrument is a little more than capital equipment, even more than an investment vehicle. I have often argued that one must not let "things" determine their lives, but a loved musical instrument is a special case.

Perhapse life is saying that there is another opportunity you are not looking at but should.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I think Regor wrapped it up sort of nice and concisely and I agree. I've gone through this almost every time I sell a whistle. I've been fortunate that I haven't sold out of need, but rather have trimmed the herd of those I really don't play and aren't in the very top of those that are special to me for one reason or another. I've gone from player/collector to only collecting those that I play. I recently traded away a "collectible (i.e., well known maker and not made anymore)" whistle that just wasn't a player for me for a whistle of less monetary value but that I will play regularly.

BTW, I still have my very first high end whistle - a cocobolo TW D that's about 12 years old, still plays well and always reminds me of the back and forth with Glenn.

The whistles I can't imagine parting with right now include my glass jars filled with various old cheapies, my Copelands, O'Riordans, Burkes and Sindts, TW, WWs, and a Parkhurst and two Elfsongs that all have my initials emblazened on them.

If that's your favorite whistle and the proceeds would not be needed to pay the rent, I'd hold on to it.

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Years ago I sold a 1979 Gibson Les Paul ebony deluxe for a piddling 500 quid, just pay the mortgage one month. The words "fecking twat" echo eerily in the space between my ears whenever I think about that.

Money? There are no pockets in a shroud.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

brewerpaul wrote:In that spirit, I'd urge you to keep the Weasel if you possibly can. Play it. Love it. Pass it on not for money, but as something to value.

I agree with Paul. Keep it and love it.
Fitzgerald

Post by Fitzgerald »

If you're still soliciting opinions . . . "keep the whistle"!!
Marc
_____
leigheas na póite a hól arís
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I think PhilO's got it right. The whistle is not going to depreciate in value any time soon, so unless it's immediate financial need, I'd keep it. It can always be sold when/if that need does arise.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Re: Thinking about selling my Weasel

Post by Cynth »

Wanderer wrote:Con: I find myself becoming attached to certain whistles again, and this is one I return to regularly.
If you return to the whistle regularly, then it seems as though it is one of your favorite instruments. So why would you sell one of your favorite instruments, particularly when it cannot be replaced? To me this does not make any sense regardless of the price the whistle would bring. So I would forget the whole deal myself and just move on. Maybe you should quit checking the prices if you get disturbed and into dilemmas by reading them. Decide to sell a whistle if you don't use it or want it, but otherwise don't look at the whistle ads.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Experience speaking here: If you part with an instrument you love, you'll kick yourself for the rest of your life. It is SO hard to find an equivalent to a good instrument, and another reason to hang onto it is that you will probably not be able to find another like it. If you get another whistle you like better, so be it. Otherwise, I'd keep it.
Cheers, Dave
I'm with Parky dude, again from experience. You know my story, I had to part with many fine instruments, and for the most part, I've lost no sleep over it. HOWEVER, 1 flute and 2-3 whistles were irreplaceable for various reasons, and though I did what had to be done at the time, it really does pain me to have given up those particular instruments.

My advice: Unless you're in a real financial bind with no alternatives, forget about the money and keep the whistle - I managed to hold on to my unusually good Abell whistle set, plus virtually all the instruments that were given to me as gifts, and I'm REALLY glad I didn't let those instruments go, because I would be seriously kicking myself now.

Best,

Loren
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Whoa! It's something like 47 keep it's, to .75 it's ok to let it go to a good home.

That, sir, is what is called a landslide. haha
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

dfernandez77 wrote:Whoa! It's something like 47 keep it's, to .75 it's ok to let it go to a good home.

That, sir, is what is called a landslide. haha
lol, seriously! I wasn't really taking a vote, though...I was more interested in the discussion.

So, to expand a bit, I don't need the money. I don't need a new flute, either. :) I think I'll be happy with my Rose for quite a while yet--though having tooted one at a session once, I'm positive I'll be getting a Terry McGee some years from now.

There are some things that the money would buy that would be nice. For instance, if the whistle sold for close to $800, that's an Abell and a Copeland low D right there, both of which fine whistles which I would like to own again. Or I could get some of the more expensive and difficult to get whistles that I haven't reviewed yet, like a Fred Rose whistle, a Sindt, a Humphrey a Harper, and a Seery all possible perhaps after the sale of the one Weasel. The Weasel is a great whistle, but it isn't yet my favorite whistle, and to put it on a scale against a list like that is staggeringly tempting. Before Glenn passed, if someone had offered me all that in trade for a Weasel, I would seriously have tried to educate them in how lopsided the transaction was.

Of course, I am taking into consideration everything that's been said in support of keeping the whistle as well...that's why I haven't just thrown it up on the auction block!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I'm late, but I'll add one more comment.

You should keep it. It can only appreciate in value.

Then you can sell it for more money when your new tech job gets outsourced to Bangalore.

(I'd buy it from you then, but I'll be in that unemployment line, too.)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Kenith

Keep or sell

Post by Kenith »

I recently sold one of my water weasels and then under much deliberation. I do not think I would part with my thin weasel. Glenn told me once to take care of it and pass it on to children and grandchildren. (which I hope to do someday)

Ken
Happiness is playing bagpipe with a siamese cat..
Kenith

Recent Thin Weasel on ebay

Post by Kenith »

The most recent Thin Weasel I saw on ebay was a low G (three piece) that sold for $475.00

I do not think I would have parted with it for that price unless I really needed the money. BTW, It was a beauty.

Ken
Happiness is playing bagpipe with a siamese cat..